Campbell at Michigan Stadium, September 2012
|No. -- New York Jets|
|Date of birth:July 6, 1991|
|Place of birth: Detroit, Michigan|
|High School: Cass Technical High School|
|NFL Draft: 2013 / Round: 6 / Pick: 178|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
|*New York Jets ( 2013–present)|
|Roster status: Unsigned draft pick|
|Career highlights and awards|
|*2012 All-Big Ten Conference honorable mention|
Will Campbell (born July 6, 1991) is an American football offensive lineman for the New York Jets of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Jets in the sixth round of the 2013 NFL Draft. He played college football at Michigan.
He played high school football under head coach Thomas Wilcher at Cass Technical High School in Detroit. While in high school, the 6 foot, 5 inch defensive tackle was also the team's punter and kicker and ran the 40-yard dash in 4.9 seconds. He played in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl, was selected as a first-team All-American by Parade magazine, EA Sports, and SuperPrep magazine. He was ranked as the best high school player in Michigan, the best defensive player in the Midwest, and one of the top high school players in the United States. Campbell had numerous scholarships offers and eventually narrowed his choice to Miami, LSU, and Michigan.
He had committed to play for Michigan while Lloyd Carr was head coach, but reopened his recruiting in September 2008 after Rich Rodriguez took over as the head coach. In January 2009, on the sidelines of the Army All-American Bowl, Campbell committed to Michigan.
Campbell enrolled early at Michigan in January 2009 and participated in the Michigan football team's spring practice. During the 2009 season, Campbell appeared as a true freshman in all 12 games on special teams and played in nine games as a defensive tackle.
Midway through the 2010 season, head coach Rich Rodriguez assigned Campbell to the offensive line. He also appeared as a fullback in goal line situations. He appeared in all 13 games for Michigan and received his second varsity letter.
When new head coach Brady Hoke took over in January 2011, Campbell met with Hoke and asked to return to the defense. In March 2011, Hoke announced that Campbell was returning to the defense. Campbell appeared in all 13 games for the 2011 Michigan team. He recovered a fumble in Michigan's come-from-behind victory over Notre Dame in the first night game ever played at Michigan Stadium. After a disappointing showing in his first two seasons, Campbell won praise in the press for his improved play in 2011.
In late May 2012, Campbell was charged with felony malicious-destruction-of-property arising out of an incident on April 7 in which the 322-pound athlete "slid across the hood" of a Lincoln Town Car, causing damage to the hood. He reached a plea deal in June 2012 in which the felony charge was waived in exchange for a guilty plea to a misdemeanor charge and an agreement to pay $2,100 in restitution to the vehicle's owner.
"Overweight and out of shape for most of his career, Campbell generally spent the first week of Michigan football practice catching his breath and figuring out how he'd make it through the first month of the season. Not this time, though. 'I'm not huffing and puffing anymore,' the senior defensive tackle said after practice Monday. 'I'm not dying right now.'"
Teammate Taylor Lewan added, "His conditioning shows it. You should seem [sic] him run – it's like a gazelle. Unreal." Team captain Denard Robinson joked: "Will shows off his stomach more than I do. You can tell that he lost that weight."
Campbell has been a starter at defensive tackle for the 2012 Michigan Wolverines football team. He appeared in all of Michigan's first nine games. He totaled a career-high five tackles and had an unassisted sack in the season opener against Alabama. He has appeared in 47 consecutive games for Michigan. He was a 2012 All-Big Ten honorable mention selection by the media for the 2012 Wolverines.
New York Jets
- "Will Campbell Profile". University of Michigan. http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/campbell_william00.html. Retrieved November 11, 2012.
- Alex Prosperi (March 27, 2009). "Campbell settling in early at Michigan". The Michigan Daily. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=XmNjAAAAIBAJ&sjid=FXkNAAAAIBAJ&pg=5468,2391148&dq=will-campbell+michigan&hl=en.
- John Heuser (February 5, 2009). MLive.com. http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/football/index.ssf/2009/02/defensive_lineman_william_camp.html.
- Michael Rothstein (April 4, 2012). "Slimmer Campbell must play big: Senior has sizable shoes to fill along Michigan's defensive line". ESPN.com. http://espn.go.com/colleges/michigan/football/story/_/id/7774143/will-campbell-big-shoes-fill-michigan-wolverines.
- "UM's Will Campbell back on defense". The Detroit News. March 9, 2011.
- "Campbell shows recruit rankings can be inflated". Detroit Free Press. August 18, 2011. http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/freep/access/2428603591.html?FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Aug+18%2C+2011&author=DREW%20SHARP&pub=Detroit+Free+Press&desc=Campbell+shows+recruit+rankings+can+be+inflated&pqatl=google.
