| File:File:Pete Shinnick .jpg |
Shinnick during the 2017 season
|Born||May 15, 1965|
|Head coaching record|
|Tournaments||4–5 (NAIA playoffs)|
4–3 (NCAA D-II playoffs)
Pete Shinnick (born May 15, 1965) is an American football coach and former player. He is the head football coach at the University of West Florida in Pensacola, Florida. The football team began play in 2016. 2017 was a big year for Shinnick, as he led the University of West Florida Agronauts to the NCCA Division II playoffs, making them the fastest team to do so (two years). He broke the record he used to hold at the University of North Carolina at Pembroke, that being three years. Shinnick also won the 2017 AFCA Region 2 Coach of the Year. He later won the 2017 AFCA Division II Coach of the Year. Shinnick previously served as the head football at Azusa Pacific University from 1999 and 2005 and at the University of North Carolina at Pembroke from the program's inception until 2014. After leading Azusa Pacific to an overall record of 53–22, Shinnick was hired as UNC Pembroke's first head coach on December 13, 2005. Over seven seasons at Pembroke, Shinnick compiled an overall record of 50–24.
Coaching career[edit | edit source]
Azusa Pacific[edit | edit source]
UNC Pembroke[edit | edit source]
West Florida[edit | edit source]
On January 31, 2014, the University of West Florida announced it had hired Shinnick as the head coach of its newly established football team, which began play in 2016. On November 12, 2017, the Argos had made the playoffs in only the second season, making them the fastest team in NCAA history to do so. They also went to the NCAA D-II National Championship game the same year, breaking but another record.
Head coaching record[edit | edit source]
|Azusa Pacific (NAIA independent) (1999–2005)|
|1999||Azusa Pacific||9–3||L NAIA Semifinal|
|2000||Azusa Pacific||6–4||L NAIA First Round|
|2003||Azusa Pacific||8–2||L NAIA First Round|
|2004||Azusa Pacific||11–3||L NAIA Semifinal|
|2005||Azusa Pacific||6–4||L NAIA First Round|
|UNC Pembroke (NCAA Division II independent) (2007–2013)|
|2009||UNC Pembroke||9–2||L NCAA Division II First Round|
|2013||UNC Pembroke||9–2||L NCAA Division II Second Round|
|West Florida Argonauts (Gulf South Conference) (2016–present)|
|2017||West Florida||11–4||5–3||4th||L NCAA Division II Championship|
|†Indicates BCS bowl, Bowl Alliance or Bowl Coalition game.|
References[edit | edit source]
- "UWF football earns historic playoff bid" (in en). http://www.pnj.com/videos/sports/college/university-west-florida/2017/11/12/uwf-football-earns-historic-playoff-bid/107642214/.
- "UWF's Shinnick named AFCA Region 2 Coach of the Year" (in en). Pensacola News Journal. http://www.pnj.com/story/sports/college/university-west-florida/2017/12/05/uwfs-shinnick-named-afca-region-2-coach-year/922983001/.
- "UWF's Shinnick wins AFCA Division II Coach of the Year" (in en). Pensacola News Journal. http://www.pnj.com/story/sports/2018/01/09/uwfs-shinnick-wins-afca-division-ii-coach-year/1010962001/.
- Pope, Tomas (December 14, 2005). "Braves hire Shinnick as coach". The Fayetteville Observer.
- "Football Azusa Pacific Year by Year" (pdf). Football Media Guide. Azusa Pacific University Athletics. May 22, 2009. http://www.apu.edu/athletics/data/football/yearbyyear.pdf. Retrieved October 22, 2010.
- Bigelo, Scott (December 15, 2005). "UNCP names Peter Shinnick head football coach". press releases. University of North Carolina-Pembroke athletics. http://www.uncp.edu/news/2005/peter_shinnick.htm. Retrieved October 22, 2010.
[edit | edit source]
Template:Azusa Pacific Cougars football coach navbox Template:West Florida Argonauts football coach navbox Template:Gulf South Conference football coach navbox Template:AFCA Division II Coach of the Year