|Title||Offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach|
|Born||March 21, 1957|
Mount Vernon, Washington
Early life and playing career
After graduation, Mazzone started his coaching career as a graduate assistant at New Mexico under head coach Joe Morrison who had succeeded Mondt in 1980. Mazzone also spent one season (1981) at Boulder High School, coaching future University of Colorado greats Tom Gebhardt and Eric McCarty. In 1982, Mazzone received his first full-time position, coaching quarterbacks and receivers under Leon Fuller at Colorado State. After 5 years at CSU, Mazzone was hired away by Jim Wacker to serve as quarterbacks coach at Texas Christian. When Wacker left TCU for the head coaching position at the University of Minnesota in 1992, Mazzone followed Wacker to serve the same position with the Gophers.
In 1995, Mazzone was hired as offensive coordinator by Tommy Tuberville, who had just become head coach at Ole Miss. Tuberville left Ole Miss for Auburn in 1999, taking Mazzone with him. However, after the 2001 season Tuberville chose to replace Mazzone with Bobby Petrino.
When Erickson left the collegiate ranks to coach the San Francisco 49ers, Mazzone chose to remain in college football, becoming offensive coordinator under Chuck Amato at North Carolina State, where he coached Philip Rivers, who would be the fourth overall pick in the 2004 NFL Draft.
In January 2005, Mazzone returned to Ole Miss to serve as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach under head coach Ed Orgeron. He was fired as offensive coordinator at the end of the 2005 season but remained an employee at Ole Miss for contractual reasons.
In 2006, Mazzone took his first position in the NFL when new head coach Eric Mangini hired him as wide receivers coach for the New York Jets. Mangini was fired by the Jets following the 2008 season and Mazzone's contract with the Jets was allowed to expire.
In January 2009, Mazzone was under consideration by Randy Shannon for the vacant position as offensive coordinator for the Miami Hurricanes, and in February of that year was under consideration by Dave Wannstedt as offensive coordinator for the University of Pittsburgh. He was also being considered for the job coaching quarterbacks under Mangini with the Cleveland Browns. But, instead of going to coach for any college he decided to assume the duties of offensive coordinator for Panther Creek High School in Cary, North Carolina under Wayne Bragg.
- "Beavers Hire Noel Mazzone To Complete Football Staff". OSUBeavers.com. March 5, 2002. http://www.osubeavers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30800&ATCLID=207851337. Retrieved January 7, 2016.
- "N.C. State Hires Offensive Coordinator". WFMY-TV. April 9, 2003. http://archive.digtriad.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=11531. Retrieved January 7, 2016.
- "Amato loses assistant Mazzone to Ole Miss". Star-News Online. January 6, 2005. http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20050106/NEWS/201060317?p=1&tc=pg. Retrieved January 7, 2016.
- McCreary, Joedy (November 29, 2005). "Ole Miss fires offensive coordinator". The Tuscaloosa News. http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20051129/NEWS/511290355. Retrieved January 7, 2016.
- "Mangini mum on Pennington, names new staff". USA Today. February 20, 2006. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/jets/2006-02-20-mangini-pennington-staff_x.htm. Retrieved January 7, 2016.
- Paul Zeise, Redshirt Diaries: Has Dave Wannstedt found his man?, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Now, date=2009-02-13, accessdate=2009-02-16
- Kartje, Ryan (November 22, 2013). "UCLA's 'mad scientist' finds right formula". OC Register. http://www.ocregister.com/articles/mazzone-538515-bragg-year.html. Retrieved January 7, 2016.
- Melcalfe, Jeff (January 4, 2010). "ASU football names Noel Mazzone offensive coordinator". The Arizona Republic. http://archive.azcentral.com/sports/asu/articles/20100104asu-football-mazzone.html. Retrieved January 7, 2016.
- "Mora Adds Lou Spanos As UCLA Defensive Coordinator". CBS LA. January 17, 2012. http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/01/17/mora-adds-lou-spanos-as-ucla-defensive-coordinator/. Retrieved January 7, 2016.
- "Sumlin Hires Mazzone to Direct A&M Offense". Texas A&M Media Relations. January 8, 2016. http://www.12thman.com/news/2016/1/8/FB_0108163407.aspx.
- "Kevin Sumlin to retain Marcel Yates, add Noel Mazzone as offensive coordinator, per report". AZDesertSwarm.com. January 14, 2018. https://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/2018/1/14/16890910/arizona-football-kevin-sumlin-hire-retain-marcel-yates-mazzone-offensive-defensive-coordinator-staff.
Template:New Mexico Lobos quarterback navbox