Officially named the Professional Football Writers of America (PFWA), this organization purports to be "The official voice of pro football writers, promoting and fighting for access to NFL personnel to best serve the public." Goals of the organization include improving access to practices and locker rooms, developing working relationships with all teams, and ensuring that football writers are treated in a professional manner. As of 2005 the group consisted of over 300 writers, editors, and columnists who cover pro football. 
The PFWA issues the following awards: an All-NFL team published by Pro Football Weekly, one NFL Most Valuable Player Award (since 1975), the Dick McCann Memorial Award, the George S. Halas Courage Award, the Good Guy award, the Horrigan Award, and the Rozelle Award.
NFL Most Valuable Player AwardEdit
- See: National Football League Most Valuable Player Award#Pro Football Writers Association NFL MVP Award
George S. Halas Courage AwardEdit
- Note: The George S. Halas Courage Award should not be confused with the Newspaper Enterprise Association's George S. Halas Trophy that was awarded to the NFL defensive player of the year from 1966 to 1996 or the NFL's George Halas Trophy that is awarded to the National Football Conference champion.
The George S. Halas Courage Award is given to the player or coach who has performed with abandon despite injury or personal problems.
In May, 1970, the Halas Award went to Gale Sayers for his comeback from knee surgery to lead the NFL in rushing in 1969. In New York, at the Pro Football Writers Association banquet, Gale Sayers gave an emotional speech that was memorialized in the film Brian's Song. Said Sayers, "You flatter me by giving me this award, but I’ll tell you here and now that I accept it for Brian Piccolo. Brian Piccolo is the man of courage who should receive the George S. Halas Award. I accept it tonight, but I’ll present it to Brian tomorrow. I love Brian Piccolo. And I’d like all of you to love him, too. And tonight, when you hit your knees, ask God to love him, too."
Other notable winners of the PFWA Halas Award include Joe Namath, Steeler running back Rocky Bleier, Hall of Fame cornerback Jimmy Johnson , New York Giant cancer survivor Karl Nelson , Hall of Famers Dan Hampton and Joe Montana, Denver Broncos guard Mark Schlereth , former N.Y. Giant Kerry Collins , San Francisco 49ers Garrison Hearst  and Bryant Young , Carolina coach and former linebacker Sam Mills , Dolphins running back Robert Edwards, Carolina linebacker Mark Fields, Indianapolis Colt Head Coach Tony Dungy, New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees, New England Patriots Owner Robert Kraft (first NFL owner and first Patriot to receive one)  .
Good Guy AwardEdit
- See: Jack Horrigan
Dick McCann Memorial AwardEdit
The Rozelle Award is given to the club public relations department that consistently strives for excellence in its dealings and relationships with the media.
- George Strickler, Chicago Tribune
- Tony Atchison, Washington Star
- John Steadman, Baltimore News-American
- William Guthrie, New Haven Journal
- Joe King, New York World-Telegram
- Dick Connor, Denver Post
- Edwin Pope, Miami Herald
- Larry Felser, Buffalo News
- Paul Zimmerman, Sports Illustrated
- Larry Fox, New York Daily News
- Bob Roesler, New Orleans Times Picayune
- Cooper Rollow, Chicago Tribune
- Vito Stellino, Baltimore Morning Sun
- Glenn Sheeley, Atlanta Journal-Constitution
- Don Pierson, Chicago Tribune
- Ira Miller, San Francisco Chronicle
- Vic Carucci, Buffalo News
- Len Pasquarelli, Atlanta Journal-Constitution
- Steve Schoenfeld, Arizona Republic
- John Clayton, Tacoma News-Tribune
- Adam Schefter, Denver Post
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle
- David Elfin, Washington Times
- Charean Williams, Fort Worth Star-Telegram
- Mark Gaughan, Buffalo News (present)
- Football Writers Association of America (college)
- Baseball Writers Association of America
- National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association
- Pro Basketball Writers Association
- United States Basketball Writers Association (college)
- Professional Hockey Writers Association
- National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association