Bennett in the 2012 NFL season.
|No. 72 Seattle Seahawks|
|Date of birth:November 13, 1985|
|Place of birth: Avondale, Louisiana|
|High School: Houston (TX) Alief Taylor|
|Height: 6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)||Weight: 274 lb (124 kg)|
|College: Texas A&M|
|Undrafted in 2009|
|Debuted in 2009 for the Seattle Seahawks|
|Roster status: Active|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2012|
|Stats at NFL.com|
Michael Bennett, Jr. (born November 13, 1985) is an American football defensive tackle for the Seattle Seahawks of the National Football League. He was signed by the Seahawks as an undrafted free agent in 2009. He played college football at Texas A&M.
Bennett earned first-team All-District honors as a defensive lineman as a senior at Alief Taylor High School in Houston, Texas, after compiling 110 tackles and four quarterback sacks. He earned honorable mention All-District honors as a junior.
In 2008, Bennett played in 11 games and made 42 tackles with 12.5 for losses and 2.5 sacks. In 2007, he was selected to the honorable mention All-Big 12 team at defensive end after registered 43 tackles including six tackles for a loss of yardage. In 2006 he the team's top tackler among defenders that did not start a game—he posted 27 tackles, including two sacks and 6 tackles for loss, while seeing action in every game. He also forced a pair of fumbles and batted down a pass. In 2005, as a freshman, he made 27 tackles, including 3.5 quarterback sacks, while seeing action in all 11 games (4 starts).
At the NFL combine Bennett measured 6-3½ and 274 pounds and did 24 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press, had a 31" vertical jump and a 9'2" broad jump. He ran a 5.00 forty-yard dash with a 10-yard split of 1.62 and a 20-yard split of 2.84.
Bennett was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Seattle Seahawks on April 27, 2009. An NFL Draft analyst noted that Bennett was not drafted probably due to his inconsistent performance in college. The team initially believed he could serve at left defensive end. After working with coaches during training camp, he was moved to the inside as a pass-rushing tackle. During the preseason, he compiled nine tackles, two sacks, five QB hurries, a tipped pass and a fumble recovery. He made the final roster by the end of the preseason.
Tampa Bay BuccaneersEdit
Bennett was claimed off waivers by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on October 12, 2009. Tampa Bay switched him back to defensive tackle, and he became a key part of the defense filling in for the injured Gerald McCoy.
Second stint with SeahawksEdit
- ↑ Johns, Greg (August 29, 2009). "A Seahawks sleeper: Rookie Bennett making his mark". Seattle Post-Intelligencer. http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlesports/archives/177771.asp.
- ↑ "Seahawks rookie tackles new role". http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/story/864574.html?source=rss.
- ↑ O'Neil, Danny (September 2, 2009). "Undrafted Michael Bennett showing size isn't everything on Seahawks' defensive line". The Seattle Times. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawks/2009787055_hawks02.html.
- ↑ O'Neil, Danny (September 2, 2009). "Michael Bennett's move inside says something about Seattle's ends". The Seattle Times. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawksblog/2009793767_michael_bennett.html.
- ↑ "Monday Morning QB". http://blog.seahawks.com/2009/09/07/monday-morning-qb-3/.
- ↑ "Seahawks final 53-man roster". http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2009/09/05/seahawks-final-53-man-roster/.
- ↑ "Poster players for perseverance". http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/article-1/Poster-players-for-perseverance/a74c7264-9e7d-42b6-aa1c-c4b50b95e751.
- ↑ "Seahawks add OT Williams, release DL Bennett". http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2009/10/10/seahawks-add-ot-williams-release-dl-bennett/.
- ↑ MICHAEL BENNETT SIGNING IS OFFICIAL