|No. 13 Edmonton Eskimos|
| File:14453-LSC Football Festival-0417 (15325397065).jpg |
Collins playing for Texas A&M–Commerce in 2014.
|Born:||March 5, 1992|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (183 cm)|
|Weight||200 lb (91 kg)|
|College||Kilgore Junior College|
|High school||John Tyler (Tyler, Texas)|
Ricky Collins Jr. (born March 5, 1992) is a Canadian football wide receiver for the Edmonton Eskimos of the Canadian Football League (CFL). He played college football at Kilgore Junior College, Midwestern State University, and Texas A&M University–Commerce. He has been a member of the Green Bay Packers of the NFL, as well as the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Saskatchewan Roughriders, Hamilton Tiger-Cats, and the BC Lions, all of the CFL.
High school career Edit
Collins played high school football at John Tyler High School, in his hometown, Tyler, Texas. During his senior season, he caught 44 passes for 1,053 yards and 13 touchdowns. He also ran the sprint relays in track for his high school.
After playing at Kilgore, Collins transferred to Midwestern State University for the 2012 season. He started in 2 out of the first 5 games and hauled in 7 passes for 98 yards, before walking away from football to care for his ill father.
After the 2012 season, Collins transferred to Texas A&M University–Commerce but had to sit out a year as a redshirt and pay his own way through school due to the fact that Midwestern State had not released him to be transferred.
After sitting out for the 2013 season, Collins was eligible to play in 2014 and caught 71 passes for 1,187 yards and 14 touchdowns, he also threw a 44 yard touchdown pass on a trick play in a game against Tarleton. He currently holds the A&M–Commerce record for touchdown receptions in a season, which was previously held by his teammate Vernon Johnson. He helped lead a conference championship-winning A&M–Commerce team that led the nation in both average points per game (54.1) and average yards per game (535.4). Collins also took part in the team's season-opening, record-breaking performance against East Texas Baptist, during which the offense produced 13 touchdowns, 98 points, and 986 total yards of offense. After the season, he was awarded Lone Star Conference first team honors.
After the 2014 season Collins was selected to compete in the College Gridiron Showcase. He was projected to be drafted in the 6th or 7th round of the NFL Draft. However, one NFL scout said of Collins: "Good size and has talent but was in a very simple offense and I think he needs to come in as a free agent and prove he can take on a pro offense."
|2013||Texas A&M–Commerce|| |
Green Bay PackersEdit
After his 2014 season, Collins signed with the Green Bay Packers as an undrafted free agent. He sustained an injury during minicamp and was placed on the physically unable to perform list entering training camp before the preseason. Collins was cut by the Packers with an injury settlement just before the start of the 2015 preseason.
Winnipeg Blue BombersEdit
Collins signed with the Saskatchewan Roughriders on May 29, 2016. Collins got off to a great start in the 2016 season with his best performance coming in a Week 3 game against the Edmonton Eskimos, where Collins caught 6 passes for 115 yards and 1 touchdown. Collins was placed on the six-game injured reserve list on September 17, 2016. Collins returned from injury in Week 17 and had a big performance, catching 7 passes for 113 yards and 1 touchdown against the Toronto Argonauts. Collins finished his first season with 48 receptions for 720 yards and 2 touchdowns. He also had 8 kick returns for 151 yards, 4 punt returns for 41 yards, and 1 missed field goal returned for 38 yards, giving him a total of 950 all-purpose yards for the season. He was second on the team in receiving yards and tied for second on the team in receiving touchdowns despite the fact that he missed 4 games. Collins began the 2017 season on the six-game injured reserve list with a shoulder injury that he had sustained during the Week 1 match-up against the Montreal Alouettes. Collins would only play in only one game for the Riders in 2017.
Hamilton Tiger-Cats Edit
On August 21, 2017, Collins was traded to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats along with a seventh round pick in the 2018 CFL draft, in exchange for defensive end Mike McAdoo and a sixth round pick in the 2018 draft. He was cut from team on September 26, 2017 having never made an appearance.
BC Lions Edit
About a week after free agency began Collins signed with the BC Lions on February 22, 2018. On July 20 in a game against the Ottawa Redblacks Collins caught 6 passes for 81 yards and a touchdown including a clutch 39 yard reception in the 2nd quarter to put the Lions into scoring position. However the Lions still fell short and lost the game 29-25. He had another big performance in a rematch against the Redblacks, Collins finished the game with 10 receptions for 105 yards and a touchdown as the Lions defeated the Redblacks 26-14. The Lions made the playoffs and lost 48-8 against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, Collins led the team in receiving in this playoff game with 5 receptions for 95 yards. Collins finished the season with 60 receptions for 611 yards, 2 receiving touchdowns, 10 rushing yards, along with 46 yards as a returner on special teams.
