Garçon at Redskins training camp in 2012.
|No. 88 Washington Redskins|
|Date of birth:August 8, 1986|
|Place of birth: Carmel, New York|
|High School: Greenacres (FL) Leonard|
|Height: 6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)||Weight: 210 lb (95 kg)|
|College: Mount Union|
|NFL Draft: 2008 / Round: 6 / Pick: 205|
|Debuted in 2008 for the Indianapolis Colts|
|Roster status: Active|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2012|
|Stats at NFL.com|
Pierre Andre Garçon (//; born August 8, 1986 in Carmel, New York) is an American football wide receiver of Haitian descent who plays for the Washington Redskins of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Indianapolis Colts in the sixth round of the 2008 NFL Draft. He played college football at Mount Union College.
High school careerEdit
Garçon started his college career at Norwich University in Northfield, Vermont. As a freshman in 2004, he played in ten games and had 44 receptions for 1,017 yards and 13 touchdowns. Wanting to play in a more football oriented program, he transferred to Mount Union College in the Ohio Athletic Conference. He averaged over 60 catches, 1000 yards and 15 touchdowns in his career as a Purple Raider. While at Mount Union he led the team to two consecutive Div III National Championships, falling just short of a third. During his sophomore season in 2005, he earned Ohio Athletic Conference second-team honors after having 68 receptions for 1,196 yards and 16 touchdowns. As a junior, he was named to the Ohio Athletic Conference first-team and was the recipient of the Ed Sherman Award for the OAC's most outstanding receiver. That season, he was third in the nation with 1,212 receiving yards and had 67 receptions with 17 touchdowns. As a senior in 2007, Garçon was Ohio Athletic Conference first-team and was the recipient of the Ed Sherman Award, for the second time. He had 67 receptions for 955 yards and 14 touchdowns.
Track and fieldEdit
|100 meters||10.61||Berea, Kentucky||April 29, 2006|
|200 meters||21.69||Berea, Kentucky||April 29, 2006|
2008 NFL CombineEdit
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP||Wonderlic|
|6 ft 0 in||210 lb||4.42 s||1.50 s||2.56 s||4.19 s||6.90 s||36.5 in||10 ft 5 in||20 rep|
Garçon was drafted by the Indianapolis Colts in the sixth round of the 2008 NFL Draft with the 205th overall pick. In Week 2 against the Minnesota Vikings, he made his NFL debut. Later in Week 10 against the Pittsburgh Steelers, he recorded his first reception. Garçon spent his rookie season as a backup receiver recording only four catches for 23 yards.
By the start of the 2009 season, Garçon was made Reggie Wayne's back-up. After Anthony Gonzalez was injured in the first game of the season, he took his place in the starting lineup. In Week 2 against the Miami Dolphins, he had his first start and recorded his first touchdown. He continued to be a starter until a hand injury caused him to miss the last two games of the season. He displayed himself as a deep threat in Peyton Manning's offense, recording 47 receptions, 765 yards, and four touchdowns in his second season.
In the 2010, Garçon had the starting spot most of the season with the exception for Week 3 and 4, where he was inactive for both games. In Week 6 against the Washington Redskins, he made an impressive one-handed catch. By the end of the season, he had 67 receptions for 784 yards and six touchdowns.
Despite Peyton Manning being out the entire 2011 season due to injury, Garçon had his best season with the Colts. He started in all 16 games of the season and recorded 70 receptions, 947 receiving yards, and six touchdowns
On March 13, 2012, Garçon signed a five-year $42.5 million, $20.5 million guaranteed, contract with the Washington Redskins. He was the Redskins' first free agent signing for the 2012 season. During the first OTA of the 2012 preseason, Garçon and Brandyn Thompson accidentally collided into coach Mike Shanahan. In the season opening 40-32 win against the New Orleans Saints, he scored the first touchdown. After catching a 16-yard pass from Robert Griffin III, Garçon ran for an additional 72 yards and a touchdown, which gave Griffin his first career touchdown. Despite not playing for the entire second half of the game due to a foot injury, he finished with 109 yards on four receptions and one touchdown. After missing several games due to the same foot injury, it was confirmed on October 25 that he had a plantar plate tear in the bottom of his right foot. In the Week 12 win against the Dallas Cowboys on Thanksgiving, he would score his second touchdown of the season after catching a 59-yard pass from Griffin.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Meet a Colt: Pierre Garcon". New York Post. January 19, 2010. http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/meet_colt_jVHA19dHfubO4NoMLTpCFL.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Pierre Garcon – 85. pierregarconlive.com
- ↑ "Titans' Washington emerging on, off field". ProFootballWeekly.com. 17 December 2011. http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/12/17/titans-washington-emerging-on-off-field. Retrieved 19 December 2011.
- ↑ Pierre Garcon, WR for the Indianapolis Colts at. Nfl.com. Retrieved on 2011-09-10.
- ↑ Ohio Athletic Conference. (PDF) . Retrieved on 2011-09-10.
- ↑ 2008 Football Media Guide. oac.org
- ↑ Klemko, Robert (13 March 2012). "Redskins add WRs Garcon, Morgan". USA Today. http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2012/03/pierre-garcon-says-he-will-sign-with-washington-redskins/1#.T2DAfnnNljw. Retrieved 14 March 2012.
- ↑ Campbell, Rich (2012-03-14). "Garcon hopes to be key cog in Redskins’ return to winning ways". WashingtonTimes.com. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/mar/14/pierre-garcon-hopes-to-be-key-cog-in-redskins-retu/.
- ↑ Corbett, Jim (May 21, 2012). "Redskins' Mike Shanahan knocked to turf in collision". USAToday.com. http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2012/05/redskins-mike-shanahan-knocked-to-turf-in-collision/1#.T7wAt7_jcgw. Retrieved 2012-05-23.
- ↑ Campbell, Rich (September 11, 2012). "Redskins - Saints Film Review: OFFENSE". WashingtonTimes.com. http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/redskins-watch/2012/sep/11/redskins-saints-film-review-offense/. Retrieved 2012-09-12.
- ↑ Whyno, Stephen (September 9, 2012). "Pierre Garcon’s impact felt from the start". WashingtonTimes.com. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/sep/9/pierre-garcons-impact-felt-from-the-start/. Retrieved 2012-09-12.
- ↑ El-Bashir, Tarik (October 25, 2012). "Garçon confirms diagnosis of plantar plate tear". CSNWashington.com. http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/gar%C3%A7-confirms-diagnosis-plantar-plate-tear. Retrieved 2012-10-25.
- ↑ Whyno, Stephen (October 25, 2012). "Redskins’ Pierre Garcon discusses foot injury, wants to avoid surgery". WashingtonTimes.com. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/oct/25/redskins-pierre-garcon-foot-injury-plantar-plate/. Retrieved 2012-10-25.
- ↑ Tinsman, Brian (November 22, 2012). "Redskins Score Texas-Sized Win, 38-31". Redskins.com. http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Redskins-Score-Texas-Sized-Win-38-31/9c63b942-5134-4b19-86b4-2703d32e217e. Retrieved 2012-11-22.