|No. 9, 10, 12, 17|
|Date of birth:July 8, 1953|
|Place of birth: Bisbee, Arizona|
|NFL Draft: 1975 / Round: 8 / Pick: 200|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
|* Dallas Cowboys ( 1975)|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Stats at pro-football-reference.com|
Mitchell Kent Hoopes (born July 8, 1953) is a former American football punter in the National Football League for the Dallas Cowboys, San Diego Chargers, Houston Oilers, Detroit Lions and Philadelphia Eagles. He played college football at the University of Arizona.
In 1973, he ended up concentrating on punting and was among college football's leaders with a 43.9 average, second in school history at the time. The next year he averaged 41.8 yards, with a long of 59.
Hoopes was selected by the Dallas Cowboys in the eighth round (200th overall) of the 1975 NFL Draft, also known as the Dirty Dozen draft. That season Burton Lawless and him were the only rookies to earn starting jobs.
Facing 4th and 13th in the season opener against the Los Angeles Rams, he ran for a critical first down without informing head coach Tom Landry and helped the team achieve an 18–7 upset victory. He averaged 39.4 yards per punt and also completed one out of 3 passing attempts for 21 yards.
Playing in Super Bowl X with less than 12 minutes remaining in the fourth quarters, the Cowboys led 10-7 when Steelers backup running back Reggie Harrison broke through the middle of the offensive line and blocked a Hoopes' punt out of the end zone for a safety, cutting the lead to 10-9. The Steelers went on to win 21-17.
The next year with the arrival of Danny White who could play quarterback and punt, he was traded to the San Diego Chargers in exchange for an eight-round draft choice (#208-Al Cleveland) in the 1977 NFL draft.
San Diego Chargers
In 1976, Hoopes was released in mid season after averaging 38.8 yards per punt.
Saint Louis Cardinals
- "Rookies' Gamble Keys Ram Upset". https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1356&dat=19750925&id=5XhPAAAAIBAJ&sjid=lAUEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5606,4817885. Retrieved April 30, 2017.
- "Many Doubted Cowboys". https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=861&dat=19760110&id=SBRZAAAAIBAJ&sjid=YEYNAAAAIBAJ&pg=4863,1610751. Retrieved April 30, 2017.
- "Stram On The Carpet". https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1310&dat=19760804&id=bPBVAAAAIBAJ&sjid=R-EDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6758,973251. Retrieved April 30, 2017.
- "Blount Uses Horse Cure". https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1129&dat=19761122&id=aIBIAAAAIBAJ&sjid=T20DAAAAIBAJ&pg=2998,2383640. Retrieved April 30, 2017.
- "Transactions". https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1298&dat=19770910&id=5d9NAAAAIBAJ&sjid=CosDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3021,1429004. Retrieved April 30, 2017.
- "Lions sign Mitch Hoopes". https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1314&dat=19770911&id=F_VLAAAAIBAJ&sjid=1e0DAAAAIBAJ&pg=5925,4655672. Retrieved April 30, 2017.
- "Plunkett, Jury Waived". https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2519&dat=19780829&id=FFddAAAAIBAJ&sjid=xlsNAAAAIBAJ&pg=2914,3370449&hl=en. Retrieved April 30, 2017.