| refer to caption |
Gooden with the Cardinals in 2017.
|Born:||August 31, 1990|
|Height:||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight:||231 lb (105 kg)|
|High school:||Pflugerville (Pflugerville, Texas)|
|NFL Draft:||2013 / Round: 3 / Pick: 97|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2016|
Zaviar Gooden (born August 31, 1990) is an American football linebacker who is currently a free agent. He was drafted by the Tennessee Titans in the third round of the 2013 NFL Draft. He played college football at Missouri.
Gooden was born in Austin, Texas. He attended Pflugerville High School, and played for he Pflugerville Panthers high school football team. During high school, he played as both a safety and running back. Rivals.com rated Gooden as the 32nd best high school linebacker prospect his age, and the 56th best all round prospect in Texas. He graduated from high school with a 3.9 grade point average (GPA). Gooden received athletic scholarship offers from Oklahoma State, Purdue and Stanford, but chose to attend the University of Missouri.
He also spent four years on the track & field team in high school, competing in the 200-meter, long jump (20 ft 5 in), 4 × 100 m relay (42.98) and 4 × 400 m relay (3:21.17).
Gooden enrolled in the University of Missouri, where he played for coach Gary Pinkel's Missouri Tigers football team from 2009 to 2012. Before the start of his freshman season, Gooden made the transition from safety to linebacker. During his first season he was used as backup to the starting linebackers, but played in 13 games, making 30 tackles and forcing one fumble.
It was his sophomore season that Gooden became a starter and immediately made a big impact. From the 13 games, he led the team in defense, making 84 tackles and three sacks, breaking up five passes and making two interceptions. He kept up his momentum in his junior season, with 80 tackles, one sack, two interceptions and four broken up passes in his 13 games.
His senior season was broken up by a hamstring injury and he played only 10 games, from which he made 61 tackles and a single interception, which was returned for a touchdown versus Southeastern Louisiana Lions.
2013 NFL DraftEdit
Gooden posted good numbers at the NFL Scouting Combine, and during Pro Day he beat all linebackers in every regard except vertical jump.
|Ht||WtArm lengthHand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 1 in||234 lb31 3/5 in10 in||4.47 s||4.18 s||6.71 s||38.5 in||10 ft 11 in||27 reps|
On September 5, 2015, Gooden was placed on injured reserve with a hamstring injury, but was waived the following week.
On May 2, 2016, the Detroit Lions signed Gooden to a one-year contract. On September 3, 2016, he was waived by the Lions. He was signed to the practice squad on September 21, 2016. He was promoted to the active roster on September 24. He was released on September 26 and was re-signed to the practice squad the next day. He was released on October 13, 2016.
On September 2, 2017, Gooden was released by the Cardinals.
- ↑ "Titans Add Speedy Missouri LB Zaviar Gooden in Third Round". April 26, 2013. http://www.titansonline.com/news/article-1/Titans-Add-Speedy-Missouri-LB-Zaviar-Gooden-in-Third-Round/e67e9975-3476-4537-8fe2-636e18977bc5. Retrieved July 22, 2017.
- ↑ "Titans Trim Roster to 53 Players". September 5, 2015. http://www.titansonline.com/news/article-4/Titans-Trim-Roster-to-53-Players/e79224c0-aab9-4c35-87bd-d71dae53d3d3. Retrieved July 22, 2017.
- ↑ Birkett, Dave (May 2, 2016). "Detroit Lions sign LB Zaviar Gooden". Detroit Free Press. http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2016/05/02/zaviar-gooden-detroit-lions/83832840/. Retrieved May 2, 2016.
- ↑ "Lions establish 53-man roster". September 3, 2016. Archived from the original on October 15, 2017. https://web.archive.org/web/20171015012008/http://www.detroitlions.com/news/article-1/Lions-establish-53-man-roster/436b48fc-7f92-4d4a-8c0f-05664a3afe93.
- ↑ "Lions sign LB Zaviar Gooden from practice squad, waive WR Aaron Dobson". http://www.detroitlions.com/news/news-short/article-1/Lions-sign-LB-Zaviar-Gooden-from-practice-squad-waive-WR-Aaron-Dobson/62320498-54f2-4346-b0d5-a5036d3cac2d.
- ↑ "Lions re-sign WR Aaron Dobson". http://www.detroitlions.com/news/news-short/article-1/Lions-re-sign-WR-Aaron-Dobson/df3c453b-b5aa-408f-8d21-057ed3b83634.
- ↑ "Lions Cut LB Zaviar Gooden From Practice Squad, Sign LB Steve Longa". http://nfltraderumors.co/lions-cut-lb-zaviar-gooden-practice-squad-sign-lb-steve-longa/.
- ↑ Urban, Darren (November 1, 2016). "Cardinals bring back Boggs after Veldheer move". http://blog.azcardinals.com/2016/11/01/cardinals-bring-back-boggs-after-veldheer-move/.
- ↑ Urban, Darren (November 18, 2016). "Martin IR move increases Fua chance". http://blog.azcardinals.com/2016/11/18/martin-ir-move-increases-fua-chance/.
- ↑ Urban, Darren (September 2, 2017). "Cardinals Make Moves To Reach 53-Man Roster". Archived from the original on September 3, 2017. https://web.archive.org/web/20170903022302/https://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Cardinals-Make-Moves-To-Reach-53-Man-Roster/c2904f51-70b9-4e22-b995-854e40074123.