LaCosse during the 2017 NFL season
|Date of birth:September 21, 1992|
|Place of birth: Naperville, Illinois|
|Undrafted in 2015|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
|* New York Giants ( 2015)*|
|Roster status: Active|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
|Stats at NFL.com|
Matthew Robert LaCosse (born September 21, 1992) is an American football tight end for the New England Patriots of the National Football League (NFL). He is from Naperville, Illinois and attended Naperville North High School. He then went on to the University of Illinois, where he played football for four years.
High school career Edit
At Naperville North High School, LaCosse played football, basketball, and baseball, earning eight varsity letters. As quarterback, he led Naperville North to the Class 8A quarterfinals in his senior year. In his senior season, he recorded 1,218 rushing yards, 14 rushing touchdowns, 919 passing yards, and five passing touchdowns He was named honorable mention All-State by the Chicago Tribune and was rated as a three-star recruit by Rivals.com. He initially gave an oral commitment to the University of Minnesota, but after their coach, Tim Brewster, was fired, LaCosse reconsidered and eventually chose Illinois.
College career Edit
As a true freshman in 2011, LaCosse played in 10 games for the Illini. He made one start that year. His debut came against South Dakota State. He caught his first career pass for 11 yards in a game at Minnesota.
As a sophomore in 2012, LaCosse played in all 12 games at tight end and got playing time on special teams. He recorded three catches for 32 yards. One of his receptions was for a successful two-point conversion against Ohio State.
LaCosse played in all 12 games and started nine of those games as the tight end in 2013. As a junior, he totaled 20 receptions for 237 yards. He ranked third on the team with three touchdown receptions. His season was highlighted by his career-high five receptions at Indiana. He also recorded three catches for 68 yards and two touchdowns against Miami (Ohio). He caught a two-point conversion pass against Southern Illinois.
During his senior year at Illinois in 2014, he recorded 14 receptions for a total of 117 yards and three touchdowns. At the Illinois Pro Day, LaCosse ran his 40-yard dash in 4.64 seconds, and got 20 bench-press reps of 225 pounds.
Professional career Edit
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 5⅞ in||257 lb||4.64 s||1.60 s||2.72 s||4.57 s||7.30 s||30 in||9 ft 8 in||20 reps|
New York GiantsEdit
Throughout training camp, LaCosse competed for a roster spot as the third tight end on the depth chart against Adrien Robinson, Jerome Cunningham, and Will Tye. On July 31, 2015, LaCosse injured his hamstring during the Giants’ first training camp practice. On August 1, 2015, the New York Giants officially waived/injured LaCosse. After clearing waivers, LaCosse was placed on injured reserve. On August 4, 2015, the New York Giants released LaCosse from injured reserve after reaching an injury settlement.
New York JetsEdit
New York Giants (second stint)Edit
On November 3, 2015, the New York Giants signed LaCosse to their practice squad after he performed well at a tryout and earned the job over Adrien Robinson. LaCosse was signed to provide depth after Daniel Fells was placed on injured reserve and Larry Donnell sustained a neck injury. On December 25, 2015, the New York Giants promoted LaCosse to the 53-man roster. Head coach Tom Coughlin named LaCosse the third tight end on the depth chart, behind Will Tye and Jerome Cunningham. On December 27, 2015, LaCosse made his professional regular season debut and caught three passes for 22-yards during a 49-17 loss at the Minnesota Vikings in Week 16. He finished his rookie season in 2015 with three receptions for 22 receiving yards in two games and zero starts.
LaCosse entered training camp as a candidate to earn the job as the starting tight end. He competed against Larry Donnell and Will Tye for the job as the starter. On August 20, 2016, LaCosse injured his knee during a 21-0 loss at the Buffalo Bills during their second preseason game. On August 29, 2016, the New York Giants waived/injured LaCosse. After clearing waivers, he was placed on injured reserve.
On February 14, 2017, Lacosse signed a one-year deal with the Giants as an exclusive rights free agent. Throughout training camp, LaCosse competed against Will Tye, Jerell Adams, and Rhett Ellison to be the second tight end on the Giants’ depth chart. Head coach Ben McAdoo named LaCosse the fourth tight end on the Giants’ depth chart to begin the regular season, behind Rhett Ellison, Evan Engram, and Jerell Adams.
LaCosse was inactive for the first five games (Weeks 1-5) as a healthy scratch. On October 22, 2017, LaCosse earned his first career start during a 24-7 loss to the Seattle Seahawks in Week 7. On November 11, 2017, the New York Giants released LaCosse, but re-signed him to their practice squad the next day.
During training camp, LaCosse competed against Austin Traylor, Jeff Heuerman, and Troy Fumagalli for the job as the primary backup tight end. Head coach Vance Joseph named LaCosse the third tight end on the depth chart to begin the regular season, behind Jeff Heuerman and Jake Butt. LaCosse became the primary backup tight end after Jake Butt tore his ACL on September 27, 2018. In Week 8, LaCosse caught a season-high four passes for 29-yards during a 30–23 loss at the Kansas City Chiefs. On November 18, 2018, LaCosse earned his first career start and had a nine-yard reception as the Broncos defeated the Los Angeles Chargers 23–22 in Week 11. On November 25, 2018, LaCosse made three receptions for 34-yards and scored his first career touchdown during a 24–17 victory against the Pittsburgh Steelers in Week 12. LaCosse caught his first career touchdown reception on a ten-yard pass by Broncos’ quarterback Case Keenum during the second quarter.
