|Date of birth:||October 3, 1971|
|Place of birth:||Emporia, Virginia|
|NFL Draft:||1993 / Round: 8 / Pick: 213|
|Drafted by:||Dallas Cowboys|
|CFL East All-Star:||1996|
|Playing stats at|
Reginald Alonzo Givens (born October 3, 1971 in Emporia, Virginia) is a former American football linebacker in both the Canadian Football League and National Football League for the Baltimore Stallions, Toronto Argonauts, San Francisco 49ers and Washington Redskins. He played college football at Penn State University.
Early years[edit | edit source]
Givens attended Sussex Central High School, where he was an All-American and Virginia's high school defensive player of the year in 1988, after registering over 100 tackles. He also was a standout in basketball and track.
He accepted a scholarship from Penn State University and became a starter at outside linebacker as a true freshman for the last 5 games of the season, which was a difficult achievement in a Joe Paterno coached team. What he lacked in size, he compensated with his speed and instincts, finishing with 38 tackles (3 for loss), 2 sacks, 2 passes defensed and 2 fumble recoveries.
As a sophomore, he started nine games at sam linebacker, recording 47 tackles (sixth on the team), 3 tackles for loss, 5 passes defensed, 2 sacks and one interception. As a junior, he started every game for a team that finished ranked third in the nation, posting 41 tackles (5 for loss), 2 sacks and 2 interceptions.
As a senior co-captain he posted 59 tackles (second on the team), 7 tackles for loss, 7 passes defensed, 2 sacks and 2 forced fumbles. His best moment came when he was named the defensive MVP of the 1992 Fiesta Bowl in a 47-17 win against the University of Tennessee, after causing two crucial turnovers, including a fumble return for a 23-yard touchdown. After his career was over, Paterno told NFL scouts that Givens "was my best linebacker here since Jack Ham".
Professional career[edit | edit source]
Dallas Cowboys[edit | edit source]
Givens was selected by the Dallas Cowboys in the eighth round (213th overall) of the 1993 NFL Draft, after dropping because he was considered undersized for the linebacker position. Because of his speed, he was tried both at linebacker and strong safety, before being waived on August 30.
Chicago Bears[edit | edit source]
Winnipeg Blue Bombers (CFL)[edit | edit source]
Baltimore Stallions (CFL)[edit | edit source]
On August 9, 1995, he was signed by the Baltimore Stallions of the Canadian Football League. He was the backup of middle linebacker O. J. Brigance and was a part of the team that won the Grey Cup that season.
Toronto Argonauts (CFL)[edit | edit source]
In 1996 he signed with the Toronto Argonauts, where he played at linebacker and rush end. He won two straight Grey Cups with the team. His 182 fumble recovery yards in 1997, was a CFL single season record.
San Francisco 49ers[edit | edit source]
Washington Redskins[edit | edit source]
Toronto Argonauts (CFL)[edit | edit source]
Ottawa Renegades (CFL)[edit | edit source]
Personal life[edit | edit source]
Givens is a fitness and wellness coach with his own company Blitz Mobile Fitness. He is also a real estate broker.
References[edit | edit source]
- "Freshman to the fore". https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1129&dat=19891110&id=UNFRAAAAIBAJ&sjid=ZG4DAAAAIBAJ&pg=5200,3701781. Retrieved April 30, 2017.
- "'Linebacker U.' builds a noteworthy squad". http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archives/article_9b18670e-0254-57cb-878b-710ca647b3f6.html. Retrieved April 30, 2017.
- "1992 - Penn State 42, Tennessee 17". http://www.espn.com/abcsports/bcs/fiesta/s/1992.html. Retrieved April 30, 2017.
- "Transactions". https://www.nytimes.com/1993/08/31/sports/transactions-693593.html. Retrieved April 30, 2017.
- "Transactions". http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1994-08-19/sports/1994231009_1_assistant-basketball-coach-assistant-general-manager-hockey-coach. Retrieved April 30, 2017.
- "Transactions". https://www.nytimes.com/1995/08/10/sports/transactions-207395.html. Retrieved April 30, 2017.
- "At Redskins Park, New Faces, Feet". https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/2000/11/10/at-redskins-park-new-faces-feet/e4e613b7-91eb-4557-b8cc-5009a5bf1518/. Retrieved April 30, 2017.
- "Renegades add Canadian fullback". http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/renegades-add-canadian-fullback/n-3140762. Retrieved April 30, 2017.