Brown with the Oakland Raiders in 2010
|No. 27, 28, 37|
|Date of birth:July 17, 1987|
|Place of birth: Dallas, Texas|
|NFL Draft: 2010 / Round: 7 / Pick: 251|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
|* Oakland Raiders ( 2010)|
|Career highlights and awards|
|* New York Giants single-season interception return yards record (307, 2012)|
|Stats at NFL.com|
Stevie Christopher Brown (born July 17, 1987) is a former American football safety. He was drafted by the Oakland Raiders in the seventh round of the 2010 NFL Draft. He played college football for the Michigan Wolverines, where he started at safety as a junior for the 2008 team and at linebacker for the 2009 team. He has also been a member of the Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts, New York Giants, and Kansas City Chiefs.
Early years[edit | edit source]
In high school, he was a three-year starter for head coach Bob Gaddis at Columbus East High School in Columbus, Indiana. He gained 1,700 all-purpose yards as a junior in 2004 and scored 17 touchdowns, while recording 30 solo tackles and three interceptions. Despite only playing three games due to injury as a senior, he was selected first-team all-state. He participated in the 2006 U.S. Army All-American Bowl. Also he was on the cover of Excel High School Sports Goal Post 2005 Football Yearbook. Also all-state by the Indiana Coaches Association and by Associated Press as a junior. Ranked as the number 7 safety and the second-best player in the state of Indiana according to rivals.com. Ranked as the number 10 cornerback in the nation by scout.com. Qualified for the state finals as a sophomore in the 200 meters and finished seventh in the state in the 100 meters a junior. As a sophomore, he had 10 interceptions.
|Name||Hometown||High school / college||Height||Weight||40‡||Commit date|
|Columbus, Indiana||Columbus (IN)||6 ft 0.5 in (1.84 m)||198.5 lb (90.0 kg)||4.395||Aug 1, 2005|
|Scout:75px Rivals:75px ESPN grade: NR|
|Overall recruiting rankings: Scout: 10 (CB) Rivals: 7 (S), 2 (IN) ESPN: NR|
College career[edit | edit source]
At Michigan, he was elected captain as a senior. Over the course of his career he had 31 special teams tackles, including 11 as a sophomore when he led the 2007 team. As a senior, he led the 2009 Wolverines in tackles with 80. He recorded nine tackles in four different conference games (against Indiana - September 26, Michigan State - October 3, Purdue - November 7, Wisconsin - November 14) during the 2009 Big Ten Conference football season. He was named the 2009 winner of The Roger Zatkoff Award as the team's best linebacker.
Professional career[edit | edit source]
Oakland Raiders[edit | edit source]
Brown was drafted in the seventh round of the 2010 NFL Draft by the Oakland Raiders with the 251st overall selection. His signing was announced on July 22. In his first game as a professional, he made an interception to end an exhibition game against the Dallas Cowboys. The Raiders released him on September 4 and signed him to their practice squad on September 5. A few weeks later Stevie Brown was signed to the 2010 Raiders and debuted on September 19, 2010 against the St. Louis Rams and recorded his first career tackle. After playing in his first year as a rookie he recorded 29 tackles including a game against the San Diego Chargers where he recorded 5 total tackles.
The Raiders released Brown on September 3, 2011, as part of their final cutdowns.
Carolina Panthers (2011)[edit | edit source]
Indianapolis Colts[edit | edit source]
New York Giants[edit | edit source]
The New York Giants had Stevie Brown on roster as of April 2, 2012. While replacing an injured Kenny Phillips for the early part of the 2012 NFL season, Brown led the entire NFL in takeaways at seven, with five interceptions and two fumble recoveries as of October 28, 2012 (through week 8). In the eighth week on October 28 against the Dallas Cowboys, Brown had two interceptions and a fumble recovery. The following day, he was named National Football Conference (NFC) Defensive Player of the Week. Against the New Orleans Saints and Drew Brees on December 9, Brown had 2 interceptions and a forced fumble and established a Giants franchise record for single-season interception return yards (259). On December 30 against the Philadelphia Eagles, Brown returned a Michael Vick forward pass 48 yards to ignite a 42–7 rout, earning him a second NFC Defensive Player of the Week recognition on January 2.
