|No. 88, 89|
|Date of birth:October 5, 1977|
|Place of birth: Riverside, California|
|High School: Riverside (CA) Polytechnic|
|College: San Jose State|
|NFL Draft: 2001 / Round: 3 / Pick: 66|
|Debuted in 2002 for the Cincinnati Bengals|
|Last played in 2003 for the Atlanta Falcons|
|*Cincinnati Bengals (2001–2003)
*Offseason and/or practice squad member only
|Career highlights and awards|
Sean E. Brewer (born October 5, 1977) is a former professional American football tight end. He was drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals in the third round of the 2001 NFL Draft. He played college football for the San Jose State Spartans.
Early life and college career[edit | edit source]
Born in Riverside, California, Brewer graduated from Riverside Polytechnic High School. He first attended Riverside Junior College in 1997 and played one year of football there. In 1998, Brewer transferred to San Jose State University and majored in business management. From 1998 to 2000, Brewer played on the San Jose State Spartans football team.
Professional career[edit | edit source]
Cincinnati Bengals[edit | edit source]
Brewer was drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals in the third round (66th overall) in the 2001 NFL Draft. However shortly after being drafted by the Bengals, it was discovered that Brewer had a three-pack-a-day cigarette addiction. As a rookie in 2001, Brewer did not see any game action due to a pulled groin. Brewer sat out of the May 2002 mini-camp and voluntary workouts due to a slightly torn hamstring. He returned to practice on May 21, 2002.
The Bengals promoted Brewer to be the number-one tight end after waiving Tony McGee. Brewer was competing with Reggie Kelly, Matt Schobel, and Tony Stewart for the starting tight end position. Despite suffering from a bruised kneecap, Brewer played in the first three games of the 2002 season. In Week 3 on September 22, Brewer sprained his left knee. Projected to be out for 3 to 4 weeks, Brewer had knee surgery on October 28, 2002 and was placed on injured reserve one week later. After battling with Schobel for the starting job once again in 2003, he was waived on August 31, 2003.
Atlanta Falcons[edit | edit source]
One day after being waived by the Bengals, Brewer was claimed by the Atlanta Falcons. During the 2003 season he made nine appearances, mostly on special teams and goal line plays. On March 2, 2004, Brewer re-signed with the Falcons. He was waived on June 30, 2004.
Washington Redskins[edit | edit source]
San Diego Chargers[edit | edit source]
Following his release from the Redskins, Brewer was invited to try out with the San Diego Chargers on May 4, 2005. The Chargers signed Brewer on May 13. Brewer missed some practices due to knee injury and was released on August 30, 2005.
References[edit | edit source]
- "NFL.com bio". National Football League. http://www.nfl.com/players/seanbrewer/profile?id=BRE737673. Retrieved May 21, 2009.
- "Sean Brewer". Atlanta Falcons. Archived from the original on June 13, 2004. http://web.archive.org/web/20040613135315/http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/001/631/.
- Groeschen, Tom (April 22, 2001). "Who, me? Didn't expect to be picked so early". Cincinnati Enquirer. http://bengals.enquirer.com/2001/04/23/ben_brewer_surprised_by.html. Retrieved July 24, 2013.
- Goheen, Kevin (August 28, 2002). "Injury list continues to grow". Cincinnati Post. Archived from the original on February 1, 2003. http://web.archive.org/web/20030201220838/http://www.cincypost.com/bengals/2002/bengnt082802.html.
- Curnutte, Mark (May 22, 2002). "TE Brewer finally back in action". Cincinnati Enquirer. Archived from the original on November 6, 2002. http://web.archive.org/web/20021106061756/http://bengals.enquirer.com/2002/05/22/ben_te_brewer_finally.html.
- Curnutte, Mark (August 3, 2002). "Brewer tries to catch on". Cincinnati Enquirer. Archived from the original on November 6, 2002. http://web.archive.org/web/20021106072256/http://bengals.enquirer.com/2002/08/03/ben_brewer_tries_to.html.
- Hobson, Geoff (August 1, 2003). "No controversy, just TDs". Cincinnati Bengals. Archived from the original on May 25, 2004. http://web.archive.org/web/20040525214626/http://www.bengals.com/press/news.asp?iCurPage=0&news_id=1861.
- Curnutte, Mark (September 23, 2002). "Bengals Notebook: Forget playoffs at 0-3". Cincinnati Enquirer. Archived from the original on November 6, 2002. http://web.archive.org/web/20021106034037/http://bengals.enquirer.com/2002/09/23/ben_bengals_notebook.html.
- Curnutte, Mark (September 24, 2002). "Bengals Notebook: Brewer out 3-4 weeks". Cincinnati Enquirer. Archived from the original on November 4, 2002. http://web.archive.org/web/20021104220430/http://bengals.enquirer.com/2002/09/24/ben_bengals_notebook.html.
- Associated Press (October 29, 2002). "Sean Brewer has more knee surgery". Cincinnati Enquirer. http://bengals.enquirer.com/2002/10/29/wwwbenbrew29.html. Retrieved May 21, 2009.
- "Knee injury shelves Brewer". Cincinnati Post. November 6, 2002. Archived from the original on February 12, 2003. http://web.archive.org/web/20030212050927/http://www.cincypost.com/bengals/2002/beng11-06-2002.html.
- Associated Press (August 31, 2003). "Bengals get rid of Wilson, Dorsch". CNNSI.com. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/football/nfl/08/31/bc.fbn.bengalsmoves.ap/. Retrieved May 21, 2009.
- "Redskins Sign TE Sean Brewer". Washington Redskins. July 21, 2004. Archived from the original on August 12, 2004. http://web.archive.org/web/20040812221838/http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=2264.
- "Falcons tender several offers, resign two and sign linebacker". Atlanta Falcons. March 2, 2004. Archived from the original on June 3, 2004. http://web.archive.org/web/20040603022039/http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/006/858/.
- "Falcons waive two, sign two". Atlanta Falcons. June 30, 2004. Archived from the original on July 16, 2004. http://web.archive.org/web/20040716044554/http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/009/134/.
- La Confora, Jason (July 22, 2004). "Redskins, Taylor Are Ready to Talk". The Washington Post. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A4026-2004Jul21.html. Retrieved May 21, 2009.
- La Canfora, Jason (August 2, 2004). "Taylor Returns, Gets Into Drills After Recovering From an Injury". Washington Post. pp. D8. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A31942-2004Aug1.html. Retrieved July 25, 2013.
- Acee, Kevin (May 9, 2005). "Diverse group invited to Chargers orientation". San Diego Union-Tribune. http://www.utsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20050509-9999-1s9chargers.html. Retrieved July 25, 2013.
- "Chargers sign four free agents". San Diego Chargers. May 13, 2005. Archived from the original on May 24, 2005. http://web.archive.org/web/20050524171605/http://www.chargers.com/news/pr_headline_detail.cfm?press_release_key=494.
- Posner, Jay (August 2, 2005). "CHARGERS REPORT Merriman's arrival just what the trainer ordered". San Diego Union-Tribune. Archived from the original on August 4, 2005. http://web.archive.org/web/20050804000904/http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20050802/news_1s2chnotes.html.
- Pearce, Casey (August 30, 2005). "Chargers make three more moves". San Diego Chargers. Archived from the original on November 26, 2005. http://web.archive.org/web/20051126002337/http://www.chargers.com/news/headline_detail.cfm?news_key=2281.