Riley at Redskins training camp in 2012.
|No. 56 Washington Redskins|
|Date of birth:May 3, 1988|
|Place of birth: Atlanta, Georgia|
|High School: Stone Mountain (GA) Stephenson|
|Height: 6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)||Weight: 238 lb (108 kg)|
|College: Louisiana State|
|NFL Draft: 2010 / Round: 4 / Pick: 103|
|Debuted in 2010 for the Washington Redskins|
|* Washington Redskins ( 2010–present)|
|Roster status: Active|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2012|
|Stats at NFL.com|
Perry Alphonso Riley (born May 3, 1988) is an American football linebacker for the Washington Redskins of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Redskins in the fourth round of the 2010 NFL Draft. He played college football at Louisiana State University (LSU).
Riley attended Stephenson High School in Stone Mountain, Georgia, where he, besides occasionally lining up at running back and strong safety, was part of a highly talented linebacker corps with teammate Kelvin Sheppard, Marcus Ball and Jermaine Cunningham. In his junior year, he registered 96 tackles, eight sacks and five forced fumbles. As a senior, Riley recorded 131 tackles, four interceptions, two sacks, five tackles for loss and one defensive touchdown.
In his true freshman year at LSU, Riley saw action in seven games and was credited with four tackles. As a sophomore, he played all 14 season games for the Tigers and tallied 24 tackles, including 1.5 for losses and a half quarterback sack. Riley recorded two solo tackles in the 2008 BCS National Championship Game versus Ohio State.
A starter in his junior year for the Tigers, Riley ranked among the team leaders in total tackles with 60, including 7.0 for losses and 1.5 sacks. He was also credited with an interception, three pass breakups and three quarterback hurries. Riley was named Defensive MVP of the 2008 Chick-fil-A Bowl and a finalist for the 2008 Butkus Award.
Riley was selected by the Washington Redskins in the fourth round (103rd overall) of the 2010 NFL Draft. He was signed to a contract on June 18, 2010. He was inactive most of the 2010 season. He played very well during times that he was on the field, but also made costly penalties, most notably he committed a 15-yard block in the back penalty against the Minnesota Vikings, nullifying Brandon Banks' punt return touchdown that would have won the game.
In the 2011 season, Riley would have his first career start in Week 10 against the Miami Dolphins. He would continue being the starting right inside linebacker in place of Rocky McIntosh. In Week 16 against the Minnesota Vikings, Riley recorded his first career sack. Riley finished the season playing all 16 games, starting eight of them, and recording 68 combined tackles, one sack, and four pass breakups.
Riley maintained his starting position at the right inside linebacker position by the start of the 2012 season. In Week 2 against the St. Louis Rams, he recorded his first career forced fumble from Danny Amendola, which was recovered by Josh Wilson and returned 30 yards for a touchdown.
- "Rivals.com Outside linebackers 2006". January 30, 2006. http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1157
- "NFL Draft - 2010 OLB Draft Prospects". CBSSports.com. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/TSX/2010_OLB
- Reid, Jason (June 18, 2010). "Riley and Redskins agree to terms". Washington Post. http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/riley-and-redskins-agree-to-te.html. Retrieved 2010-06-18.
- Reid, Jason (November 29, 2010). "Mike Shanahan stands behind Perry Riley". WashingtonPost.com. http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/brandon-banks/mike-shanahan-stands-behind-pe.html. Retrieved 2012-05-23.
- "Perry Riley to start for Rocky McIntosh". WashingtonPost.com. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/perry-riley-to-start-for-rocky-mcintosh/2011/11/13/gIQAfXx6HN_blog.html. Retrieved 2011-11-13.
- Brian Tinsman (March 9, 2012). "Roster Review: Inside Linebackers". Redskins.com. http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Roster-Review-Inside-Linebackers/3b0d8cf1-9795-42eb-bc2f-75d4aaa43067. Retrieved 2012-03-22.
- Tinsman, Brian (September 17, 2012). "Redskins-Rams: Week 2 Game Notes". Redskins.com. http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Redskins-Rams-Week-2-Game-Notes/26f8e81c-0b8f-4ce8-bea6-5bfc65b8fa07. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- Tinsman, Brian (September 17, 2012). "Redskins Fall Despite Late Surge, 28-31". Redskins.com. http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Redskins-Fall-Despite-Late-Surge-28-31/fb5af3de-d0ff-4905-8b7e-4422f106b2be. Retrieved 2012-09-17.