|Date of birth:October 5, 1985|
|Place of birth: Gonzales, Louisiana|
|Height: 6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)||Weight: 250 lb (113 kg)|
|College: Southern Mississippi|
|NFL Draft: 2009 / Round: 4 / Pick: 121|
|Debuted in 2009 for the Buffalo Bills|
|* Buffalo Bills ( 2009– 2010)|
|Career highlights and awards|
Shawn Nelson (born October 5, 1985) is an American football tight end who is currently a free agent. Nelson was selected by the Buffalo Bills in the fourth round of the 2009 NFL Draft. He played college football at Southern Mississippi.
Nelson has also been a member of the New York Jets.
Awards and honorsEdit
- MVP of New Orleans Bowl (2005)
- 2x First-team All-Conference USA (2006–2007)
- Honorable mention All-Conference USA (2008)
Nelson impressed many scouts with his solid college career and impressive scouting combine numbers. At the NFL Combine, he ran a 4.56 forty-yard dash, bench pressed nineteen reps and posted a vertical jump of thirty three inches. Going into the 2009 NFL Draft, Nelson was regarded as one of the top tight end prospects. He was drafted in the fourth round with the 21st pick (121st overall) by the Buffalo Bills.
In his debut game against the New England Patriots on Monday Night Football, Shawn Nelson caught an 11 yard touchdown pass from quarterback Trent Edwards. The Bills went on to lose the game 24-25. Nelson was suspended without pay for the team’s first four games of the 2010 regular season for violating the NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse. Nelson’s suspension began on Saturday, Sept. 4 2010. He was eligible to return to the Bills’ active roster on October 4, 2010. Nelson was released by the Bills on September 3, 2011.
New York JetsEdit
- ↑ http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=162573 |Shawn Nelson Stats
- ↑ http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/shawn-nelson?id=71413 |Shawn Nelson Draft Profile
- ↑ http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/TE-Nelson-suspended-for-first-four-games/b4507a26-f7ac-4bf9-9cf7-c47b2f079781 |Shawn Nelson Suspension
- ↑ Lange, Randy (October 31, 2011). "Jets Return from Bye, Announce Transactions". New York Jets. Archived from the original on November 2, 2011. http://www.webcitation.org/62tiqqKde. Retrieved November 2, 2011.
- ↑ Associated Press (November 22, 2011). "Jets waive backup TE Shawn Nelson because of ‘non-football illness’". The Washington Post. Archived from the original on November 27, 2011. http://www.webcitation.org/63WOtkZcK. Retrieved November 27, 2011.