Montgomery with the Denver Broncos
|No. 66, 63, 64|
|Date of birth:February 13, 1983|
|Place of birth: Brunswick, Maine|
|College: Virginia Tech|
|NFL Draft: 2006 / Round: 7 / Pick: 234|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
|* Carolina Panthers ( 2006)|
|Career highlights and awards|
|* Honorable mention All-ACC (2004)
Will Montgomery (born February 13, 1983) is a former American football center that played ten seasons in National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Carolina Panthers in the seventh round of the 2006 NFL Draft. He played college football at Virginia Tech.
Montgomery was drafted by the Carolina Panthers in the 7th round (234th overall) of the 2006 NFL Draft. He played a total of six games in the 2006 NFL season. The Panthers waived Montgomery on September 2, 2007.
New York Jets
Montgomery signed with the New York Jets on September 19, 2007. He was waived by the Jets on September 25, but re-signed on September 29, 2008. Montgomery was waived again on October 14, 2008.
In the 2009 season, he played in all 16 games, but had only three starts as right guard.
In the 2011 season, Montgomery was moved from his original position of right guard to center. Although he became the starting center, he was moved to left guard after Kory Lichtensteiger suffered a torn ACL in Week 6. In Week 9 against the San Francisco 49ers, Montgomery moved back to center after Maurice Hurt took over as left guard. At the end of the season, he started in all 16 games for the first time in his entire career.
Originally scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent in the 2012 season, Montgomery was re-signed by the Redskins to a four-year, $12 million contract. After the NFL cut $36 million from the Redskins' combined salary cap of the next two years, the Redskins restructured Montgomery's contract so $2 million of cap space was gained on March 16, 2012.
In the Week 13 game against the New York Giants, Montgomery jumped into a pile-on in an attempt to recover the ball that Alfred Morris fumbled. Linval Joseph tried to pull Montgomery out by yanking on his leg, but he reacted by kicking him in the groin. Joseph then stomped on Montgomery's stomach. On December 7, Montgomery was fined $10,000 for the incident. Late in the Week 15 game against the Cleveland Browns, he left the game after a player on the Browns team fell on his leg. The next day it was confirmed that he suffered a Grade 2 MCL sprain in his left leg. Montgomery was able to start in the next game against the Philadelphia Eagles.
Montgomery returned as the Redskins' starting center and not only started every game, but he played every snap.
On March 14, 2014, the Redskins informed Montgomery he was being released, saving the team $1.92 million in salary cap room.
On April 1, 2014, the Denver Broncos and Montgomery agreed to terms on a one-year contract. Montgomery started the final 8 games at center, helping Denver rank 8th in rushing yards (1,032) in the second half of the season.
After retiring from football, Montgomery lost roughly around 80 pounds by December 2017.
- "Chicago Bears: Will Montgomery". http://www.chicagobears.com/team/roster/Will-Montgomery/921c4537-15fb-457a-8341-d0da943df3c5. Retrieved 2015-12-16.
- "Redskins Sign OL Will Montgomery". NECN.com. http://www.necn.com/pages/landing_weather?blockID=196896&tagID=24967. Retrieved 2010-03-13.
- "Chatman Returns; Graham Released Again". NewYorkJets.com. http://blog.newyorkjets.com/tag/will-montgomery/. Retrieved 2008-09-29.
- "Will Montgomery". sbnation.com. https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2181/will-montgomery. Retrieved 2012-01-01.
- Jones, Mike (September 26, 2011). "Gameday Q&A: Will Montgomery on the switch to center, growing up a Redskins fan, and ‘Gladiator’". WashingtonPost.com. https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/gameday-qanda-will-montgomery-on-the-switch-to-center-growing-up-a-redskins-fan-and-gladiator/2011/09/25/gIQAhW11xK_blog.html. Retrieved 2011-09-26.
- "Will Montgomery acing new job as Redskins’ center". WashingtonTimes.com. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/oct/14/will-montgomery-acing-new-job-redskins-center/?page=all. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- "Redskins’ Will Montgomery says acclimation to left guard will come". WashingtonTimes.com. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/oct/14/will-montgomery-acing-new-job-redskins-center/?page=all. Retrieved 2011-11-03.
- Jones, Mike (November 6, 2011). "Roy Helu, Leonard Hankerson, Maurice Hurt to start for Redskins.". WashingtonPost.com. https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/roy-helu-leonard-hankerson-maurice-hurt-to-start-for-redskins/2011/11/06/gIQAltdhsM_blog.html. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- Jones, Mike (February 26, 2012). "Center Will Montgomery and Redskins agree to four-year deal". WashingtonPost.com. https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/center-will-montgomery-and-redskins-agree-to-four-year-deal/2012/02/25/gIQA9iCaaR_blog.html. Retrieved 2012-02-25.
- Jones, Mike (February 28, 2012). "Will Montgomery’s contract worth $12 million over four years". WashingtonPost.com. https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/will-montgomerys-contract-worth-12-million-over-four-years/2012/02/28/gIQAVU0kgR_blog.html. Retrieved 2012-02-28.
- Maske, Mark (March 16, 2012). "Redskins restructure center Will Montgomery’s contract to gain cap space". WashingtonPost.com. https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/redskins-restructure-center-will-montgomerys-contract-to-gain-cap-space/2012/03/16/gIQAMNOBHS_blog.html. Retrieved 2012-03-16.
- Hanzus, Dan (December 7, 2012). "Fines roundup: Linval Joseph, Will Montgomery docked". NFL.com. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000107319/article/fines-roundup-linval-joseph-will-montgomery-docked. Retrieved 2012-12-07.
- Maske, Mark (December 16, 2012). "Injuries suddenly piling up on Redskins’ offensive line". WashingtonPost.com. https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2012/12/16/injuries-suddenly-piling-up-on-redskins-offensive-line/. Retrieved 2012-12-23.
- Jones, Mike (December 19, 2012). "Mike Shanahan: Robert Griffin III not yet cleared to play Sunday". WashingtonPost.com. https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2012/12/19/mike-shanahan-robert-griffin-iii-not-yet-cleared-to-play-sunday/. Retrieved 2012-12-23.
- Boyer, Zac (March 14, 2014). "Redskins continue line shuffling by releasing Will Montgomery". WashingtonTimes.com. http://washingtontimes.csnwashington.com/news/2014/mar/14/redskins-continue-line-shuffling-releasing-will-mo/. Retrieved 2014-03-14.
- Broncos agree to terms with Montgomery
- "Broncos agree to 1-year deal with Will Montgomery". 9News.com. April 1, 2014. http://www.9news.com/story/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/2014/04/01/broncos-montgomery-agree/7186845/. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- Bears release Garza, sign Montgomery
- "Bears center Will Montgomery out for season". http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-will-montgomery-out-for-season-20151005-story.html. Retrieved 2015-12-16.
- Steinberg, Dan (December 20, 2017). "After losing more than 80 pounds, former Redskin's 'not scary anymore.'". WashingtonPost.com. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/12/20/after-losing-more-than-80-pounds-former-redskins-not-scary-anymore/. Retrieved August 4, 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Will Montgomery.|