Edmonton Eskimos Edit
In February 2019, Collins was signed to a 3 year contract during the first day of free agency.
|Receiving||Rushing||Kick return||Punt return||Missed FG return|
|Receiving||Rushing||Kick return||Punt return||Missed FG return|
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 "Ricky Collins - 2012 Football". http://www.msumustangs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1664.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "Ricky Collins - 2014 Football". http://www.lionathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1934.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 "Sacrifices pay off for rookie receiver Collins". http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2015/05/15/sacrifices-pay-packers-rookie-receiver-ricky-collins/27409041/.
- ↑ "Football Remains Unbeaten in LSC with 53-25 Win Over Tarleton State". http://lionathletics.com/news/2014/10/5/FB_1005140933.aspx?path=football.
- ↑ "Six Lions Named Don Hansen's All-Region Team". http://lionathletics.com/news/2014/12/16/FB_1216142057.aspx?path=football.
- ↑ "Lions Open Season in Record-Breaking Fashion Thursday". http://www.lionathletics.com/news/2014/9/5/FB_0905144620.aspx?path=football.
- ↑ "Six Lions Earn First Team, Twenty-Six Total Honored by the Lone Star Conference". http://lionathletics.com/news/2014/11/20/FB_1120144556.aspx?path=football.
- ↑ "Three Lions to Play In College Gridiron Showcase". http://www.lionathletics.com/news/2015/1/26/FB_0126154701.aspx?path=football.
- ↑ "2015 NFL Draft Profile: Ricky Collins". http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ricky-collins?id=2553278.
- ↑ Western, Evan "Tex". "The Packers put four players on the PUP & NFI lists today, but Jordy Nelson and Nick Perry aren't among them". http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/packers-training-camp-2015/2015/7/29/9070019/training-camp-2015-packers-pup-list-mike-neal-quinten-rollins-john-crockett-ricky-collins.
- ↑ "Packers release WR Ricky Collins, who did not practice in training camp". http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2015/8/11/9133481/packers-release-wr-ricky-collins.
- ↑ "Bombers add receiver Collins". http://www.bluebombers.com/2016/01/13/bombers-add-receiver-collins/.
- ↑ "JUNE 2016". cfl.ca. Archived from the original on June 13, 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20160613232004/http://www.cfl.ca/transactions/. Retrieved June 13, 2016.
- ↑ "RIDERS TRANSACTION- MAY 29TH". riderville.com. May 29, 2016. Archived from the original on June 13, 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20160613231616/http://www.riderville.com/2016/05/29/riders-transaction-may-29th/. Retrieved June 13, 2016.
- ↑ "2016-07-08 - Saskatchewan Roughriders vs. Edmonton Eskimos (2287) Archives - Saskatchewan Roughriders" (in en-US). http://www.riderville.com/games/2287/saskatchewan-roughriders-vs-edmonton-eskimos/.
- ↑ "Roughriders hope third time's a charm against Eskimos | News Talk 650 CKOM". http://ckom.com/article/1050698/roughriders-hope-third-time-s-charm-against-eskimos.
- ↑ "2016-10-15 - Saskatchewan Roughriders vs. Toronto Argonauts (2343) Archives - Saskatchewan Roughriders" (in en-US). http://www.riderville.com/games/2343/saskatchewan-roughriders-vs-toronto-argonauts/.
- ↑ Pedersen, Rod. "Riders WR Ricky Collins to miss time with shoulder injury". http://www.620ckrm.com/2017/06/27/riders-wr-ricky-collins-to-miss-time-with-shoulder-injury/.
- ↑ "Roughriders trade Collins to Tiger-Cats - Article - TSN". TSN. August 18, 2017. https://www.tsn.ca/roughriders-trade-collins-to-tiger-cats-1.834034.
- ↑ "Ticats release former Riders WR Ricky Collins Jr. - CFL.ca" (in en-US). CFL.ca. September 26, 2017. https://www.cfl.ca/2017/09/26/ticats-release-former-riders-wr-ricky-collins-jr/.
- ↑ Lions add receivers Ricky Collins and Kieren Duncan
- ↑ "2018-07-20 Game Tracker - BC Lions vs. Ottawa Redblacks (2486) - CFL.ca" (in en-US). https://www.cfl.ca/games/2486/.
- ↑ "2018-09-07 Game Tracker - Ottawa Redblacks vs. BC Lions (2512) - CFL.ca" (in en-US). https://www.cfl.ca/games/2512/.
- ↑ "2018-11-11 Game Tracker - BC Lions vs. Hamilton Tiger-Cats (2547) - BC Lions" (in en-US). https://www.bclions.com/games/2547/bc-lions-vs-hamilton-tiger-cats/?_ga=2.188795049.360331417.1542052757-1430980622.1530577754.
- ↑ https://globalnews.ca/news/4952184/edmonton-eskimos-free-agency-mike-reilly/
- ↑ "Ricky Collins - CFL.ca" (in en-US). https://www.cfl.ca/players/ricky-collins/.