- Kyle Meinke (October 3, 2011). "Michigan defensive tackle Will Campbell receives more praise for his improving play, growing role". AnnArbor.com. http://www.annarbor.com/sports/um-football/michigan-defensive-tackle-will-campbell-receives-more-praise-for-his-improving-play-growing-role/.
- Kyle Feldscher (May 31, 2012). "Michigan defensive lineman Will Campbell arraigned on misdemeanor, felony vandalism charges". AnnArbor.com. http://www.annarbor.com/news/crime/u-m-defensive-tackle-william-campbell-arraigned-on-criminal-vandalism-charges/#.UCK9NKDB29s.
- Mark Snyder (June 1, 2012). "Michigan's William Campbell faces two vandalism charges". USA Today. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/bigten/story/2012-06-01/michigan-william-campbell-vandalism-charges/55328804/1. Retrieved June 24, 2012.
- Mark Snyder (June 14, 2012). "Michigan DT Will Campbell reaches plea deal in court case". Detroit Free Press. http://www.freep.com/article/20120614/SPORTS06/120614022/michigan-football-william-campbell-will-arrest. Retrieved June 24, 2012.
- "Michigan's Will Campbell gets plea deal in car damage case". The Sporting News. June 15, 2012. http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-06-15/will-campbell-plea-deal-car-hood-michigan-wolverines.
- "William Campbell pleads guilty". ESPN.com. June 14, 2012. http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8051317/michigan-wolverines-campbell-pleads-guilty-misdemeanor-destruction-charge.
- Nick Baumgardner (Augsut 7, 2012). "Slimmed down Will Campbell says he owes Michigan football fans a great senior season". AnnArbor.com. http://www.annarbor.com/sports/um-football/slimmed-down-will-campbell-says-he-owes-michigan-football-fans-a-great-senior-season/#.UCK2bGlWq3A.
- Mark Snyder (August 2, 2012). "Michigan's Will Campbell has trimmed down, is ready to show how much he's grown". Orlando Sentinel. http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-08-02/sports/sns-mct-michigans-will-campbell-has-trimmed-down-is-20120802_1_brady-hoke-taylor-lewan-detroit-free-press.
- Mark Snyder (August 26, 2012). "Michigan's Will Campbell tackling expectations and leadership role". Detroit Free Press. http://www.freep.com/article/20120826/SPORTS06/308260256/Michigan-s-Will-Campbell-tackling-expectations-and-leadership-role.
- Michael Rothstein (August 8, 2012). "Campbell must take a stand: Senior defensive tackle is running out of time to deliver on his promise". ESPN.com. http://espn.go.com/colleges/michigan/football/story/_/id/8241900/will-campbell-step-forward-michigan-wolverines.
- Brad Galli (August 7, 2012). "Michigan's Will Campbell slims down, looks to reach potential". WXYZ. http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/sports/michigans-will-campbell-slims-down-looks-to-reach-potential.
- Nick Baumgardner (June 27, 2012). "Greg Mattison tells BTN that Michigan senior DT Will Campbell 'has to be' the leader up front in 2012". AnnArbor.com. http://www.annarbor.com/sports/um-football/greg-mattison-tells-btn-that-michigan-senior-dt-will-campbell-has-to-be-the-leader-up-front-in-2012/.
- Nick Baumgardner (March 29, 2012). "Done with excuses and no longer 'lazy,' Will Campbell hopes for big senior season at Michigan". AnnArbor.com. http://www.annarbor.com/sports/um-football/done-with-excuses-and-no-longer-lazy-michigan-football-dt-will-campbell-discusses-his-spring/.
- Kyle Meinke (July 31, 2012). "Michigan's Will Campbell has been praised before, but Brady Hoke explains why this year is different". AnnArbor.com. http://www.annarbor.com/sports/um-football/michigans-will-campbell-morphs-into-point-guard-in-shape-and-attitude/.
- Stephen J. Nesbitt (August 6, 2012). "Slim Campbell poised to make big impact as a senior". The Michigan Daily. http://www.michigandaily.com/sports/slim-campbell-poised-make-big-impact-senior.
- Michael Rothstein (March 22, 2012). "DT Campbell running out of chances". ESPN.com. http://espn.go.com/colleges/michigan/football/story/_/id/7719165/michigan-wolverines-need-campbell-reach-potential.
- "Lewan, Hagerup Win Top Position Awards at Big Ten Banquet". MGoBlue.com. CBS Interactive. November 26, 2012. http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112612aad.html. Retrieved November 27, 2012.
- "Big Ten Announces 2012 All-Big Ten Teams and Select Individual Award Winners". BigTen.org. CBS Interactive. November 26, 2012. http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112612aae.html. Retrieved November 27, 2012.
- Cimini, Rich (27 April 2013). "Sixth round: OL William Campbell". ESPN New York. Archived from the original on 29 April 2013. http://www.webcitation.org/6GFnhjUzk. Retrieved 29 April 2013.