|Date of birth:||August 30, 1964|
|Place of birth:||Washington, D.C.|
|Height:||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|NFL Draft:||1987 / Round: 3 / Pick: 81|
|Los Angeles Raiders|
|Playing stats at|
Steven Anthony Smith (born August 30, 1964) is a former professional American football running back, playing 9 seasons in the National Football League with the Oakland Raiders and Seattle Seahawks. He was a team captain on Penn State's 1986 National Championship team.
Smith was a third-round draft choice of the Raiders in the 1987 NFL Draft. Converted to fullback, Smith blocked for Raiders star running backs Bo Jackson and Marcus Allen. He then spent 2 seasons with Seattle until a back injury ended his career. Although primarily a blocker, he finished his career with 1627 rushing yards and 13 receiving touchdowns.
Smith married former Raiderette, Chie Aguilar-Hiroto from Cypress, CA in December 1989. The couple have two children, Dante (July 1990) and Jazmin (Sept 1991) and live in Richardson, Texas. Smith has been afflicted with Lou Gehrig's disease since July 2002. He cannot speak because of a ventilator and receives his food through a feeding tube. He communicates via a state of the art computer system donated by MDS, reported his wife. Former teammates, including former Nittany Lions D. J. Dozier and Shane Conlan, have rallied to raise money for Smith's medical bills.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Armas, Genaro C. (2006-12-29). "Former Raider fullback Smith battles illness". The Associated Press. http://www.napavalleyregister.com/articles/2006/12/29/sports/college_and_pro/doc45952bd9108ce651032684.txt. Retrieved 2008-11-02.
- ↑ Turse, Paul. "Oakland Raider Steve Smith: Commitment to Acceptance". raiderdrive.com. http://www.raiderdrive.com/commitment_to_acceptance1.htm. Retrieved 2008-11-02.
- ↑ O'Keeffe, Michael (2010-08-17). "Boston University study by Ann McKee finds link between concussions and Lou Gehrig's disease". NY Daily News. http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2010/08/17/2010-08-17_head_traumaals_link_found_report.html#ixzz0wsaZ3qIl.
- "Commitment to Acceptance", Paul Turse, raiderdrive.com
- Former Raider With ALS Wants To Help Others, The Dallas Morning News, July 19, 2003
- Former Raider fullback Smith battles illness, Genaro C. Armas, The Associated Press, December 29, 2006
- "Show of strength: Doctors told Steve Smith he was dying of ALS. He is now convinced that is not true", Frank Bodani, York Daily Record, July 11, 2004.
- "Former PSU fullback Steve Smith still has strength to fight", Frank Bodani, York Daily Record, July 15, 2010.
- “Former Oakland Raider, Steve Smith, and his fight against ALS”, ESPN Video.
- “Steve Smith, former Penn State and Raider Football Player, has ALS”, Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel, HBO, August 17, 2010.
|This biographical article relating to an American football running back born in the 1960s is a stub. You can help The American Football Database by expanding it.|