Gooden in 2009.
|Date of birth:October 7, 1984|
|Place of birth: Fort Lauderdale, Florida|
|High School: Ft. Lauderdale (FL) Aquinas|
|Height: 6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)||Weight: 242 lb (110 kg)|
|College: Miami (FL)|
|NFL Draft: 2008 / Round: 3 / Pick: 71|
|Debuted in 2008 for the Baltimore Ravens|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2012|
|Stats at NFL.com|
Tavares Gooden (born October 7, 1984) is an American football linebacker who is currently a free agent. He was drafted by the Baltimore Ravens in the third round of the 2008 NFL Draft. He played college football at the University of Miami.
Gooden played high school football at St. Thomas Aquinas High School in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, where he was a two-time Class 4A All-State selection. One of his teammates was Nate Salley. As a junior in 2001, he made 87 tackles, 12.5 sacks and three forced fumbles. In his senior year, he was a first-team All-Broward selection at defensive end.
In his true freshman season with the University of Miami, Gooden played in all 13 games, almost entirely on special teams, where he made 10 tackles (six solo). By his sophomore year he became starting weakside linebacker, but suffered a shoulder injury and did not start the final three regular-season games, though he did see action. For the season, Gooden totaled 83 tackles (third on the team), 10 tackles for loss, a half sack and three pass breakups. He started in the 2004 Peach Bowl and made six tackles (two solo), one tackle for loss and one pass breakup.
Starting his junior season at strongside linebacker, Gooden suffered a dislocated left shoulder in the first quarter of the season opener vs. Florida State, and missed the remainder of the year. He received a medical redshirt and underwent surgery on October 3, 2005.
In 2006, he returned as the Hurricanes' strongside linebacker, playing in 11 games and making four starts. He totalled 41 tackles (27 solo), adding five tackles for loss, three QB pressures and two pass breakups. Gooden also made a season-high nine tackles in the 2006 MPC Computers Bowl.
2008 NFL DraftEdit
Although considered one of the better linebacker prospects in the 2008 NFL Draft, Gooden raised some concerns due to his history of injuries, including a dislocated left shoulder. He was drafted by the Baltimore Ravens in the third round (71st overall) of the 2008 NFL Draft.
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP||Wonderlic|
|6 ft 1 1⁄4 in||234 lb||4.62 s||1.50 s||2.62 s||X s||X s||35 in||9 ft 10 in||22 rep|
He had only 5 tackles in 4 games of the 2008 season. Gooden started at ILB alongside Ray Lewis for the 2009 season. He was oft-injured and only played 12 games. He made 47 tackles. Back to being a backup in 2010, Gooden had just another mediocre season with 18 tackles, and was often hurt.
He was released on September 3, 2011.
San Francisco 49ersEdit
- ↑ "Inside linebackers 2003", Rivals.com, February 5, 2003, http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-183.
- ↑ "Tavares Gooden: The Next Great Ravens Linebacker", BaltimoreBeatdown.com, May 11, 2009, http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2009/5/11/871861/tavares-gooden-the-next-great.
- ↑ "Tavares Gooden Draft Profile", Sports Illustrated, http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2008/draft/players/5624.html, retrieved May 14, 2010.
- ↑ "Tavares Gooden Combine Profile", NFL.com, http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/tavares-gooden?id=1361, retrieved May 14, 2010.
- ↑ "Tavares Gooden Draft Profile", NFLDraftScout.com, http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=11014&draftyear=2008&genpos=ILB, retrieved May 14, 2010.
- ↑ "Tavares Gooden cut as Ravens get to 53". ProFootballTalk.com. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/03/tavares-gooden-cut-as-ravens-get-to-53/.
- ↑ "Tavares Gooden lands with 49ers". ProFootballTalk.com. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/06/tavares-gooden-lands-with-49ers/.