|Date of birth:July 11, 1985|
|Place of birth: Sherbrooke, Quebec|
|CFL Draft: 2008 / Round: 1 / Pick: 8|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
|* Indianapolis Colts ( 2008– 2010)|
|Roster status: Active|
|CFL status: National|
|Career highlights and awards|
|* 2× QSSF All-Star (2006–2007)|
|Stats at NFL.com|
|Stats at pro-football-reference.com|
|Stats at CFL.ca|
Samuel Giguère (born July 11, 1985) is a Canadian football wide receiver who is retired of the Canadian Football League (CFL). He was drafted by the Hamilton Tiger-Cats eighth overall in the 2008 CFL Draft and signed by the Indianapolis Colts of the National Football League as an undrafted free agent in 2008. He played CIS football at Sherbrooke. He has also been a member of the New York Giants (NFL) and Montreal Alouettes (CFL), and participated for the Canadian National Bobsleigh team as a brakeman.
College career[edit | edit source]
He played for the Université de Sherbrooke Vert-et-Or In 2005, he caught 30 passes for 984 yards and 4 touchdowns. He was also a member of the Junior Canadian Team and was one of the fastest players in the AAA Collegial Ligue. In 2006, he was fourth leading wide receiver with 19 receptions for 464 yards. He tied the record for most touchdown receptions (3) in a game against Acadia University. Giguère was also named offensive player of the week in the QUFL, the Quebec University Football League. That year, Giguère was named to the QUFL all-star team. He was also runner-up for the Université de Sherbrooke rookie of the year award in 2005–2006. In 2007, Samuel Giguère caught 45 passes for 871 yards, 7 touchdowns, was a first-team all-conference selection and a first-team All Canadian. He finished the year ranked second in yards and third in yards per game (108.9), and had all career KOR totals as a Senior
Professional career[edit | edit source]
Hamilton Tiger-Cats[edit | edit source]
Indianapolis Colts[edit | edit source]
After spending the entire 2008 season on the practice squad, Giguère was re-signed to a future contract on January 5, 2009. He was once again waived during final cuts on September 5, only to be re-signed to the practice squad two days later. Giguère was promoted to the Colts' active roster on December 30, 2009 after the team waived quarterback Drew Willy.
He spent the 2010 off-season with the Colts and was waived on September 4, 2010 as part of the team's final cuts.
New York Giants[edit | edit source]
Giguère was signed to the New York Giants' practice squad on October 19. After he injured his groin in training camp in 2011 and being waived/injured, he was released with an injury settlement on August 23, 2011.
Hamilton Tiger-Cats[edit | edit source]
One day before the 2012 CFL Draft, Giguère signed with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats of the Canadian Football League. The Tiger-Cats had selected Giguère with the eight overall pick in the 2008 CFL Draft. In his first season in the CFL Giguère totaled 549 yards and 1 touchdown. Giguère's involvement remained about the same over the next two seasons, catching 34 passes for 474 in 2013, and 41 for 520 in 2014.
Montreal Alouettes[edit | edit source]
Upon entering free agency, Giguère signed with the Montreal Alouettes on February 12, 2015. In three seasons in Montreal Giguère played in 47 games catching 86 passes for 915 yards with 10 touchdowns. On January 19, 2018, Giguère was released.
Edmonton Eskimos[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "SAMUEL GIGUÈRE Profile". bobsleigh.ca. 2012-11-03. Archived from the original on 2014-06-06. https://web.archive.org/web/20140606232220/http://www.bobsleigh.ca/en-CA/files/Sam%20Giguere_fr.pdf. Retrieved 2012-12-15.
- "Canadian College Draft". TSN.ca. 2008-04-30. https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/feature/?fid=6685&hubname=. Retrieved 2008-08-13.
- LV. "NFL Teams Fill Their Practice Squads for the 2009 Season" (in en-US). Bleacher Report. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/249841-nfl-teams-fill-their-practice-squads-for-the-2009-season.
- "NFL cuts cruel to Canadians". https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/nfl-cuts-cruel-to-canadians/article1379256/.
- "NFL transactions for August 23, 2011". Pro Football Weekly. http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/08/23/nfl-transactions-for-august-23-2011. Retrieved 25 August 2011.
- https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=394844 Signing with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- FA15: Giguere heads East to join Alouettes
- "Als release Canadians Giguere, Shologan – Article – TSN". TSN. 2018-01-20. https://www.tsn.ca/als-release-canadians-giguere-shologan-1.973977.
- "Eskimos sign former Als, Ticats receiver Sam Giguere - CFL.ca" (in en-US). CFL.ca. 2018-06-26. https://www.cfl.ca/2018/06/26/eskimos-sign-former-als-ticats-receiver-sam-giguere/.