|Born:||October 28, 1951|
Mexico City, Mexico
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||195 lb (88 kg)|
|High school:||Mexico City|
|College:||U.S. International (CA)|
|NFL Draft:||1974 / Round: 8 / Pick: 189|
|Career NFL statistics|
Sergio Albert (born October 28, 1951) is a former American football placekicker who played one season with the St. Louis Cardinals of the National Football League. He played college football at U.S. International University.
Albert attended high school in Mexico City, Mexico. He first enrolled at Universidad Anáhuac México Norte for 2 years, before accepting a soccer scholarship from the U.S. International University in 1972.
In the fall of 1972, he would walk on to the football team after a tryout as a soccer-style placekicker. Because he was primarily a soccer player, he appeared in only 3 football games that season. In 1973, he appeared in 10 games but had few kicking opportunities, although he made a 54-yard field goal.
Albert was selected by the St. Louis Cardinals in the eighth round (189th overall) of the 1974 NFL Draft. He is distinguished as being the third Mexican born player to be drafted into the National Football League (Tom Fears and Efren Herrera were the first ones). The Dallas Cowboys tried to sign him as an undrafted free agent in 1973, but the league did not allow the transaction.
He became a part of the team, after the Cardinals made the unusual move of keeping 2 kickers on the roster, while also choosing him over fellow rookie and ex-soccer player Pat Leahy. He was a kickoff specialist and a backup to Jim Bakken, until being waived on August 13, 1975.
On April 22, 1976, he was signed by the San Diego Chargers. During preseason, he participated in the first ever NFL game to be played outside of the United States and that was held in Japan. He was waived on September 6.
- "SERGIO ALBERT". profootballarchives.com. http://www.profootballarchives.com/albe00550.html. Retrieved May 16, 2015.
- "Ex-soccer player Albert eyes football career". https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/73188418/. Retrieved January 3, 2016.
- "Coryell Glows Over Cain-Smith Pairing". https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/139400145/. Retrieved January 3, 2016.
- "Pro Football Transactions". https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1346&dat=19750814&id=W1VNAAAAIBAJ&sjid=BvsDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3212,3615209&hl=en. Retrieved January 3, 2016.
- "Skins Tire of Thomas; Deal Seen". https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1338&dat=19750814&id=m1VOAAAAIBAJ&sjid=0PgDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5488,3629279&hl=en. Retrieved January 3, 2016.
- "Pro Football Transactions". https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1350&dat=19750819&id=9MdOAAAAIBAJ&sjid=NwIEAAAAIBAJ&pg=3635,2969599&hl=en. Retrieved January 3, 2016.
- "49ers Outplayed, But Not Outscored". https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1873&dat=19760823&id=5XE0AAAAIBAJ&sjid=b8oEAAAAIBAJ&pg=1155,2419048&hl=en. Retrieved January 3, 2016.
- "Japanese Crowd Makes First Professional Tackle". https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2512&dat=19760817&id=w5JHAAAAIBAJ&sjid=gP8MAAAAIBAJ&pg=2528,1856754&hl=en. Retrieved January 3, 2016.
- "Bucs sign placekicker, put Simmons on waivers". https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=888&dat=19770408&id=OFwqAAAAIBAJ&sjid=jF0DAAAAIBAJ&pg=6777,7119916&hl=en. Retrieved January 3, 2016.
- "Tampa Releases Two Gridders". https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1338&dat=19770609&id=7lVOAAAAIBAJ&sjid=-fgDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3072,2524324&hl=en. Retrieved January 3, 2016.
- "Sports Transactions". https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1916&dat=19770810&id=61cpAAAAIBAJ&sjid=KG4FAAAAIBAJ&pg=2330,1722040&hl=en. Retrieved January 3, 2016.