|No. 91 Houston Texans|
|Date of birth:November 14, 1986|
|Place of birth: Columbia, South Carolina|
|High School: Bamberg-Ehrhardt (SC)|
|Height: 6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)||Weight: 252 lb (114 kg)|
|NFL Draft: 2010 / Round: 5 / Pick: 134|
|Debuted in 2012 for the New York Jets|
|* Philadelphia Eagles ( 2010– 2011)*
|Roster status: Active|
|Career highlights and awards|
|* USA Today High School All-American (2005)
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 15, 2013|
|Stats at NFL.com|
Ricky Sapp (born November 14, 1986) is an American football outside linebacker for the Houston Texans of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles in the fifth round of the 2010 NFL Draft. He played college football at Clemson.
Sapp attended Bamberg-Ehrhardt High School in Bamberg, South Carolina, where he was all-region as a sophomore and all-state as a junior after recording 70 tackles, 27 tackles for loss, and 11 quarterback sacks. In his senior season, he had 82 tackles, 25 tackles for loss, and 11 sacks, earning him All-American honors by USA Today.
Considered a five-star recruit by Rivals.com, Sapp was listed as the No. 1 weakside defensive end prospect in the nation. He chose Clemson over Florida State, Georgia, N.C. State, Oklahoma, South Carolina, and Virginia Tech. Sapp was Clemson's first All-American defensive lineman commit since 1989.
In his initial year at Clemson, Sapp appeared on defense in all 13 games as a true freshman. Despite playing behind All-American Gaines Adams, Sapp had 20 tackles and six tackles for loss on the year and ranked second on the team in sacks (4). He earned a freshman All-American honorable mention by Scout.com.
As a sophomore, Sapp played all 13 games and had 52 tackles, second-most among defensive linemen. He also had 10 tackles for loss, five sacks, and 22 quarterback pressures. In his junior year, Sapp had 10 tackles for loss in just 347 snaps. He entered his senior year fourth among active ACC players in career tackles for loss (26) and fourth among active players in career sacks (11).
Sapp was drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles in the fifth round (134th overall) in the 2010 NFL Draft. He was signed to a four-year contract on June 8, 2010. He was placed on injured reserve on August 31 after suffering a knee injury. Sapp underwent arthroscopic knee surgery in September.
Sapp was placed on the exempt/left squad list on August 4, 2011, after leaving the team for undisclosed reasons. He was waived on August 5.
New York Jets
Sapp was signed to the New York Jets' practice squad on October 31, 2011. He was released on November 21. Sapp was re-signed to the practice squad on November 28. Sapp was promoted to the team's active roster on December 29. Sapp was waived August 31, 2012.
Sapp was signed to the team's practice squad on September 1, 2012. He was released on September 5. Sapp was re-signed to the practice squad on September 11. On November 8, 2012, He was promoted to the active roster from the practice squad. Sapp was released on October 5, 2013. He was re-signed on October 9, 2013. Sapp was released on November 14, 2013 to make room for Ed Reed.
- "Weakside defensive ends 2006", Rivals.com, January 30, 2006, http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1153&Year=2006
- McPherson, Chris (June 8, 2010). "Sapp Is In With A Four-Year Deal". PhiladelphiaEagles.com. http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=21196. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- McPherson, Chris (August 31, 2010). "Sapp To IR; Eagles Claim DE Egboh". philadelphiaeagles.com. http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=21729. Retrieved 2010-08-31.
- Smith, Michael David (August 5, 2011). "Eagles cut Ricky Sapp". profootballtalk.com. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/05/eagles-cut-ricky-sapp/. Retrieved 2011-08-05.
- Lange, Randy (October 31, 2011). "Jets Return from Bye, Announce Transactions". New York Jets. Archived from the original on November 2, 2011. http://www.webcitation.org/62tiqqKde. Retrieved November 2, 2011.
- Jets Media Relations Department (November 21, 2011). "Jones Returns in Swap of Practice Squad LBs". New York Jets. Archived from the original on November 23, 2011. http://www.webcitation.org/63PlQm6oi. Retrieved November 23, 2011.
- Cimini, Rich (November 28, 2011). "Curious move: Cook is cut". ESPN. Archived from the original on November 28, 2011. http://www.webcitation.org/63Y3x5mI1. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- Jets Media Relations Department (December 29, 2011). "Sapp Signed, Riley Returns to P-Squad". New York Jets. Archived from the original on December 29, 2011. http://www.webcitation.org/64KOpDyp9. Retrieved December 29, 2011.
- Lange, Randy (31 August 2012). "Final 7 Cuts Announced, Roster’s Now at 53". New York Jets. Archived from the original on 31 August 2012. http://www.webcitation.org/6ALMtuxNK. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
- Jets Media Relations Department (1 September 2012). "Jets Announce Roster, Practice Squad Moves". New York Jets. Archived from the original on 1 September 2012. http://www.webcitation.org/6AMYfSBpo. Retrieved 1 September 2012.
- Jets Media Relations Department (5 September 2012). "Dixon Returns, Malone Signs On to Punt". New York Jets. Archived from the original on 5 September 2012. http://www.webcitation.org/6ASqJSPZS. Retrieved 5 September 2012.
- Jets Media Relations Department (11 September 2012). "WR Turner Waived, LB Sapp Back on P-Squad". New York Jets. Archived from the original on 11 September 2012. http://www.webcitation.org/6AbqA2RQJ. Retrieved 11 September 2012.
- "Jets elevate OLB Sapp". espn.go.com. http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/17426/jets-elevate-olb-sapp. Retrieved November 8, 2012.
- "Jets promote LB Ricky Sapp to active roster, sign S Allen to practice squad". foxnews.com. http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/11/08/jets-promote-lb-ricky-sapp-to-active-roster-sign-s-allen-to-practice-squad/. Retrieved November 8, 2012.
- Lange, Randy (5 October 2013). "Mike Goodson, Michael Campbell to Active Roster". New York Jets. Archived from the original on 5 October 2013. http://www.webcitation.org/6K9Shoavw. Retrieved 5 October 2013.
- Fensom, Michael (9 October 2013). "Antwan Barnes, Jets' linebacker, lost for season with knee injury". The Star-Ledger. Archived from the original on 9 October 2013. http://www.webcitation.org/6KFHy8DgH. Retrieved 9 October 2013.
- Woo, Stu (14 November 2013). "Jets Add Wisdom to Secondary". Wall Street Journal. Archived from the original on 15 November 2013. http://www.webcitation.org/6L9nJfGx8. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Alper, Josh (15 November 2013). "Texans claim Ricky Sapp off waivers from the Jets". ProFootballTalk. Archived from the original on 16 November 2013. http://www.webcitation.org/6LBiZ37jP. Retrieved 16 November 2013.