|Born:||August 4, 1992|
Hendersonville, North Carolina
|Height:||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Weight:||315 lb (143 kg)|
|High school:||Pahokee (Pahokee, Florida)|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2017|
Richard Ash (born August 4, 1992) is an American football defensive tackle who is currently a free agent. He was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Jacksonville Jaguars after the 2015 NFL Draft. He played college football at Western Michigan University.
Ash attended Pahokee High School, playing for the Pahokee Blue Devils football team, while being teammates with Janoris Jenkins and Merrill Noel. In his sophomore year, Pahokee went 14–0, beating Newberry 53–14 at the Florida Citrus Bowl for the 2008 FHSAA Class 2B State championship.
As a junior, he tallied 84 tackles (7 for loss), 5 sacks, one interception, 5 forced fumbles and 2 fumble recoveries. As a senior, he registered 45 tackles (13 for loss), 4 sacks and 2 fumble recoveries.
Ash accepted a football scholarship from the University of Michigan, where he was a reserve defensive tackle. He was redshirted in 2010. From 2011 to 2013, he appeared in 14 games, collecting 3 career tackles.
He transferred to Western Michigan University at the end of the 2013 season. As a fifth-year senior in 2014, he appeared in 13 games (12 starts), while posting 42 tackles and 7.5 tackles for loss (third on the team).
Ash was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Jacksonville Jaguars after the 2015 NFL Draft. He was waived on September 4. He was signed to the Jaguars' practice squad on September 6. On January 1, 2016, he was promoted to the active roster to play in the season finale against the Houston Texans.
He was released on September 3, and signed to the practice squad the next day. He was promoted to the active roster on October 25. He was released on November 26 after being activated for one game against the Tennessee Titans, and was re-signed to the practice squad three days later.
On December 28, 2016, Ash was signed by the Dallas Cowboys off the Jaguars' practice squad, with the team suffering multiple injuries along the defensive line and losing defensive end Zach Moore to the San Francisco 49ers. He was acquired to provide depth to play the last game of the season and rest Tyrone Crawford, Cedric Thornton and Terrell McClain for the playoffs. He played in the season finale against the Philadelphia Eagles and had 2 tackles.
On September 2, 2017, he was waived and was signed to the practice squad the next day. On October 21, he was promoted to the active roster to improve the depth at the defensive line with Stephen Paea being placed on the injured reserve list.
San Antonio Commanders (AAF)
On January 5, 2019, Ash was signed by the San Antonio Commanders of the Alliance of American Football. On January 30, he was released by the Commanders as part of the final training camp cuts. He was added to the team's rights list and re-signed to a contract on March 25. He was activated to the roster on March 26. He played with the team until the league folded in April.
- "Jaguars make roster moves". May 11, 2015. https://web.archive.org/web/20170903210318/http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-PressRelease/Jaguars-make-roster-moves/06a757c3-57db-4111-a13c-74b5e40aa8bc.
- "Pahokee blasts past Newberry". Ocala Star-Banner. December 9, 2007. http://www.ocala.com/article/LK/20071209/News/604247833/OS/.
- "Jaguars cut 18, including two 2015 draft picks". Pro Football Talk. NBC Sports. September 4, 2015. Archived from the original on September 4, 2015. https://web.archive.org/web/20150904234632/http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/04/jaguars-cut-18-including-two-2015-draft-picks/.
- "Jaguars sign eight to practice squad". September 6, 2015. Archived from the original on September 7, 2015. https://web.archive.org/web/20150907171006/http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-JaguarsNews/Jaguars-sign-eight-to-practice-squad/7bfafe23-7c40-4fa2-8b7f-f1abb75b2c7a.
- "Jaguars place Abry Jones on IR, sign Richard Ash from PS". January 1, 2016. https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/2016/01/01/jacksonville-jaguars-roster-moves-abry-jones-richard-ash/78178638/.
- Oehser, John (September 3, 2016). "Down to 53: LB Davis, OG Bernadeau released". https://web.archive.org/web/20170813013636/http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-JaguarsNews/Down-to-53-LB-Davis-OG-Bernadeau-released/d39aa0b3-fc8a-47df-9a6d-c71d01ffa980.
- Oehser, John (September 4, 2016). "Jaguars claim LB Brown, S Huff". https://web.archive.org/web/20170824053131/http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-JaguarsNews/Jaguars-claim-LB-Brown-S-Huff/c26e95d6-a225-4788-966c-64ffb4bd517e.
- "Jaguars Place DT Roy Miller On I.R. & Sign DT Louis Nix To Practice Squad". http://nfltraderumors.co/jaguars-dt-roy-miller-lose-dt-roy-miller-achilles-injury/.
- "Jaguars Promote TE Alex Ellis To Active Roster & Waive DT Richard Ash". November 26, 2016. http://nfltraderumors.co/jaguars-promote-te-alex-ellis-active-roster-waive-dt-richard-ash/.
- "Jaguars Sign DT Richard Ash & WR Mekale McKay To PS, Cut TE E.J. Bibbs". November 29, 2016. http://nfltraderumors.co/jaguars-sign-dt-richard-ash-wr-mekale-mckay-ps-cut-te-e-j-bibbs/.
- Halprin, Dave (December 28, 2016). "Cowboys Lose A Defensive Lineman To Injury, Sign A New Player To Take His Place". http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016/12/28/14101890/dallas-cowboys-lose-a-defensive-lineman-to-injury-sign-a-new-player-to-take-his-place.
- Phillips, Rob (September 2, 2017). "Cowboys Make 38 Moves, One Trade To Reach 53; Kellen Moore Released". https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/cowboys-make-38-moves-one-trade-to-reach-53-kellen-moore-released-439246.
- Eatman, Nick (September 3, 2017). "Showers, Drafted CB & 2 WRs Headline Cowboys’ 10-Man Practice Squad". https://web.archive.org/web/20180316061544/http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2017/09/03/showers-drafted-cb-2-wrs-headline-cowboys%E2%80%99-10-man-practice-squad.
- "Cowboys promote Richard Ash, not Lewis Neal, to fill 53rd roster spot". October 21, 2017. http://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/21/dallas-cowboys-roster-move-richard-ash-lewis-neal-stephen-paea-salary/.
- Eatman, Nick (August 20, 2018). "Cowboys Sign Safety, DT; Showers to IR". https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/cowboys-sign-safety-dt-showers-to-ir.