|Title||Running backs coach|
|Born||February 7, 1972|
|Alma mater||Angelo State University|
|Head coaching record|
|Overall||79–25 (high school)|
|Accomplishments and honors|
Texas Class 5A Division II (2010)
National High School Coach of the Year Finalist (2012)
U.S. Army All-American Bowl Coach (2012)
Michael Troy Jinks (born February 7, 1972) is an American football coach. He currently serves as running backs coach at the University of Southern California. Jinks is the former head coach of the Bowling Green Falcons football team. Previously he was an assistant head coach and running backs coach for Texas Tech.
Jinks was born on February 7, 1972. He played quarterback for three years at Judson High School in Converse, Texas before graduating in 1990. After high school, Jinks played college football at the NCAA Division II level for Angelo State. He was their starting quarterback for two years, and graduated with a bachelor's degree in Kinesiology with a minor in Mathematics.
Jinks' coaching career began in 1995 when he was working as a waiter in a restaurant in San Angelo, Texas. He was serving a table full of coaches from Ellison High School and was offered a job as the quarterbacks coach there. Short on funds, Jinks received a loan from his former coach at Angelo State, Jerry Vandergriff, to earn his teacher certification and move to Killeen, Texas.
Jinks became the quarterbacks coach at his former alma mater Judson High School in 1998. Following that, he was the offensive coordinator at David Crockett High School, Galena Park High School, and Robert E. Lee High School. He accepted his first head coaching position at Burbank High School in San Antonio, Texas in 2005.
In 2005, Jinks became the head coach for Steele High School in Cibolo, Texas eight months before the school was initially opened. Jinks lead the new football program at Steele to a win in the 2010 Class 5A Division II Texas state championship. In 2011, Jinks' team made it to the finals of the Class 5A Division II state championship before losing to Spring Dekaney HS. In 2012, another powerhouse Steele team made it to the state semifinals, only to fall to eventual state champion Katy High School. Following the conclusion of the 2012 season, Jinks was named the head coach for the West-team of the 2012 U.S. Army All-American Bowl and was a finalist for the 2013 Xenith National High School Coach of the Year Award. Jinks left Steele with a win-loss record of 76–18. In his last three seasons there, Jinks compiled a record of 43–4.
On January 9, 2013, it was announced that Jinks accepted the position of running backs coach for Texas Tech under head coach Kliff Kingsbury. In January 2015, Jinks was promoted to associate head coach in addition to his running back coaching duties with the announcement of the hiring of new defensive coordinator David Gibbs. In 2014, running back Deandre Washington became Texas Tech's first 1,000 yard rusher since 1998 and earned All-Big 12 Second Team honors. Washington led the Big 12 Conference in rushing yards and earned an All-Big 12 Conference 1st Team selection in 2015.
Jinks was named head coach at Bowling Green on December 8, 2015.
On October 14, 2018, Jinks was fired after 2½ seasons at Bowling Green.
Head coaching recordEdit
|Bowling Green Falcons (Mid-American Conference) (2016–2018)|
|2016||Bowling Green||4–8||3–5||T–3rd (East)|
|2017||Bowling Green||2–10||2–6||5th (East)|
|†Indicates BCS bowl, Bowl Alliance or Bowl Coalition game.|
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Chan, Lorne (January 8, 2012). "Jinks weighing move to Judson". San Antonio Express-News. http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/high_school/article/Jinks-weighing-move-to-Judson-2449766.php. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Hurtik, Blake (January 9, 2013). "Steele's Jinks to coach Tech running backs". San Antonio Express-News. http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/college_sports/college_football/article/Steele-s-Jinks-to-coach-Tech-running-backs-4181468.php. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- ↑ Flores, David (January 12, 2012). "Still a Knight: Jinks withdraws from search for Judson coach". San Antonio Express-News. Archived from the original on 14 January 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20130114030750/http://www.kens5.com/community/blogs/featured-blogs/Steeles-Jinks-withdraws-name-from-consideration-for-Judson-football-job-137207293.html. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Lee, Mike. "Former ASU QB Jinks making his mark as high school coach". Angelo State University. Archived from the original on 13 January 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20130113221232/http://www.gosanangelo.com/news/2008/oct/16/former-asu-qb-jinks-making-his-mark-as-high/. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- ↑ Doelle, Chris (April 18, 2012). "2012 THSCA All-Star Football Classic Rosters Announced". Lone Star Gridiron. http://lonestargridiron.com/2012/04/18/2012-thsca-all-star-football-classic-rosters-announced/.
- ↑ Wixon, Matt (December 5, 2012). "DeSoto’s Claude Mathis a finalist for National Coach of the Year". The Dallas Morning News. Archived from the original on 8 December 2012. https://web.archive.org/web/20121208034138/http://highschoolsportsblog.dallasnews.com/2012/12/desotos-claude-mathis-a-finalist-for-national-coach-of-the-year.html/. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- ↑ Flores, David. "Malcolm Brown eager to get UT back on track". KVUE. Archived from the original on 31 December 2012. https://web.archive.org/web/20121231213607/http://www.kvue.com/news/Malcolm-Brown-eager-to-get-UT-back-on-track-185167531.html. Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- ↑ "Three Red Raiders Named to All-Big 12 Teams". Texas Tech University. http://www.texastech.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121014aab.html. Retrieved 19 December 2014.
- ↑ http://redraiders.com/filed-online/2015-12-08/bowling-green-hires-texas-tech-assistant-mike-jinks-be-head-coach#.VmeLF_mDGkp
- ↑ Sallee, Barrett (October 14, 2018). "Bowling Green fires coach Mike Jinks after 1-6 start to the season, Carl Pelini takes over as interim". cbssports.com. https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/bowling-green-fires-coach-mike-jinks-after-1-6-start-to-the-season-carl-pelini-takes-over-as-interim/. Retrieved October 14, 2018.