Johnson with Atlanta Falcons
|No. 11, 12, 16|
|Date of birth:June 17, 1944|
|Place of birth: San Antonio, Texas|
|Date of death: September 17, 2009(aged 65)|
|Place of death: Brevard, North Carolina|
|College: Texas A&I|
|NFL Draft: 1966 / Round: 1 / Pick: 16|
|AFL Draft: 1966 / Round: 4 / Pick: 27|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
|* Atlanta Falcons ( 1966− 1970)|
|Career highlights and awards|
|* All-WFL (1974)|
|Career NFL statistics as of 1976|
|Stats at NFL.com|
Randolph Klaus "Randy" Johnson (June 17, 1944 – September 17, 2009) was an American football player. He was the starting quarterback for the Atlanta Falcons in their inaugural season of 1966. He also had a brief career with the Green Bay Packers. In 1974, he played with The Hawaiians of the World Football League.
Born and raised in San Antonio, Texas, Johnson graduated from its Sam Houston High School in 1962. He played college football at Texas A&I in Kingsville (now Texas A&M–Kingsville), teammates with guard Gene Upshaw.
Johnson entered the 1966 NFL draft, and became the first Texas A&I player to ever be selected in the first round (16th overall). Over his professional career, he completed 647 of 1,286 passes (a 50.3-percentage) for 51 touchdowns and 90 interceptions.
References[edit | edit source]
- Pasquarelli, Len (May 16, 1999). "Falcons' first quarterback struggling to rebuild life". Tuscaloosa News. Cox News Service (Alabama): p. 8C. https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=2j0dAAAAIBAJ&sjid=XqYEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6613%2C3490491.
- Hummer, Steve (October 5, 2009). "Ex-Falcon QB spent sad life in long, lonely end zone". Atlanta Journal-Constitution. http://www.scoreatl.com/stories/ex-falcon-qb-spent-sad-life-in-long-lonely-end-zone//. Retrieved March 3, 2009.
- "S.A. native who became Atlanta Falcons’ first QB dead at 65". http://www.kens5.com/sports/stories/KENS20090924-SA-Falcons-QB-Dead.1ad8b82f8.html.[dead link]
[edit | edit source]
- Career statistics and player information from NFL.com • Pro-Football-Reference • Databasefootball.com
- World Football League players – Randy Johnson
- Randy Johnson (quarterback) at Find a Grave
|This biographical article relating to an American football quarterback born in the 1940s is a stub. You can help The American Football Database by expanding it.|