McClellin (far right) tackles Virginia Tech's Tyrod Taylor.
|No. 99 Chicago Bears|
|Date of birth:August 1, 1989|
|Place of birth: Caldwell, Idaho|
|High School: Marsing (ID)|
|College: Boise State|
|NFL Draft: 2012 / Round: 1 / Pick: 19|
|Debuted in 2012 for the Chicago Bears|
|* Chicago Bears ( 2012–present)|
|Roster status: Active|
|Career highlights and awards|
|* 2A Western Idaho Conference Offensive/Defensive Player of the Year (2006)|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2012|
Shea Keegan McClellin (born August 1, 1989) is an American football defensive end for the Chicago Bears of the National Football League. He played college football at Boise State. He was drafted in the first round (19th overall) of the 2012 NFL Draft by the Chicago Bears.
McClellin was born on August 1, 1989, in Caldwell, Idaho, and lived in Marsing. McClellin was adopted by his maternal grandparents, Terry McClellin and Jerry McClellin, when he was 18 months old. He grew up on a farm in Marsing, where he helped his parents raise various farm animals and animals in distress.
McClellin went to Marsing High School, where he was a letterman in football, basketball, and baseball. As a linebacker, he finished with 126 tackles, six interceptions and seven defensive touchdowns. McClellin also played running back, running for 1,893 yards and 22 touchdowns. In his junior year, he was named to the second-team all-conference team after rushing for 998 yards and leading his team in touchdowns with 17. In his senior year, he was named Western Idaho Conference Offensive Player of Year and Defensive Player of Year, as well as first-team all-state. In basketball he averaged 16.7 points and 11.6 rebounds per game, and in baseball he had a .453 batting average, with 21 RBI and 10 stolen bases as a junior.
|Name||Hometown||High school / college||Height||Weight||40‡||Commit date|
| Shea McClellin|
|Marsing, Idaho||Marsing High School||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)||228 lb (103 kg)||4.81||Dec 17, 2006|
|Overall recruiting rankings: Scout: 57 Rivals: 68|
After he was drafted, a dispute arose about his concussion history during his time with the Broncos, triggered by an NFL Network report claiming that he had three concussions during his college career and McClellin claiming that he only had one. When asked about this, McClellin stated that he had concussion-like symptoms, rather than a concussion.
In his second freshman year, after redshirting his first, McClellin played in 10 games before injuring his leg against Idaho. During his first year, he recorded 14 tackles and 3 forced fumbles. McClellin recorded a sack and forced a fumble against Hawaii, as well as blocking a field goal attempt against Oregon. The Broncos would finish undefeated, but would lose to TCU in the 2008 Poinsettia Bowl.
He played in all 13 games for the Broncos, including starts in the final 11. McClellin recorded 36 tackles, six tackles-for-loss and three sacks, as well as recording an interception and two pass break-ups. McClellin recorded at least one tackle in 12 games. His lone interception of the season came against Utah State. Like the year before, the Broncos went undefeated, and ultimately avenged their loss to TCU the year before, this time in the 2009 Fiesta Bowl.
In McClellin's junior year, he recorded 30 tackles on the season, including 13.5 tackles-for-loss - tied for the most on the team - and a team-high 9.5 sacks. He tied his career high with six tackles against Virginia Tech in the team's season opener. McClellin also forced one fumble and recovered two, one of which was returned for a touchdown against Wyoming, and returned an interception 36 yards for a touchdown against the Toledo Rockets, becoming the first Bronco defensive player to score on a fumble recovery and an interception in the same season since 1999. Boise State would ultimately go to the 2010 Maaco Bowl Las Vegas, and triumph over the Utah Utes.
In his final season, McClellin registered 50 tackles, 7 sacks and 12.5 tackles-for-loss. He intercepted two passes, one each against Colorado State and San Diego State, as well as having blocked a kick against the Rams. He recorded a career-high eight tackles against UNLV, as well as a career-high 2.5 sacks against Georgia in the season-opener. In his final game of his college career, McClellin recorded 3 tackles for losses in the victory against the Arizona State Sun Devils in the 2011 Maaco Bowl Las Vegas. He completed the season tied for 15th among active players in career sacks (20.5). McClellin eventually participated in the 2012 Senior Bowl.
