| refer to caption |
Grimble with the San Francisco 49ers
|No. 85 – Pittsburgh Steelers|
|Born:||September 22, 1992|
Las Vegas, Nevada
|Height:||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Weight:||261 lb (118 kg)|
|High school:||Bishop Gorman|
(Las Vegas, Nevada)
|Career highlights and awards
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
Grimble attended Bishop Gorman High School in Summerlin, Nevada. Named an USA Today All-American as a senior in 2009, he had 39 catches for 709 yards (18.2 avg.) with 9 touchdowns, helping Bishop Gorman to a 15–0 record and victory in the state 4A title game. As a junior in 2008, he had 13 receptions for 310 yards (23.8 avg.) with 4 touchdowns. He was selected to play in the 2010 Under Armour All-America Game in St. Petersburg, Florida.
After redshirting as a true freshman in 2010, Grimble started seven games in 2011, recording 15 catches for 144 yards (9.6 avg.) with 4 touchdowns. In 2012, Grimble shared starts with fellow tight end Randall Telfer. He started in nine games, appearing in all 12, recording 29 catches for 316 yards (10.9 avg.) with 5 touchdowns, and was named an honorable mention All-Pac-12. In 2013, he caught 25 passes for 271 yards and 2 touchdowns, and was named an All-Pac-12 selection for the second consecutive season.
Coming out of USC, analysts projected Grimble to be a seventh round selection or priority undrafted free agent. He was ranked as the 17th best tight end prospect available in the draft by DraftScout.com. Most analysts gave him positive reviews for his good hands, good frame, and ability to maintain possession while taking shots down the middle of the field.
|Ht||WtArm lengthHand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 4¼ in||257 lb33⅝ in10¼ in||4.90 s||1.70 s||2.85 s||4.79 s||7.41 s||30½ in||9 ft 2 in||16 reps|
New York Giants Edit
Grimble went undrafted in the 2014 NFL Draft, but received contract offers as an undrafted free agent from the Washington Redskins, Atlanta Falcons, San Francisco 49ers, and New York Giants. On May 11, 2014, the New York Giants signed Grimble as an undrafted free agent. He entered training camp competing with Adrien Robinson, Larry Donnell, Daniel Fells, and Kellen Davis for the vacant starting tight end position left by the departures of Brandon Myers and Bear Pascoe. On August 24, 2014, the Giants waived Grimble.
San Francisco 49ersEdit
On September 16, 2014, the San Francisco 49ers signed Grimble to their practice squad. On November 18, 2014, he was waived by the 49ers. On December 16, 2014, he was re-signed to the 49ers practice squad. On December 31, 2014, the 49ers signed Grimble to a two-year, $960,000 reserve/future contract
New England Patriots Edit
San Francisco 49ers (second stint)Edit
On December 16, 2014, Grimble was signed to the 49ers' practice squad. He signed a reserve/future contract with the 49ers on December 30, 2014.
On September 5, 2015, Grimble was waived by the 49ers.
Pittsburgh Steelers Edit
He entered the Steelers training camp competing for the backup tight end position with David Johnson and Paul Lang. Grimble was named the Steelers' third tight end on their depth chart to begin the season, behind veterans Jesse James and David Johnson.
He made his professional regular season debut in the Steelers' season-opening 38-16 victory over the Washington Redskins. The following game, he made his first career catch and caught his first career touchdown reception on a 20-yard pass from Ben Roethlisberger. In Week 3, he earned his first official career start during a 3-34 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles. He finished the 24-16 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals with two catches for 26 receiving yards and a touchdown. On December 25, 2016, Grimble caught his first career touchdown on a twenty-yard pass from quarterback Ben Roethlisberger on the opening drive of a 31-27 last-minute comeback victory over the Baltimore Ravens.
On February 8, 2017, Grimble signed a one-year deal to remain with the Steelers. Throughout training camp, Grimble competed with David Johnson and rookie Jake McGee for the backup tight end position. Although he showed more capability than both players, the Steelers traded for his former 49ers teammate Vance McDonald, making him the third tight end on their depth chart to begin the regular season.
On March 5, 2019, the Steelers placed an original round tender on Grimble.
Grimble's cousin, Jalen Grimble, played defensive tackle at Oregon State and his other cousin, Barkevious Mingo, is an NFL linebacker that currently plays for the Seattle Seahawks. During high school at Bishop Gorman, Grimble played with many talented football players including Baltimore Ravens offensive tackle Ronnie Stanley, Duke running back Shaq Powell, and Arizona quarterback Anu Solomon.
- ↑ Xavier Grimble – Yahoo Sports
- ↑ Gorman tight end Grimble commits to play for USC
- ↑ Tight end Xavier Grimble will enter NFL draft
- ↑ "Giants tight end Xavier Grimble channels Mark Bavaro in attempt to make roster". May 21, 2014. https://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/05/giants_tight_end_xavier_grimble_channels_mark_bavaro_in_attempt_to_make_roster.html. Retrieved September 28, 2018.
- ↑ "Ourlads.com: New York Giant's depth chart: 08/01/2014".
- ↑ Giants announce roster cuts; 75-man roster set
- ↑ "Ex-Giants news: Xavier Grimble lands with 49ers; Ahmad Bradshaw stars in Monday Night Football".
- ↑ "New England Patriots: Player Bio-Xavier Grimble".
- ↑ David Lucille's (December 16, 2014). "49ers sign Desmond Bishop, sign Xavier Grimble to practice squad, place Kassim Osgood on injured reserve".
- ↑ "Spotrac.com: Xavier Grimble contract".
- ↑ Patriots sign TE Xavier Grimble and LS Charley Hughlett to practice squad
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 "Xavier Grimble Transactions". https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/xavier-grimble-player-transactions.
- ↑ "Sportrac.com: Xavier Grimble contract".
- ↑ "NFL Transactions: Monday 1/18 - NFL Trade Rumors -" (in en-US). NFL Trade Rumors. http://nfltraderumors.co/nfl-transactions-monday-118/.
- ↑ "Ourlads.com: Pittsburgh Steeler's Depth Chart".
- ↑ "NFL Player Profile: Xavier Grumble".
- ↑ Gantt, Darin (February 8, 2017). "Steelers bring back tight end Xavier Grimble". http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/08/steelers-bring-back-tight-end-xavier-grimble/.
- ↑ Williams, Charean (March 5, 2019). "Steelers putting original-round tender on Xavier Grimble". Pro Football Talk. NBC Sports. https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/05/steelers-putting-original-round-tender-on-xavier-grimble/.
- ↑ "NFL Draft Profile: Xavier Grimble".