LaCosse did not receive a contract tender from the Broncos after the 2018 season, allowing him to become an unrestricted free agent.
New England Patriots Edit
- ↑ "Football recruiting | Naperville North's Matt LaCosse picks Illinois". http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-12-13/sports/ct-spt-1214-prep-foot-lacosse-illinois_1_coach-brewster-north-coach-sean-drendel-three-star-prospect. Retrieved December 5, 2015.
- ↑ "Illinois Athletics". http://www.fightingillini.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2267. Retrieved December 5, 2015.
- ↑ "Matt LaCosse - Unsigned Free Agent - 2015 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com". http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/10980/matt-lacosse. Retrieved December 5, 2015.
- ↑ "Spotrac.com: Matt LaCosse contract". https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/matt-lacosse-17262/.
- ↑ Valentine, Ed (May 29, 2015). "Giants 90-man roster breakdown: Don't forget about TE Jerome Cunningham". https://www.bigblueview.com/2015/5/29/8656807/ny-giants-te-jerome-cunningham-profile-training-camp-matt-lacosse-will-tye.
- ↑ "Report: Giants waive promising UDFA TE Matt LaCosse after hamstring injury". August 1, 2015. https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/matt-lacosse-new-york-giants-waived-tight-end-080115.
- ↑ "New York Giants: Transactions (2015)". https://www.giants.com/team/transactions/2015.
- ↑ Valentine, Ed (August 4, 2015). "Matt LaCosse, Giants reach injury settlement -- report". https://www.bigblueview.com/2015/8/4/9097507/matt-lacosse-giants-reach-injury-settlement-injured-reserve-free-agency.
- ↑ "Jets Sign Tight End LaCosse; D-Lineman Walls Waived-Injured". August 25, 2016. https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/08/25/jets-matt-lacosse-davon-walls/.
- ↑ "Giants bring back Matt LaCosse to practice squad to add much-needed depth at tight end". http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2015/11/giants_bring_back_matt_lacosse_to_practice_squad_t.html. Retrieved December 5, 2015.
- ↑ Eisen, Michael (December 25, 2015). "DE Brad Bars and TE Matt LaCosse added to active roster". https://www.giants.com/news/de-brad-bars-and-te-matt-lacosse-added-to-active-roster-16575305. Retrieved December 31, 2015.
- ↑ "NFL Player stats: Matt LaCosse (2015)". http://www.nfl.com/player/mattlacosse/2553667/gamelogs?season=2015.
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 "NFL Player stats: Matt LaCosse (career)". http://www.nfl.com/player/mattlacosse/2553667/careerstats.
- ↑ "Matt LaCosse went from sales job interviews to possible starting Giants TE". August 10, 2016. https://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2016/08/matt_lacosse_went_from_interviewing_for_sales_jobs.html.
- ↑ Benton, Dan (August 29, 2016). "Giants transactions: Nikita Whitlock, Matt LaCosse waived/injured". https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2016/08/29/new-york-giants-nikita-whitlock-matt-lacosse-waived-injured/.
- ↑ Eisen, Michael (August 30, 2016). "Giants announce first round of roster cuts". Archived from the original on August 23, 2017. https://web.archive.org/web/20170823071720/https://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Giants-announce-first-round-of-roster-cuts/ba500404-bd0c-4b38-8df3-904858c6d669.
- ↑ Raanan, Jordan (February 14, 2017). "Sources: Giants re-sign tight end Matt LaCosse". http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-giants/post/_/id/50855/sources-giants-re-sign-te-matt-lacosse.
- ↑ "Giants TE Matt LaCosse aiming to be more than an 'OTAs warrior'". August 8, 2016. https://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2017/08/giants_te_matt_lacosse_aiming_to_be_more_than_an_o.html.
- ↑ Stapleton, Art (September 9, 2017). "A look at the depth chart for the 2017 Giants". https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nfl/giants/2017/09/09/look-depth-chart-2017-giants/646540001/.
- ↑ "Giants waive Matt LaCosse, promote Shane Smith to 53-man roster". November 11, 2017. https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-giants/Bolt/Matt-LaCosse-is-waived-by-New-York-Giants-who-promote-Shane-Smith-110292987.
- ↑ "Broncos place OG Ron Leary on IR; sign TE Matt LaCosse to roster". December 12, 2017. https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/broncos-place-og-ron-leary-on-ir-sign-te-matt-lacosse-to-roster-19966564.
- ↑ Payne, Scotty (September 3, 2018). "Broncos announce their week one depth chart". https://www.milehighreport.com/2018/9/3/17815086/denver-broncos-depth-chart-2018.
- ↑ "NFL Player stats: Matt LaCosse (2018)". http://www.nfl.com/player/mattlacosse/2553667/gamelogs.
- ↑ "Pittsburgh Steelers at Denver Broncos - November 25th, 2018". https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201811250den.htm.
- ↑ CBS Staff (March 2, 2019). "Broncos' Matt LaCosse: Heading for free agency". https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/broncos-matt-lacosse-heading-for-free-agency/.
- ↑ Hart, Andy (March 14, 2019). "Reports: Patriots sign DL Mike Pennel, TE Matt LaCosse and WR Maurice Harris" (in en). https://www.patriots.com/news/reports-patriots-sign-dl-mike-pennel-te-matt-lacosse-and-wr-maurice-harris. Retrieved March 14, 2019.