2012 NFL DraftEdit
|16px McClellin's NFL Combine Workout|
|16px McClellin Gets Drafted by Chicago|
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 3 in||260 lb||4.63 s||4.33 s||7.07 s||31.5 in||10 ft 9 in||19 reps|
Before the draft, McClellin was projected as a mid-round pick, but after the Combine, McClellin emerged as a first-round draft pick, with mock drafts having him going to a team that runs the 3-4 defense like the Green Bay Packers or the New England Patriots, praising his work ethic and size, but questioned his strength. Chicago Bears general manager Phil Emery stated that he intended on drafting McClellin as an outside linebacker during his time with the Kansas City Chiefs. McClellin later worked out for 11 teams, including the Patriots, Chiefs, Buffalo Bills, Tennessee Titans, Indianapolis Colts and the Cleveland Browns. Analysts believed that he could go to the Bears, Packers, San Diego Chargers, Baltimore Ravens, Houston Texans, Pittsburgh Steelers or the New York Jets.
Ultimately, he ended up going to the Bears with the 19th pick in the draft. According to the Bears website, NFL analyst Michael Lombardi was the lone analyst to project McClellin going to the Bears. McClellin is the second highest draft pick in Boise State history, behind only Ryan Clady (No. 12 in 2008 by Denver).
"He's one of the two fastest risers I've had in the last month. I didn't think a 4-3 team would take him. He's got so much versatility, but I love the football player. ... He can put his hand in the dirt, and across from Julius Peppers, he will get a lot of one-on-one opportunities."
After getting drafted by Chicago, Emery stated that McClellin will play opposite Julius Peppers at left defensive end, with Chicago Sun-Times writer Sean Jensen saying that McClellin could replace middle-linebacker Brian Urlacher in the event that he leaves the team or retires.
McClellin was signed to a four-year contract on May 11.
McClellin made his NFL debut in week one of the preseason against the Denver Broncos, recording three tackles, one sack (on former Bear Caleb Hanie), one tackle-for-loss, and two quarterback hits. McClellin was penalized for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Hanie, setting up a Broncos field goal, even though the kick missed, the Bears would lose 31-3. McClellin recorded his first official sack on Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, as McClellin recorded 1.5 sacks and four tackles. In the opening minutes of Week 10 against the Houston Texans, McClellin went out with a concussion. McClellin was later injured again when he sprained his MCL against the Minnesota Vikings in Week 14.
In 2012, McClellin became a partner with Allstate and Give Your Sole, and attended the Chicago 13.1 Marathon on June 9 to encourage runners to donate athletic shoes. On June 8, McClellin and the rest of the 2012 Bears draft class planted trees and shrubs at LaFollette Park as part of the team's Save Da Planet program.
- ↑ "Change does BSU's McClellin good - Idaho Press-Tribune: Boise State Football". Idaho Press. http://www.idahopress.com/sports/boise/bsf-football/change-does-bsu-s-mcclellin-good/article_fecc3f7a-4985-11e1-810b-001871e3ce6c.html. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- ↑ Similar. "2012 Scouting Report: Shea McClellin, DE/OLB, Boise State - NFL Mocks - 2013 NFL Mock Draft, Fantasy Football, NFL News, and NFL Mock Draft Databases". NFL Mocks. http://nflmocks.com/2011/12/08/2012-scouting-report-shea-mcclellin-deolb-boise-state/. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- ↑ "The 2011 Official Rotary Lombardi Award Watch List Released". Rotary Lombardi Award. 2011-07-12. http://www.rotarylombardiaward.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=103&Itemid=23. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- ↑ Lourie, Steven. "Chicago Bears 2012 Draft Grades". http://www.footballfanspot.com/bearsdraft2012.htm. Retrieved 5/2/12.
- ↑ BRIAN MURPHY, The Idaho Statesman (2011-11-19). "Boise State star player still rooted in hometown". Mysanantonio.com. http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/article/Boise-State-star-player-still-rooted-in-hometown-2276496.php. Retrieved 2012-05-03.
- ↑ "Shea McClellin Bio - Broncosports.com - The Official Athletics Website Of Boise State University". Broncosports.com. http://www.broncosports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=9900&ATCLID=787627. Retrieved 2012-05-03.
- ↑ "Bears rookie Shea McClellin disputes concussion reports". NFL.com. 2012-04-28. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828b3a03/article/bears-rookie-shea-mcclellin-disputes-concussion-reports?module=HP11_headline_stack. Retrieved 2012-05-03.
- ↑ "The Official Website - 2008". PoinsettiaBowl.com. http://www.poinsettiabowl.com/bowl-history/2008.html. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- ↑ "Boise State pulls out 17-10 Fiesta Bowl win". Fox News. 2012-03-12. http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2010Jan05/0,4670,FBCT25FiestaBowl,00.html.
