| refer to caption |
Saunders with the Steelers in 2011
|Born:||January 16, 1989|
|Height:||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight:||254 lb (115 kg)|
|High school:||Durham (NC) Riverside|
|Career NFL statistics|
Weslye Saunders (born January 16, 1989) is an American football tight end who is currently a free agent. He was signed by the Pittsburgh Steelers as an undrafted free agent in 2011. He played college football at South Carolina.
After signing as an undrafted free agent for the Steelers on July 25, 2011, Saunders made the 53-man roster as the team's third string tight-end on September 6. He caught his first regular season pass for two yards in a 23–20 win against the Indianapolis Colts on September 25. He scored his first touchdown in a two-yard pass reception in a 13–9 Sunday night win against the Kansas City Chiefs on November 27.
He was suspended for the first 4 games of the 2012 season for taking Adderall. He was released by the Pittsburgh Steelers on October 12, 2012. Saunders was suspended the first 8 games of the 2013 season for taking a not yet published drug.
Saunders was signed by the Colts on October 17, 2012. He was then cut on July 25, 2013 following a suspension. Saunders was re-signed by the Colts on October 29, 2013 after he served his 8-game suspension. Wesley was waived by the Colts on August 30, 2014. He re-signed with the team on November 18, 2014, but was waived again on December 2, 2014.
Saunders was signed by the Birmingham Iron of the Alliance of American Football but was waived before the start of the 2019 regular season. He was re-signed on February 14, 2019, but was waived again on February 25. He was re-signed again on February 28, and waived again on March 19.
|Career Totals||(3 seasons)||33||10||90||9.0||1||18|
- ↑ "Saunders Signs with Steelers". http://www.jdwlaw.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=150:saunders-signs-with-steelers&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=55.
- ↑ "WordPress.com". https://en.wordpress.com/typo/?subdomain=meatlockersports.
- ↑ http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/09/07/1466666/saunders-makes-steelers-roster.html
- ↑ "Steelers vs. Colts - Box Score - September 25, 2011 - ESPN". http://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=310925011.
- ↑ "On the Steelers: Both offenses sputter throughout game, but turnover battle is difference". http://old.post-gazette.com/pg/11332/1193136-66.stm.
- ↑ http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Release-Tight-End-Weslye-Saunders/76fd1156-e9b2-4d70-b6e3-e1e096adf9e7
- ↑ Colts’ Weslye Saunders suspended 8 games by NFL for second PED violation, July 19, 2013.
- ↑ Colts bring back TE Weslye Saunders, Xavier Nixon, October 29, 2013.
- ↑ Waived by the Colts, August 30, 2014
- ↑ Wilkening, Mike. "Colts sign OT Andrew McDonald, waive TE Weslye Saunders". Pro Football Talk. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/02/colts-sign-ot-andrew-mcdonald-waive-te-weslye-saunders/. Retrieved December 2, 2014.