|No. 94 Cleveland Browns|
|Date of birth:January 18, 1989|
|Place of birth: Sweeny, Texas|
|High School: Sweeny (TX)|
|College: Texas Christian|
|NFL Draft: 2012 / Round: 5 / Pick: 147|
|Debuted in 2012 for the Cleveland Browns|
|*Buffalo Bills ( 2012)*
|Roster status: Active|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2012|
Ricky "Tank" Carder, Jr. (born January 18, 1989) is an American football linebacker for the Cleveland Browns of the National Football League. Carder played college football at TCU. He was a 2010 All-American selection by the American Football Coaches Association.
He was selected in the 5th round, 147th overall in the 2012 NFL Draft by the Buffalo Bills. On August 31, 2012 the Buffalo Bills released Carder. He signed with the Cleveland Browns on September 1, 2012.
Carder received the nickname "Tank" after weighing 33 pounds only 18 months after birth. When he was 10 years old, Carder was a BMX World Champion.
Controversy[edit | edit source]
On November 21, 2012, Carder sent a tweet calling another twitter user a “faggot,” leading to calls that he be fined and suspended. The tweet was in response to a tweet about Call of Duty made by a satirical comedy account. Carder stood by his statements, tweeting “I don’t agree with being gay or lesbian at all, but saying faggot doesn’t make me a homophobe, it’s just a word.” Carder has since deleted the tweets and apologized, claiming his tweets did not reflect his character.
References[edit | edit source]
- Evans, Thayer (January 4, 2010). "From Broken Boy to T.C.U. Tackler". The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/04/sports/ncaafootball/04tcu.html.
- "Oregon's James Headlines 2010 FBS Coaches' All-America Team". AFCA. November 29, 2010. http://www.afca.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=9300&ATCLID=205038263.
- "Tank Carder Recruiting Profile". Rivals.com. http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Tank-Carder-60708.
- "Carder comes up clutch". FOX Sports on MSN. January 1, 2011. http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/tank-carder-seals-tcu-rose-bowl-win-with-clutch-play-010111. Retrieved 2011-01-02.
- "Storied past just part of Carder's tale". Buffalo News. April 29, 2012. http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article833346.ece. Retrieved 2012-04-30.
- Zeigler, Cyd. "Cleveland Browns linebacker Tank Carder Tweets ‘faggot,’ doesn’t agree with being gay". OutSports.com. Vox Media, Inc.. http://outsports.com/jocktalkblog/2012/11/26/cleveland-browns-linebacker-tank-carder-tweets-faggot-doesnt-agree-with-being-gay/. Retrieved 27 November 2012.
- Zeigler, Cyd. "Tank Carder thinks you’re an idiot, issues non-apology". Outsports.com. Vox Media, Inc.. http://outsports.com/jocktalkblog/2012/11/26/tank-carder-thinks-youre-an-idiot-issues-non-apology/. Retrieved 27 November 2012.
- Newell, Sean. "Browns Linebacker Tank Carder Follows Awful Comedy Accounts On Twitter, Tells One “Your A Faggot” When He Misses The Joke". DeadSpin.com. Gawker Media. http://deadspin.com/5963057/browns-linebacker-tank-carder-follows-awful-comedy-accounts-on-twitter-tells-one-your-a-faggot-when-he-misses-the-joke. Retrieved 27 November 2012.
- Brathwaite, Lester. "Cleveland Browns Linebacker Tweets F-Bomb Doesn’t “Agree” With Being Gay". Queerty.com. Queerty, Inc.. http://www.queerty.com/tank-carder-tweets-faggot-doesnt-agree-with-being-gay-20121127/.
- Smith, Michael David. "Browns’ Tank Carder apologizes for using homophobic slur". nbcsports.com. NBC Sports. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/26/browns-tank-carder-apologizes-for-using-homophobic-slur/. Retrieved 27 November 2012.
- Reed, Tom (26 November 2012). "Cleveland Browns rookie apologizes for anti-gay remark on Twitter". Cleveland Plain Dealer. http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/11/cleveland_browns_rookie_apolog.html. Retrieved 27 November 2012.
[edit | edit source]