|Samuel B. Newton|
| File:Silvanus B Newton.jpg |
Newton pictured in La Vie 1900, Penn State yearbook
|Born||December 4, 1868|
|Died||April 30, 1932 (aged 63)|
Chevy Chase, Maryland
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|Head coaching record|
|Overall||76–50–2 (excluding Williams)|
College Football Data Warehouse
Sylvanus Blanchard "Samuel" Newton[N 1] (December 4, 1868[N 2] – April 30, 1932) was an American football player and coach. He served as the head football coach at Pennsylvania State University (1896–1898), Lafayette College (1899–1901, 1911), Lehigh University (1902–1905), and Williams College (1907–1909).
Newton was the head football coach at Pennsylvania State University from 1896 to 1898. His career record at Penn State was 12–14.
Newton coached at Lafayette College for four seasons and achieved a record of 47 wins, 33 losses, and 14 ties. His first season was arguably his best, as his team outscored its opponents by 253 to 23 and achieved a record of 12 wins and 1 loss. The teams only loss was to Princeton by a score of 12–0.
Newton was the tenth head football coach for the Lehigh Mountain Hawks and he held that position for four seasons, from 1902 until 1905. His overall coaching record at Lehigh was 23 wins, 20 losses, and 2 ties. This ranks him ninth at Lehigh in terms of total wins and 12th at Lehigh in terms of winning percentage. While coaching at Lafayette, Newton's teams won The Rivalry game against Lehigh all seven times in three seasons. Newton later moved to Lehigh to coach on the opposite side of The Rivalry, winning two of four games played.
Head coaching recordEdit
|Penn State Nittany Lions (1896–1898)|
|Lafayette Leopards (1898–1901)|
|Lehigh Brown and White (1902–1905)|
|Lafayette Leopards (1911)|
- ↑ Lafayette Coaching Records
- ↑ Coaching Records Game by Game
- ↑ Lehigh Coaching Records
- ↑ "DR. SYLVANUS B. NEWTON.; One-Time U. of P. Football Player and World War Veteran Dead.". The New York Times. May 2, 1932. http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive/pdf?res=F70F16F73F5A13738DDDAB0894DD405B828FF1D3. Retrieved April 30, 2011.
- ↑ "Silvanus Blanchard Newton". Jones Family Genealogy. http://www.jonesgenealogy.net/getperson.php?personID=I1859&tree=Jones. Retrieved April 30, 2011.
<ref>tags exist for a group named "N", but no corresponding
<references group="N"/>tag was found.