Slocum in 2012
|Associate head coach/special teams coordinator/outside linebackers coach|
|Date of birth:February 21, 1965|
|Place of birth: Monticello, Arkansas|
|College: Texas A&M|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
| As coach:|
*Texas A&M (asst.) (1989)
|Career highlights and awards|
|*Super Bowl champion (XLV)|
Richard Shawn Slocum (born February 21, 1965) is an American football coach who was the special teams coach for the Green Bay Packers of the National Football League and is currently the Associate Head Coach/Special Teams Coordinator/Outside Linebackers Coach at Arizona State University.
Early life and college careerEdit
Born in Monticello, Arkansas, Slocum graduated from Bryan High School in Bryan, Texas in 1983 and attended Texas A&M University, where he played football as a linebacker and was a member of the 12th Man Kickoff Team under coach Jackie Sherrill. Slocum earned one letter with the team in 1984. He graduated with a B.S. in construction management in 1987 from the Texas A&M College of Architecture.
Slocum started his coaching career as a volunteer assistant at Texas A&M, under his father R. C. Slocum. In 1990, Shawn served as a graduate assistant at the University of Pittsburgh, coaching the defense. He returned to coaching at Texas A&M, coaching tight ends, linebackers, and special teams from 1991 to 1997. From 1991 to 1993, Slocum helped the Aggies win three straight Southwest Conference championships. During the years 1994-97, he coached two all-Americans, Shane Lechler and Lombardi Award winner Dat Nguyen, who both went on to play for the NFL. During his seven-season coaching tenure at A&M, he assisted the Aggies to five bowl games, including four Cotton Bowl Classic appearances. The Aggie team record was 94-28-2 from 1991–1997. The 94 wins were the sixth in the country and also the greatest wins by any Texas Division I school in any decade. From 1998 to 1999, Slocum coached at the University of Southern California, where he coached Butkus Award winner Chris Claiborne, Zeke Moreno, and Markus Steele. He returned to A&M again and coached the Secondary and special teams from 2000-02. In 2005, he became assistant head coach and linebacker coach at Ole Miss, where he coached star linebacker Patrick Willis.
On February 6, 2006, Slocum joined the Packers, becoming the assistant special teams coach. He got promoted to special teams coordinator on January 14, 2009.
The Dallas Morning News ranked the Packers special teams units 29th in 2010 and 31st in 2011.
The Packers' special teams units were ranked 12th in 2012 and 20th in 2013 by the Dallas Morning News.
On January 30, 2015, the Packers fired Slocum.
On January 9, 2018, Slocum was retained as Sun Devils special teams coordinator and associate head coach.
His father R. C. Slocum was head coach for Texas A&M from 1989 to 2002 and is the winningest coach in Texas A&M football history. R. C. Slocum was a tight end at McNeese State when Shawn was born. Shawn Slocum has been an assistant coach at Texas A&M under R. C. Slocum.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 "Shawn Slocum Bio". Arizona State University. Archived from the original on 8 April 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20160408053202/http://www.thesundevils.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30300&ATCLID=209933460. Retrieved 18 February 2016.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "Shawn Slocum". Texas A&M University. Archived from the original on June 19, 2002. https://web.archive.org/web/20020619030540/http://sports.tamu.edu/sports/football/Coach/slocum-s.html.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 "Shawn Slocum". Green Bay Packers. http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/shawn-slocum/f38fc94b-afe7-431f-910c-d9903f9c2ac1. Retrieved January 18, 2015.
- ↑ "Slocum will take over Packers' special teams". http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090114/PKR01/90114072/1058.
- ↑ http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-slocum-a-trusty-assistant-9989fj6-185965511.html
- ↑ http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2011623-special-teams-have-to-get-better-for-the-packers-in-2014
- ↑ "Shawn Slocum releasedl". http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-press-release/article-1/Shawn-Slocum-released/faedb5dd-4ac1-4ec8-b1d7-3bfcbf438295.
- ↑ "Coach Graham Hires Shawn Slocum To Be Associate Head Coach/Special Teams Coordinator/OLBs". Arizona State Sun Devils. March 2, 2015. Archived from the original on June 29, 2015. https://web.archive.org/web/20150629233256/http://www.thesundevils.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30300&ATCLID=209919504. Retrieved April 25, 2015.
- ↑ https://thesundevils.com/news/2018/1/9/sun-devil-football-to-retain-shawn-slocum-as-assoc-head-coach-special-teams-coord.aspx
- ↑ "Shawn Slocum". Ole Miss Sports. Archived from the original on January 9, 2006. https://web.archive.org/web/20060109235004/http://olemisssports.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/slocum_shawn00.html.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shawn Slocum.|
|Green Bay Packers Special Teams Coordinators|
2009-January 30th, 2015
| Succeeded by|