|This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. Please help by adding reliable sources. Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately, especially if potentially libelous or harmful. (February 2012)|
Warde J. Manuel (born c. 1968) is an American college athletics administrator and former American football player. He was named the Director of Athletics at the University of Connecticut on February 12, 2012. From August 29, 2005 to February 12, 2012, Manuel was the athletic director at the University at Buffalo, The State University of New York. Prior to arriving at Buffalo, Manuel was an associate athletic director at the University of Michigan.
Early life and playing career
Manuel played high school football at Brother Martin High School in New Orleans. He was a first team high school All-American. He enrolled at the University of Michigan where he played defensive tackle for the Wolverines from 1986 to 1989 before suffering a career-ending neck injury.
Manuel was responsible for the hiring of Turner Gill as the head coach of Buffalo's football team. Under Gill the team achieved its first winning season and first invitation to a post season bowl game since the program joined Division I (NCAA) athletics in 1999. Manuel has helped change Buffalo's image and marketing strategy. Immediately after he took office, Manuel replaced the old "Bull Head" logo with a sleeker, more modern bull. Manuel also increased the athletics budget from $11 million to $25 million within three years of his hiring.
- Viera, Mark (February 13, 2012). "Tests for New Athletic Director at UConn". The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/14/sports/ncaabasketball/warde-j-manuel-uconns-new-athletic-director-faces-immediate-challenges.html. Retrieved February 15, 2012.
- "Warde Manuel Named Director of Athletics". uconnhuskies.com. http://www.uconnhuskies.com/genrel/021212aad.html. Retrieved 12 February 2012.
- "University of Michigan Football Rosters". Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan. http://184.108.40.206/allroster/fbsearch.htm.
- Manuel's can-do attitude does plenty (Buffalo News Archieves)
- New Buffalo trifecta busting racial barriers (USAToday)