- ↑ Miller, Ted (2012-03-08). "Instant analysis: Boise State 56, ASU 24 - College Football Nation Blog - ESPN". Espn.go.com. http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/56311/instant-analysis-boise-state-56-asu-24. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- ↑ Rang, Rob (2012-03-23). "QB Kellen Moore among impressive trio at Boise State Pro Day". CBSSports. http://www.cbssports.com/general/blog/rob-rang/17994533/qb-kellen-moore-among-impressive-trio-at-boise-state-pro-day. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- ↑ Tust, Jay (2012-03-22). "Pro Day: Shea McClellin | KTVB.COM Boise". Ktvb.com. http://www.ktvb.com/sports/Pro-Day-Shea-McClellin-143825656.html. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- ↑ "Shea McClellin, OLB, Boise State, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com". CBSSports.com. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1274370/shea-mcclellin. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- ↑ Winkler, Nels (2012-04-21). "Green Bay Packers 2012 NFL Draft Prospects: OLB/DE Shea McClellin". Acme Packing Company. http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2012/4/21/2964513/green-bay-packers-2012-nfl-draft-shea-mcclellin. Retrieved 2012-05-03.
- ↑ by infinitystealth (2012-04-16). "2012 MCM Mock Draft: At #48, The New England Patriots Select". Music City Miracles. http://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2012/4/16/2952033/2012-mcm-mock-draft-at-48-the-new-england-patriots-select. Retrieved 2012-05-03.
- ↑ "Draft Prospect - Shea McClellin". ProFootballWeekly.com. http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/shea-mcclellin-92/. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- ↑ "Bears NFL draft: Chicago Bears take Shea McClellin No. 19 overall in NFL draft - Chicago Tribune". Articles.chicagotribune.com. 2012-04-27. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-04-27/sports/ct-spt-0427-bears-nfl-draft-chicago--20120427_1_nfl-draft-chicago-bears-private-workout. Retrieved 2012-05-03.
- ↑ "Scout.com: Shea McClellin Profile". Newmexico.scout.com. http://newmexico.scout.com/a.z?s=203&p=9&c=2&cid=1178816&nid=5817785&fhn=1. Retrieved 2012-05-03.
- ↑ Bears select Shea McClellin in first round of NFL Draft | abc7chicago.com[dead link]
- ↑ "2012 NFL Mock Drafts : Pats to deal No. 31 to QB-needy team?". Nfl.com. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/mock-drafts/michael-lombardi/130112. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- ↑ Mayer, Larry (2012-04-25). "Analysts don't agree on Bears' first pick". Chicago Bears. http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1/Analysts-disagree-on-Bears-pick/64EBC8FE-2618-4925-A05D-C5D0150A0AAF. Retrieved 2012-10-12.
- ↑ "Bears plan to play Shea McClellin at defensive end | ProFootballTalk". Profootballtalk.nbcsports.com. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/27/bears-plan-to-play-shea-mcclellin-at-defensive-end/. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- ↑ "Bears pick Boise State DE Shea McClellin in NFL draft - Chicago Sun-Times". Chicago Sun-Times. http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/12157638-606/bears-pick-boise-state-de-shea-mcclellin-in-nfl-draft.html.
- ↑ "Chicago Bears agree to deal with first-round pick McClellin". NFL.com. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8290627f/article/chicago-bears-agree-to-deal-with-firstround-pick-mcclellin?module=HP11_headline_stack. Retrieved 2012-05-11.
- ↑ Mayer, Larry (2012-08-10). "McClellin produces impact plays in first game". Chicago Bears. http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1/McClellin-produces-impact-plays-in-first-game/d651c4cd-d740-41d5-ab9b-bee4d22450f9. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- ↑ Idaho_Statesman. "McCllellin plays strong in Chicago's loss to Green Bay | Boise State Football". Idaho Statesman. http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/09/14/2271469/mccllellin-plays-strong-in-chicagos.html. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- ↑ "Bears' McClellin leaves game with concussion". Yahoo! Sports. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bears-mcclellin-leaves-game-concussion-024456189--nfl.html. Retrieved 2011-11-11.
- ↑ "Shea McClellin has a sprained MCL". NBC Sports. 2012-12-09. http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/50140569. Retrieved 2012-12-22.
- ↑ Mayer, Larry (2012-06-08). "Bears rookies support Save Da Planet initiative". Chicago Bears. http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1/Bears-rookies-support-Save-Da-Planet-initiative/019295CE-1E48-4621-9910-4B20383F1C18. Retrieved 2012-10-13.