|Full name||Watsco Center at the University of Miami|
|Location||Greater Miami Area|
|Coordinates|| / ,|
|Broke ground||April 4, 2001|
|Opened||January 4, 2003|
|Owner||University of Miami|
|Operator||Oak View Group Facilities|
|Construction cost||$48 million|
($53.4 million in 2018 dollars)
|General Contractor||Turner Construction|
|Former names||Ryder Center (construction/planning)|
UM Convocation Center (2003–05)
BankUnited Center (2005–16)
|Tenants||Miami Hurricanes (NCAA) (2003–present)|
Miami Vice Squad (NIFL) (2007)
Miami Inferno (UIFL) (2014)
The Watsco Center (originally named the University of Miami Convocation Center) is a multi-purpose arena on the campus of the University of Miami in Coral Gables, Florida. The venue hosts concerts, family shows, trade shows, lecture series, university events and sporting events, including all University of Miami men's and women's basketball games.
Founding[edit | edit source]
The arena opened in 2003 as the University of Miami Convocation Center, and is home to the Miami Hurricanes Men's and Women's basketball teams. Events held in the Watsco Center include concerts, sporting events, lectures, award shows, high school graduations, and Men's and Women's basketball games. It is the largest arena ever built on campus.
Prior to the opening of the Watsco Center, the school played its games at the Miami Arena since its opening in 1988.
Ranking[edit | edit source]
The 2007 issue of Venues Today, one of the entertainment industry's leading publications, reports that the Watsco Center outperformed all but one other venue in Florida in its size category for number of concerts and touring events held in 2006.
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Palm Beach Post Wire Services (April 5, 2001). "Finally! Work to Start on UM Basketball Arena". The Palm Beach Post. http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=PBPB&p_theme=pbpb&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=0EBC1B2D77DE22BD&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM. Retrieved November 22, 2011.
- Consumer Price Index (estimate) 1800–2008. Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis. Retrieved December 7, 2010.
- "What's on Deck?". Sports Business Journal. Advance Publications. July 30, 2001. http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2001/07/20010730/Special-Report/Whats-On-Deck.aspx.
- Kaufman, Michelle (January 23, 2013). "Durham’s Julian Gamble to star for Miami Hurricanes against No. 1 Duke". The Miami Herald. Archived from the original on April 28, 2013. http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/23/3195692/durhams-julian-gamble-to-star.html. Retrieved January 27, 2013.
- Palmer, Heidi M. (April 4, 2007). "University of Miami's BankUnited Center Ranks Second Among Florida Venues By National Magazine". University of Miami News. Archived from the original on May 23, 2011. https://web.archive.org/web/20110523055429/http://www6.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/0,1770,2593-1;54245-3,00.html. Retrieved January 31, 2009.
[edit | edit source]
|40px||This article about a sports venue in Florida is a stub. You can help The American Football Database by expanding it.|