He finished the season with 307 return yards, which ranked as the fourth highest single-season total in NFL history. His 8 interceptions, which was second in the NFL, was the most by a Giant in a season since the 1968 Giants got 10 interceptions from Willie Williams and 8 from Spider Lockhart. In addition, this led the entire NFL, with near twice as many yards as second-place Ronde Barber of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Brown signed his $2.023 million one-year restricted free agent tender on March 19, 2013.
During a pre-season game on August 24, 2013 against the New York Jets, Brown tore the ACL in his left knee and missed the entire season. He re-signed with the Giants on a one-year contract on March 11, 2014.
Houston Texans[edit | edit source]
Return to New York Giants[edit | edit source]
Kansas City Chiefs[edit | edit source]
Second stint with the Panthers[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "3 Stevie Brown". CBS Interactive. Archived from the original on March 6, 2011. https://www.webcitation.org/5wzG8TvBi?url=http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/brown_stevie00.html. Retrieved April 24, 2010.
- "Steve Brown". Rivals.com. https://sports.yahoo.com/michigan/football/recruiting/player-Steve-Brown-37161. Retrieved April 24, 2010.
- "#5 Steve Brown". Scout.com. http://michigan.scout.com/a.z?s=162&p=8&c=1&nid=1857533. Retrieved April 24, 2010.
- Blockus, Gary R. (October 31, 2012). "Stevie Brown a Giant surprise: Third-year player leads the NFL with seven takeaways". The Morning Call. http://articles.mcall.com/2012-10-31/sports/mc-stevie-brown-a-giant-surprise-20121031_1_antrel-rolle-giants-safety-giants-coach-tom-coughlin. Retrieved January 3, 2013.
- "Stevie Brown #3 LB". ESPN.com. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=191437. Retrieved April 24, 2010.
- Birkett, Dave (April 24, 2010). "Zoltan Mesko, Stevie Brown drafted, Donovan Warren goes unpicked". AnnArbor.com. MLive.com. http://www.annarbor.com/sports/um-football/zoltan-mesko-stevie-brown-drafted-donovan-warren-goes-unpicked/. Retrieved April 25, 2010.
- "Raiders sign rookie S Stevie Brown". Mercury News. July 22, 2010. http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_15579771. Retrieved July 22, 2010.
- "Raiders 17 (1-0, 1-0 away); Cowboys 9 (1-1, 0-1 home)". ESPN. August 12, 2010. http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=300812006. Retrieved August 15, 2010.
- "Oakland Raiders Transactions - 2010". ESPN.com. http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/transactions/_/name/oak/year/2010/oakland-raiders. Retrieved September 7, 2010.
- "Stevie Brown - #27 - DB (game logs)". NFL.com. http://www.nfl.com/players/gamelogs?id=BRO695002. Retrieved November 10, 2010.
- "NFL transactions for September 3, 2011". Pro Football Weekly. September 4, 2011. Archived from the original on April 6, 2012. https://web.archive.org/web/20120406023703/http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/09/05/nfl-transactions-for-september-3-2011. Retrieved September 8, 2011.
- "NFL transactions for September 4, 2011". Pro Football Weekly. September 5, 2011. Archived from the original on September 9, 2011. https://web.archive.org/web/20110909173422/http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/09/05/nfl-transactions-for-september-4-2011. Retrieved September 8, 2011.
- "Colts sign former Columbus East, U of Michigan standout released after year with Raiders". WISH. September 20, 2011. Archived from the original on September 25, 2011. https://web.archive.org/web/20110925010257/http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/sports/colts_and_nfl/colts-sign-former-columbus-east-u-of-m-standout-released-after-year-with-raiders. Retrieved September 25, 2011.
- "Giants sign Stevie Brown SS". Daily News. April 2, 2012. http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2012/04/giants-add-s-stevie-brown. Retrieved April 2, 2012.
- Castillo, Jorge (November 1, 2012). "Giants, with Stevie Brown playing well and Kenny Phillips returning, likely to use three-safety look". NJ.com. http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/11/giants_with_stevie_brown_playi.html. Retrieved November 5, 2012.
- "Giants lose 23-point lead, then escape Cowboys". ESPN. October 28, 2012. http://espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=321028006. Retrieved November 5, 2012.
