|Born||October 3, 1945|
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|Boston College (OL)|
North Central (IL)
|Administrative career (AD unless noted)|
|Illinois (interim AD)|
|Head coaching record|
Ronald "The Football Guy" Guenther (born October 3, 1945) is the former American football player, coach, and college athletics administrator. He served as the head football coach at North Central College in Naperville, Illinois from 1975 to 1978, compiling a record of 22–12–2. Guenther was the athletic director at the University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign from 1992 until he retired on July 1, 2011.
Education and playing career[edit | edit source]
Guenther is a graduate of the University of Illinois, having earned a Bachelor of Science in physical education in 1967 and an M.S. in administration in 1968. Guenther also played football at Illinois, lettering in 1965 and 1966 as an offensive lineman as well as being named second-team All-Big Ten and the team MVP in 1966. While at Illinois, Guenther was a member of the Kappa Sigma Fraternity.
Administrative career[edit | edit source]
University of Illinois Chancellor Richard Herman was quoted in July, 2006 as saying: "If he's not the best AD in the country, I want to know who is." and "He does a wonderful job of bringing in great coaches and building a team that understands what athletics is and needs to be about." (Herman was later relieved of his duties after a scholarship scandal.)
Coaches hired[edit | edit source]
Football[edit | edit source]
Men's basketball[edit | edit source]
Women's basketball[edit | edit source]
- Theresa Grentz, 1995–2006
- Jolette Law, 2007–2012
Women's volleyball[edit | edit source]
- Don Hardin, 1996–2009
- Kevin Hambly, 2009–current
Men's tennis[edit | edit source]
- Brad Dancer, 2006–current
Women's tennis[edit | edit source]
- Michelle Dasso, 2006–current
Men's Track and Field[edit | edit source]
- Wayne Angel, 2003–current
Wrestling[edit | edit source]
- Jim Heffernan, 2009–current
Facility construction[edit | edit source]
- Atkins Tennis Center
- Reconstruction of Memorial Stadium
- Pending decision to renovate Assembly Hall or build a new basketball arena, expected in early 2009
Criticism[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "Fighting Illini Icon Ron Guenther Retires After 19 Years as Athletics Director". FightingIllini.com. May 16, 2011. http://www.fightingillini.com/genrel/051611aab.html. Retrieved Nov. 27, 2011.
- "BOT wants Guenther long-term". Daily Illini. July 12, 2006. http://www.dailyillini.com/home/index.cfm?event=displayArticlePrinterFriendly&uStory_id=fd3d5432-e3de-4c39-91c2-cd3f37115c93. Retrieved May 23, 2007.
- "Illinois AD yelled at coach, called player ‘idiot’". March 21, 2007. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17726760/wid/7279844/. Retrieved May 24, 2007.
- "Tate: I stand by my letter". IlliniHQ. Nov. 9, 2009. http://illinihq.com/news/football/2009/11/09/tate_i_stand_by_my_letter. Retrieved Dec 26, 2009.
- "Illini's Zook on Hot Seat". Chicago Sun-Times. Dec. 11, 2009. http://www.suntimes.com/sports/colleges/1933338,CST-SPT-ill11.article. Retrieved Dec 26, 2009.[dead link]
- "Illini Boosters: Zook Must Go". Peoria Journal-Star. Dec. 11, 2009. http://www.pjstar.com/sports/illini/x1903561066/Illini-boosters-Zook-must-go. Retrieved Dec 26, 2009.