Revision as of 01:12, 3 September 2019
Overton with the Colts in 2016
|Date of birth:July 6, 1985|
|Place of birth: San Leandro, California|
|College: Western Washington|
|Undrafted in 2007|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
|* Seattle Seahawks ( 2007)*|
|Career highlights and awards|
|* Pro Bowl (2013)|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
Matt Overton (born July 6, 1985) is an American football long snapper who is currently a free agent. He played college football at Western Washington and was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Seattle Seahawks in 2007. Overton has also played for the Indianapolis Colts, with whom he made the Pro Bowl in 2013.
In between stints with the Seahawks, Overton played for the Florida Tuskers of the United Football League in 2009. After his release from the Seahawks in 2010, he rejoined the UFL but as a member of the Omaha Nighthawks. In 2010, he was named to the UFL's top-10 players list, earning him the recognition as the league's top long snapper. Overton was protected by the Nighthawks for the 2011 season.
Overton attended Tracy High School in Tracy, California where he was a two-way starter for four years for the Bulldogs football team. He earned Lineman of the Year, player of the month, athlete of the month awards, and 2002 SJAA honorable mention honors.
Overton played college football at Western Washington where he was a team captain and two-year starter at defensive end and long snapper. As the starting defensive end, he recorded over 40 tackles, 5 sacks, 7.5 tackles for loss, 1 interception, 1 forced fumble and 7 pass break-ups. He also attended Diablo Valley College from 2003-2004 before transferring to Western Washington. While at Diablo Valley College, he was named team co-captain and special teams MVP.
Overton played for the Tri-Cities Fever of the af2 in 2008. He played for the Florida Tuskers of the United Football League in 2009 and helped them to an undefeated season and appeared in the first UFL championship. He was re-signed by the Seattle Seahawks on February 10, 2010. After being released by the Seahawks during training camp, he signed with the Omaha Nighthawks of the UFL for his second season. Overton was named to the UFL top-10 players list in 2010.
On April 3, 2012, Overton signed with the Indianapolis Colts. Used primarily as a long snapper, he was named to the Pro Bowl in 2013. On March 3, 2015, Overton signed a four-year extension with the Colts. The Colts released him on May 1, 2017.
Overton was signed by the Jacksonville Jaguars on August 3, 2017, after Carson Tinker suffered a torn ACL. On November 14, 2017, following the team's Week 10 win over the Los Angeles Chargers, Overton was placed on injured reserve with a dislocated shoulder.
On October 11, 2018, Overton was re-signed by the Jaguars after Carson Tinker suffered another knee injury.
Overton runs his own youth charity foundation called Pros 2 Youth and owns and operates a small business with his former Nighthawks teammates Maurice Clarett and Chad Lucas called Led By Pros. Led By Pros is located in Omaha, Nebraska and offers a youth football academy and helps young athletes to succeed in life and in sport.
In April 2019, Overton got engaged to Breanna Fonner, a former Indianapolis Colts cheerleader.
- Rosenthal, Gregg (April 29, 2010). "Seahawks bring back Matt Overton". Pro Football Talk. NBC Sports. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/29/seahawks-bring-back-matt-overton/.
- Bowen, Kevin (January 15, 2014). "Matt Overton Headed to the Pro Bowl". Colts.com. https://www.colts.com/news/matt-overton-headed-to-the-pro-bowl-12440566. Retrieved January 15, 2014.
- Bowen, Kevin (March 3, 2015). "Colts, Matt Overton Agree To Contract Extension". colts.com. https://web.archive.org/web/20171125222748/http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Colts-Matt-Overton-Agree-To-Contract-Extension/cf9795c2-2cef-444a-9f3e-a9648fa349db. Retrieved March 4, 2015.
- VanTryon, Matthew (May 1, 2017). "Colts release long snapper Matt Overton". Indystar. http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2017/05/01/colts-release-long-snapper-matt-overton/101148420/. Retrieved May 1, 2017.
- "Indianapolis Colts Make Roster Moves". May 1, 2017. http://blogs.colts.com/2017/05/01/indianapolis-colts-make-roster-moves-183/. Retrieved May 1, 2017.
- "Jaguars Make Roster Moves". August 3, 2017. https://web.archive.org/web/20170806121340/http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-JaguarsNews/Jaguars-Make-Roster-Moves/8c9716e2-a526-4f34-b603-71f5c2395961.
- "Jaguars sign long snapper Colin Holba to active roster". November 14, 2017. https://www.jaguars.com/news/jaguars-sign-long-snapper-colin-holba-to-active-roster-19767260.
- "Jaguars Sign Long Snapper Matt Overton". October 12, 2018. https://www.jaguars.com/news/jaguars-sign-long-snapper-matt-overton.
- Oehser, John (March 7, 2019). "Jaguars re-sign LS Overton". https://www.jaguars.com/news/jaguars-re-sign-ls-overton.
- Oehser, John (September 1, 2019). "Roster moves: Jaguars make four waiver claims". https://www.jaguars.com/news/roster-moves-jaguars-make-four-waiver-claims.
- "Former Colts player Matt Overton engaged to former Colts cheerleader Breanna Fonner" (in en). https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2019/06/26/former-colts-player-matt-overton-engaged-former-colts-cheerleader/1568908001/.