|University||University of California, Berkeley|
- Oski is also another name for the god Odin from Norse mythology (see List of names of Odin) and was Argentine caricaturist Oscar Conti's nickname, as well.
Oski or Oski the Bear (named after the "Oski Wow-Wow" yell) is the official mascot of the University of California, Berkeley and has been a tradition at the school since making his debut on September 27, 1941 during the football season-opener against St. Mary's College. Up until 1941, live bears were used as mascots. Nowadays, the bear's activities are overseen by the Oski Committee, which also appoints a new Oski whenever a replacement is required. Oski chugs beer-like liquids through a hole in his right eye, stands at 5-foot-7-inches, and wears a size 15 shoe.
Oski's identity is protected by the Committee and wearers of the suit generally do not disclose their having worn the suit. There may be multiple members of the Committee who wear the suit depending on their schedules.
Oski as presented in Cal fight songsEdit
Oski is mentioned by name in several California fight songs. In the songs, the name "Oski" is used interchangeably with the title "Golden Bear". Several of the songs give an impression of Oski being a powerful guardian-being dwelling in the heavens, as well as sallying forth from a lair on Earth. Oski is identified as the astronomical constellation Ursa Major (the Great Bear). Although Oski has his benign side ("patient" and "silent"), he is more often presented as growling, fighting, rumbling, grumbling, thundering, and shaking the ground. He is described as sturdy and mighty. It is said of Oski that he "wears a Paderewski hair", referring to Oski's shaggy hair.
Oski is described as "Our totem", and Cal's teams (or perhaps Cal students in general) are described as sons of the Golden Bear. In one song, Oski is referred to as "He" with a capital "H", as one refers to the Deity. One song appears to attribute to Oski the ability to fly through the air.
These characteristics are seen in the following lyrics of Cal fight songs:
Our sturdy Golden Bear Is watching from the skies; Looks down upon our colors fair, And guards us from his lair.
Big "C" --
Golden Bear is ever watching; Day by day he prowls
When our Oski rips through the air. Like our friend Mister Jonah, Stanford's team will be found, In the tummy of the Golden Bear.
And when the game's done, California's Golden Bear has carried the day.
All our rival's hopes are doomed to die, When our Golden Bear looks down on high; Hear our Oski's mighty thunder,
Brawn and brain are all in vain Unless our spirit's there In ev'ry son of the Golden Bear.
Let the echoes ring our Oski
Golden Bear --
Oh, have you seen the heavens blue, heavens blue, When just sev'n stars are shining through, shining through Right overhead a jovial crew? They're joining hands to make the Bear
And oh, that Bear's a glorious sight, glorious sight, A-circling 'round the pole all night, pole all night; And once you've seen him, you're all right, You've seen our California Bear.
He has a very patient air, patient air, He wears a Paderewski hair, 'rewski hair, He's the center rush of the heavens I swear, Our silent, sturdy Golden Bear.
A Californian through and through, Our totem, He, the Golden Bear.
Rumbling, grumbling, loud upon the air, Sounds the growling of the mighty Bear. Californians gather 'round his Lair, And march to Victory.
Marching along for California We stride beside the fighting Bear.
Californians fight with the sturdy might of the growling Golden Bear. Our Oski sounds and shakes the ground As vict'ry fills the air.
- ↑ "California vs St. Mary's". The California Gridiron. 1941-09-27. Archived from the original on 2014-08-27. http://www.webcitation.org/6S9QNw6QC. Retrieved 2014-08-26. "September 27, 1941"
- ↑ "1941 Schedule and Results: College Football". Archived from the original on 2014-08-27. http://www.webcitation.org/6S9Qttn1s. Retrieved 2014-08-26. "Sep 27, 1941 Sat California 31 Saint Mary's (CA) 0"
- ↑ "Cal's School Mascot - Oski". 2001-09-26. Archived from the original on 2007-12-11. http://web.archive.org/web/20071211014642/http://www.oski.com/article.php?story=20041022211227881. Retrieved 2014-08-26.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Oski.|
- Oski.com includes many photos of Oski.
- Oski biography at Official Cal Athletic Site.
- The original Oski discusses the mascot's origin.
- Cal Songs from the Cal Marching Band website.