|No. 23 Sacramento Mountain Lions|
|Date of birth:July 24, 1981|
|Place of birth: Beckley, West Virginia|
|Height: 5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)||Weight: 193 lb (88 kg)|
|College: Southern California|
|NFL Draft: 2004 / Round: 4 / Pick: 102|
|Debuted in 2004 for the Miami Dolphins|
|Roster status: Active|
|CFL status: Import|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Stats at NFL.com|
|Stats at CFL.ca|
William Starling Poole (born July 24, 1981 in Beckley, West Virginia) is an American football defensive back who is currently playing for the Sacramento Mountain Lions of the United Football League. He was drafted by the Miami Dolphins in the fourth round of the 2004 NFL Draft. He played college football at Southern California.
He is a University of Southern California graduate whose senior team split the collegiate national championship with Louisiana State University. He first went to Boston College, but had to leave for violations. Following that he went to Ventura College. Best known for his standout performance against Michigan which included two sacks in the 2004 Rose Bowl (played on January 1) en route to a USC 28-14 victory.
Awards and honorsEdit
- Junior College Athletic Bureau All-American (2002)
- SuperPrep JUCO 100 (2002)
- Western State Conference Mountain Division Defensive MVP (2002)
- Ventura College Team MVP (2002)
- Pac-10 Defensive Player of the Week (November 5, 2003)
- First-team All-Pac-10 selection by CollegeFootballNews.com, ESPN.com and Rivals.com (2003)
- Second-team All-American by the AP and CollegeFootballNews.com
- Honorable mention Rivals.com All-American (2003)
- USC Co-Special Teams Player of the Year (2003)
He was drafted in the fourth round by the Miami Dolphins in 2004. Plagued with knee injuries throughout his career, he played during a promising rookie season and was placed on IR during the 2005 and 2006 seasons then was waived by Miami on December 19, 2006. He tried out for the New Orleans Saints on the weekend of May 12–13, 2007.
First stint with ChiefsEdit
Poole signed a two-year deal with the Kansas City Chiefs on July 27, 2007. However, he was released by the team on September 1 during final cuts.
First stint with ArgonautsEdit
Second stint with ChiefsEdit
On May 27, 2008, Poole was re-signed by the Chiefs. He was released on August 10.
Second stint ArgonautsEdit
Sacramento Mountain LionsEdit