|Born||July 25, 1940|
|Died||November 30, 2014 (aged 74)|
San Diego, California
|Alma mater||Western State College|
|Head coaching record|
College coaching careerEdit
Rodriguez broke into coaching as a graduate assistant at Arizona (1968–69) and later served as defensive coordinator at Western Illinois (1970–73), Florida State (1974–75), Iowa State (1976–78) and Northern Iowa (1986). He served as head coach at Western Illinois from 1979–82.
Professional coaching careerEdit
Rodriguez served as defensive line coach for the Michigan Panthers of the United States Football League from 1983-84. He was part of the USFL's first championship team, helping the Panthers to the title in 1983. He spent the 1985 season as defensive line coach with the Denver Gold.
Rodriguez entered the National Football League as the Los Angeles Raiders special teams coach (1988–89). He served in a similar capacity with the Phoenix Cardinals (1990–93), Washington Redskins (1994–97), Seattle Seahawks (1998–2003) and, most recently, the Jacksonville Jaguars (2004–2006).
Involvement with USCEdit
In July, 2010 the Los Angeles Times reported that he was the coach hired by Pete Carroll as a special consultant for USC's kickers during the 2008 football season. The use of additional coach was one of the items that the NCAA found to be a Major Violation and subjected USC to the "Loss of institutional control" finding. Carroll had defended the hiring as being done with the knowledge of the USC compliance staff however the compliance staff reported that this was not the case.
Head coaching recordEdit
|Western Illinois Leathernecks (Association of Mid-Continent Universities) (1979–1982)|
|†Indicates BCS bowl, Bowl Alliance or Bowl Coalition game.|
- ↑ Pierson, Don, Chicago Tribune, "FROM RAILROAD BOXCAR TO NFL SIDELINE, SEATTLE COACH SPECIAL"(Sep 17, 1999, Sports Section, Page 5); "Times have changed, but there are not too many Mexican-American coaches anywhere in the.."
- ↑ Associated Press (December 3, 2014). "Long-time coach Pete Rodriguez dies". foxsports.com. http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/long-time-coach-pete-rodriguez-dies-120314. Retrieved December 4, 2014.
- ↑ Pringle, Paul (July 14, 2010). "Carroll's rules violation could hurt USC". Los Angeles Times. http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-pete-carroll-20100714,0,7898776.story?track=rss.
- ↑ http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2025159681_nfl04xml.html
- ↑ http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/03/long-time-nfl-special-teams-coach-pete-rodriguez-dies-at-age-75/