|Born||July 24, 1987|
Huber Heights, Ohio
|Accomplishments and honors|
* All-Big East (2007)
Mike Mickens (born July 24, 1987) is a former American football cornerback in the National Football League for the Dallas Cowboys, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Cincinnati Bengals. He played college football at the University of Cincinnati. He is currently the Cornerback's coach for the University of Cincinnati, his alma mater.
Mickens attended Wayne High School, where he helped his team to two league titles and a 24-9 record. He posted in his career 205 tackles, 10 interceptions, 4 blocked field goals and one kickoff returned for a touchdown. He received All-Greater Western Ohio Conference honors twice.
Mickens accepted a football scholarship from the University of Cincinnati. As a freshman, he earned the starter right cornerback position during the preseason practices and went on to become an impact player, registering 51 tackles (sixth on the team), 15 passes defensed (second in the nation) and one interception.
As a sophomore, he was moved to left cornerback, collecting 59 tackles (sixth on the team), 15 passes deflected (eighth in the nation), 3 interceptions, one quarterback pressure, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery.
He received All-American honors as a junior, after recording 53 tackles, 6 interceptions (second in school history) and 12 passes defensed. He combined with fellow cornerback DeAngelo Smith to register a total of 14 interceptions, the most by a cornerback duo in college football in 2007. He had 6 tackles and 2 interceptions, including one returned for a 45-yard touchdown against Southeast Missouri State University. He had 7 tackles, one interception and one fumble recovery against Marshall University.
Mickens elected to return to school for his senior season, but suffered a left knee injury during a practice on November 20, 2008. He started 11 games at left cornerback, but missed the last 3 regular season games. He returned to play in the 2009 Orange Bowl, although he struggled in the contest. He finished the year with 70 tackles (second on the team), 2 tackles for loss, 10 passes defensed and 4 interceptions (tied for the team lead). He had 14 tackles and 3 passes defensed against the University of Akron. He had 11 tackles and on pass defensed against West Virginia University.
He left as the school's career leader in interceptions (14) and interception return yards (296). He started 46 out of 47 games, while registering 233 tackles (8 for loss), 48 passes defensed, one sack, one forced fumble and 2 fumble recoveries.
Mickens was considered a possible first round talent, but ended up being selected in the seventh round (227th overall) of the 2009 NFL Draft by the Dallas Cowboys. He dropped because of concerns about the left knee injury he suffered in college, that caused him to run 4.53 at his Pro Day.
Tampa Bay BuccaneersEdit
In 2011, he was a defensive assistant at the University of Cincinnati. In 2012, he was a defensive assistant at Indiana State University. In 2013, he became the cornerbacks coach at the University of Idaho. In 2014, he moved on to Bowling Green State University to be the cornerbacks coach. In 2014, he was named the cornerbacks coach at Bowling Green.
- ↑ "Knee surgery sidelines Bearcats corner Mickens". http://www.espn.com/ncf/news/story?id=3726019. Retrieved February 19, 2017.
- ↑ "The Beast visits Cowboys rookie minicamp '09". http://www.espn.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/1859/the-beast-visits-cowboys-rookie-minicamp-09. Retrieved February 19, 2017.
- ↑ "NFL Draft profile". http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/mike-mickens?id=79609. Retrieved February 19, 2018.
- ↑ "Now introducing the Cowboys' practice squad". http://www.espn.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/2844/now-introducing-the-cowboys-practice-squad. Retrieved February 19, 2018.
- ↑ "Bucs sign CB Mickens off Cowboys practice squad". http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cowboys/post/_/id/4619160/bucs-sign-cb-mickens-off-cowboys-practice-squad. Retrieved February 19, 2018.
- ↑ "Transactions". https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/102989739/. Retrieved February 19, 2018.
- ↑ "Calgary Stampeders sign defensive backs Mickens, Ronnie and linebacker Anders". https://www.guelphmercury.com/news-story/2730512-calgary-stampeders-sign-defensive-backs-mickens-ronnie-and-linebacker-anders/. Retrieved February 19, 2018.
- ↑ "Cornerbacks coach Mike Mickens leaving for Bowling Green". https://www.thevandalnation.com/report-cornerbacks-coach-mike-mickens-leaving-for-bowling-green/. Retrieved February 19, 2017.
- ↑ Schmeltz, Thomas (December 28, 2017). "BGSU football assistant leaves for Kent State". sent-trib.com. https://www.sent-trib.com/sports/bgsu-football-assistant-leaves-for-kent-state/article_fcfb6a23-9113-5989-9056-c7e876791506.html. Retrieved January 10, 2018.
- ↑ "Former UC star Mickens among additions to Fickell's Bearcats football staff". cincinnati.com. January 24, 2018. https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/college/university-of-cincinnati/2018/01/24/former-uc-star-mickens-among-additions-fickells-bearcats-football-staff/1062953001/. Retrieved January 26, 2018.