- Graziano, Dan (October 31, 2012). "Stevie Brown is Defensive Player of Week". ESPN. http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/45063/stevie-brown-is-defensive-player-of-week. Retrieved January 3, 2013.
- "David Wilson scores 3 TDs as Giants beat Saints, remain atop NFC East". ESPN. December 9, 2012. http://espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=321209019. Retrieved December 11, 2012.
- Raskin, Alex (December 10, 2012). "Giants Report Card: David Wilson, Stevie Brown come up big". CBS Sports. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/21348156/giants-report-card-david-eilson-stevie-brown-come-up-big-against-saints. Retrieved December 11, 2012.
- Youngmisuk, Ohm (January 2, 2013). "Brown is NFC Defensive Player of the Week". ESPN. http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/21528/brown-is-nfc-defensive-player-of-the-week. Retrieved January 10, 2013.
- "Giants crush Eagles, eliminated from playoffs with Bears' win". ESPN. December 30, 2012. http://espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=321230019. Retrieved January 10, 2013.
- "Stevie Brown: Career Statistics". Yahoo! Sports. https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/24227/career. Retrieved January 3, 2013.
- "NFL Single-Season Interception Return Yards Leaders". Pro-Football-Reference.com. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/def_int_yds_single_season.htm. Retrieved January 3, 2013.
- "Sortable Stats". Yahoo! Sports. https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/bycategory?cat=Defense&conference=NFL&year=season_2012&timeframe=All&sort=108&old_category=Defense. Retrieved January 3, 2013.
- "@ESPNStatsInfo status". Twitter. December 30, 2012. https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/285448629467103232. Retrieved January 2, 2013.
- "2012 NFL Leaders and Leaderboards". profootballreference. com. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2012/leaders.htm. Retrieved January 3, 2013.
- Youngmisuk, Ohm (March 19, 2013). "Stevie Brown stays with Giants". ESPN. http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/23699/stevie-brown-stays-with-giants. Retrieved March 22, 2013.
- "Giants' Stevie Brown has torn ACL". WABC TV. http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/sports/pro/football&id=9218515&rss=rss-wabc-article-9218515. Retrieved August 25, 2013.
- Orr, Conor (March 11, 2014). "Giants re-sign S Stevie Brown". NJ.com. http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/03/giants_re-sign_s_stevie_brown.html. Retrieved March 11, 2014.
- "Texans sign Stevie Brown". HoustonTexans.com. May 1, 2015. http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Texans-sign-Stevie-Brown/36f78d09-4891-4db7-ae86-ba6b5bcabfa4. Retrieved May 8, 2015.
- Graziano, Dan and Tania Ganguli (April 30, 2015). "Texans, Stevie Brown agree to 1-year deal". ESPN. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12791768/safety-stevie-brown-reaches-one-year-deal-houston-texans. Retrieved May 8, 2015.
- Dragon, Tyler (August 31, 2015). "Stevie Brown signs with New York Giants". NFL. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000517782/article/stevie-brown-signs-with-new-york-giants. Retrieved August 31, 2015.
- Sessler, Marc (September 7, 2015). "Giants release safety Stevie Brown". NFL.com. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000523577/article/giants-release-safety-stevie-brown. Retrieved September 7, 2015.
- Alper, Josh (April 3, 2016). "Chiefs sign Stevie Brown". NBC Sports. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/03/chiefs-sign-stevie-brown/. Retrieved April 7, 2016.
- Alper, Josh. "Chiefs release Mike Williams, Stevie Brown". http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/25/chiefs-release-mike-williams-stevie-brown/.
- "Panthers sign safety Stevie Brown". http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Panthers-sign-safety-Stevie-Brown/7ec7abb5-084d-4ba6-b063-f31543ac3ba1.
- Henson, Max. "Panthers trim roster to 53". https://web.archive.org/web/20180103173132/http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Panthers-trim-roster-to-53/e844056a-62ef-4bb1-b1a4-b040a7219771.
[edit | edit source]
- Michigan bio
- Brown (college) at ESPN.com
- Brown (NFL) at ESPN.com
- Brown at NCAA.org
- Brown archive at AnnArbor.com