Point Stadium is the name of two stadiums located on the same site in Johnstown, Pennsylvania. The "Point" refers to its location is at the confluence of the Little Conemaugh, Stonycreek, and Conemaugh rivers.
The original stadium opened in 1926 with a capacity of 17,000. The stadium featured an upper-deck on top of the grandstand. The Greater Johnstown High School football team regularly sold out the Point for their rivalry games between Windber High School and Altoona Area High School. The upper grandstand was later removed and capacity was reduced to 10,000. It was the home of numerous minor-league baseball teams and the All-American Amateur Baseball Association (AAABA) World Series baseball tournament. It was also used for filming in All The Right Moves.
The original Point Stadium had unusual field dimensions. Fitted into a rectangular city block, it was just 251 feet down the right-field line and 262 feet down the left-field line, but bulged out to over 400 feet in center field, depending on the location of a snow fence which cut off the farthest reaches of the stadium in right center field. Huge nets were put in left field to keep balls in play, preventing easy home runs, and also to prevent balls from reaching the adjacent street.
- The original Point Stadium's dimensions (1926–2002)
- Left Field Foul Line: 262 feet
- Center Field: 385 feet
- Right Field Foul Line: 251 feet
The original Point Stadium was torn down in 2005 to make room for a new $8 million Point Stadium. The new, 7,500-seat stadium opened on August 8, 2006, for a game between Johnstown and Chicago in the annual AAABA National Tournament. Bishop McCort High School currently plays its home football games here. Sportexe artificial turf was installed before the 2007 AAABA National Tournament.
Point Stadium is also used by the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown for most of their home games. UPJ has also hosted the West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Conference baseball championships at Point Stadium in the 2008, 2009, and 2010 seasons. The tournament will also be held at the stadium in 2012. The 2010 and 2011 Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference Baseball Tournaments were held at the stadium.
- The current Point Stadium's dimensions
- Left Field Foul Line: 290 feet
- Left Center Field: 336 feet
- Center Field: 409 feet
- Right Center Field: 395
- Right Field Foul Line: 290 feet
AAABA Hall of Fame
- See: All-American Amateur Baseball Association Hall of Fame
Pittsburgh Steelers Practices
- Johnstown's Historic Point Stadium: Home of the AAABA National Tournament. All-American Amateur Baseball Association official website. Retrieved 2010-08-23.
- , Pittsburgh Press 09-24-1987
- Photographs of Point Stadium - Rochester Area Ballparks The movie "All The Right Moves" had scenes filmed here.
- Point Stadium at wviac.org
|Events and tenants|
Don Edwards Park
|Host of the FL All-Star Game
Don McBride Stadium
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Point Stadium.|
The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with American Football Database, the text of Wikipedia is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.