Gary Pinkel is the current head coach of the University of Missouri Tigers football team. He is the ninth person to fill the role. Since joining the Tigers in 2000, Pinkel has led the Tigers to a record of 87–58 (.600 as of Oct. 15, 2012), and eight post-season bowl appearances with a record of 4-4.
|Missouri Tigers (Big 12 Conference/Southeastern Conference) (2001–present)|
|2003||Missouri||8-5||4-4||3rd (North)||L Independence Bowl|
|2005||Missouri||7-5||4-4||T-2nd (North)||W Independence Bowl|
|2006||Missouri||8-5||4-4||T-2nd (North)||L Sun Bowl|
|2007||Missouri||12-2||7-1||T-1st (North)||W Cotton Bowl Classic||5||4|
|2008||Missouri||10-4||5-3||T-1st (North)||W Alamo Bowl||16||19|
|2009||Missouri||8-5||4-4||T-2nd (North)||L Texas Bowl|
|2010||Missouri||10-3||6-2||T-1st (North)||L Insight Bowl||14||14|
|2011||Missouri||7-5||4-4||5th||W Independence Bowl|
|Missouri:||87-58||46-46||** as of Oct. 15, 2012|
|National championship Conference title Conference division title|
|†Indicates BCS bowl, Bowl Alliance or Bowl Coalition game. #Rankings from final Coaches' Poll.|
The team was led by junior quarterback Chase Daniel, a Heisman Trophy candidate who finished fourth in voting behind Tim Tebow, Darren McFadden, and Colt Brennan. In the preseason, the Tigers were picked by some to win the Big 12 North, a feat they accomplished with a victory over the Kansas Jayhawks at Kansas City's Arrowhead Stadium on November 24. 2007 Missouri vs. Kansas football game. The game sealed Mizzou's first Big 12 North division title and earned them an inaugural trip to the Big 12 Championship Game against the Oklahoma Sooners on December 1.
Until the Big 12 Championship game, the Tigers were the only team in college football to have scored at least 30 points in every game.
The Tigers won over 9 games in a season for the first time since 1969, and were ranked #1 in the AP Poll for the first time since 1960. The Tigers also achieved their highest BCS ranking in history, at #1 after the Border Showdown.
Five Tiger starters were named to the Associated Press All-American teams. Senior Tight End Martin Rucker and Freshman Wide Receiver Jeremy Maclin (as an All-Purpose player) were named as first team selections, while Junior Quarterback Chase Daniel and Junior Safety William Moore were named to the second team. Senior Center Adam Spieker was a third team selection.
- Gary Pinkel
- Missouri Tigers football
- Big 12 Conference
- University of Missouri
- 2007 Missouri vs. Kansas football game
- ↑ Gary Pinkel was suspended from coaching the Nov. 19, 2011 win versus Texas Tech. The team finished 8-5 overall and 5-4 in the Big 12.
- ↑ "Chase the Heisman" web-site debuts Columbia-Missourian, 17 November 2007.
- ↑ Grillo, Ron. Heisman chase will continue from field to New York Rocky Mountain Telegram, 19 November 2007.
- ↑ Watson, Graham. As ballots go out, Daniel is on Heisman Trophy list St. Louis Post-Dispatch, 14 November 2007.
- ↑ NCAA football Heisman hopefuls
- ↑ Steele, Phil (2007). "Big 12 Conference". Phil Steele's 2007 College Football Preview 13: 80–81.
- ↑ "Not since 1960 has Missouri held down poll's No. 1 ranking". Associated Press. 2007-11-25. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3127118. Retrieved 2007-11-25.
- ↑ Five Tigers Named to AP All-America Teams :: Mizzou has two Consensus AA's for first time