| Taylor Thompson |
Thompson with the Titans in 2013
|Born:||October 19, 1989|
|Height:||6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)|
|Weight:||268 lb (122 kg)|
|High school:||Prosper (Prosper, Texas)|
|NFL Draft:||2012 / Round: 5 / Pick: 145|
|Career NFL statistics|
Taylor Thompson (born October 19, 1989) is a former American football tight end for the Tennessee Titans of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Titans in the fifth round (pick 145 overall) of the 2012 NFL Draft. He was released during minicamps on June 18, 2015. He played college football at Southern Methodist.
Thompson attended Prosper High School, where he was a multi-sport athlete excelling in Basketball, Baseball, Track and Football. Following his Junior year, Thompson was rated as a three-star recruit by Rivals.com and Scout.com. His senior year he was selected to the Texas All-State Team, both a Tight end and Defensive end. He was also selected to Dave Campbell's Super Team, ranked as the #1 tight end in Texas for the 2008 class, and All-Texas High School Team.
Under head coach June Jones, Thompson was a 4-year starter at SMU. In his Sophomore season, he was awarded honorable mention All-C-USA following the season. He was selected to the First Team All-C-USA his junior and senior year. Thompson is currently ranked 6th all-time at SMU for sacks recorded, with 18.
Professional career Edit
The Tennessee Titans selected Thompson in the fifth round (145th overall). He was the eighth tight end selected during the 2012 NFL Draft. Under head coach Mike Munchak, Thompson joined tight ends Craig Stevens and Jared Cook. During his time in Tennessee, Thompson made multiple contributions on offense as well as special teams. In 2014, Thompson received his first NFL touchdown from quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. In 2015, the Titans waived Thompson during summer mini-camps following a right knee injury.
- ↑ Titans pick SMU TE Taylor Thompson in 5th round
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 "Southern Methodist Profile". smumustangs.com. Archived from the original on April 26, 2012. https://web.archive.org/web/20120426081759/http://www.smumustangs.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/thompson_taylor00.html.
- ↑ "SMU Mustangs football statistical leaders" (in en), Wikipedia, 2018-12-19, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=SMU_Mustangs_football_statistical_leaders&oldid=874538452, retrieved 2019-02-12
- ↑ "2012 NFL Draft" (in en), Wikipedia, 2019-02-10, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=2012_NFL_Draft&oldid=882619083, retrieved 2019-02-12
- ↑ Gray, Jeff (2013-11-10). "Jaguars pick up 1st win of the season over Titans". https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/11/10/5087588/titans-jaguars-2013-results-score.
- ↑ "Titans Release TIght End Taylor Thompson" (in en-US). https://www.tennessean.com/story/titansinsider/2015/06/18/titans-taylor-thompson-ken-whisenhunt/28945565/.
- Career statistics and player information from NFL.com • ESPN • Pro-Football-Reference
- Tennessee Titans bio
- SMU Mustangs bio
|This biographical article relating to an American football tight end born in the 1980s is a stub. You can help The American Football Database by expanding it.|