Burris with San Diego State in 2009
|No. 56 Oakland Raiders|
|Date of birth:June 27, 1988|
|Place of birth: Orangevale, California|
|High School: Granite Bay (CA)|
|Height: 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)||Weight: 240 lb (109 kg)|
|College: San Diego State|
|NFL Draft: 2012 / Round: 4 / Pick: 129|
|Debuted in 2012 for the Oakland Raiders|
|Roster status: Active|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2012|
Miles James Burris (born June 27, 1988) is an American football linebacker for the Oakland Raiders of the NFL. He played college football at San Diego State and was selected in the fourth round of the 2012 NFL Draft by the Oakland Raiders. In his rookie season, Burris immediately became a regular part of the Raiders' defensive line, starting all but one game that season.
Early life and college careerEdit
Born in Orangevale, California, Burris graduated from Granite Bay High School of Granite Bay, California in 2007. At Granite Bay, he was twice named All-Metro League and was Granite Bay’s defensive player of the year following both his junior and senior seasons.
Burris was a two-time All-Mountain West Conference first-team selection at San Diego State and led the Aztecs in tackles as a senior, posting 78 stops, including 46 solo tackles, and 19.5 tackles for loss. Burris added eight sacks and three fumble recoveries that same season. He had 9.5 sacks as a junior, which ranked as the seventh-highest single-season total in program history. He also led the team with 80 tackles and was named the 2010 San Diego State Student-Athlete of the Year.
In the 2012 NFL Draft, the Oakland Raiders selected Burris in the fourth round as the 129th overall pick. As a rookie, Burris played all 16 games and started 15 and had 62 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 3 passes deflected, and one interception. On December 23, Burris intercepted Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton and returned the pick 7 yards after Phillip Wheeler deflected the pass. This interception ended Newton's streak of 176 passes without an interception.
- ↑ Poindexter, Bill (April 28, 2012). "Two more Granite Bay players areheaded to NFL". Roseville Press Tribune. http://www.thepresstribune.com/article/two-more-granite-bay-players-are-headed-nfl. Retrieved March 13, 2013.
- ↑ "Burris trying to break in". Napa Valley Register. http://napavalleyregister.com/sports/burris-trying-to-break-in/article_475d3298-e04f-11e1-9ab8-0019bb2963f4.html. Retrieved 2012-08-07.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "Miles Burris". NFL. http://www.nfl.com/player/milesburris/2533004/profile. Retrieved Marrch 13, 2013.
- ↑ "Miles Burris". San Diego State Aztecs. http://goaztecs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/081711aad.html. Retrieved March 13, 2013.
- ↑ Krasovic, Tom (December 28, 2012). "San Diego connection, Raiders: Miles Burris". San Diego Union-Tribune. http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/dec/28/san-diego-connection-raiders-miles-burris/. Retrieved March 13, 2013.