Roanoke's football program was discontinued during World War II after more than 60 years of competition. Initially a club sport, the first varsity game occurred in 1892 against Allegheny Institute. The final game was a 42–0 loss to Catawba College on November 13, 1942.
In 1985, the Salem city government constructed an 8,000 seat stadium adjacent to Roanoke's "Elizabeth campus", two miles from the main campus, location of athletic fields and residence halls. Constructed for Salem's public high school, many hoped the college would revive its football program and that the team would play in the stadium, but the college declined. The stadium hosts the annual NCAA Division III football championship even though Roanoke does not compete in the sport.
- Roanoke College - website
- Roanoke College - Fast Facts
- Roanoke College - Campus Map
- Roanoke College - Athletics
- Roanoke College - Office of Campus Safety
- Roanoke College - Upward Bound