At a game in Denver in January 2010.
|No. 7, 15, 17, 9|
|Date of birth:June 9, 1984|
|Place of birth: Concord, California|
|College: Idaho State|
|Undrafted in 2007|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
|* New England Patriots ( 2007– 2008)|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Stats at NFL.com|
|Comp. / Att.||217 / 384|
|Stats at ArenaFan.com|
Matthew Paul Gutierrez (born June 9, 1984) is a former American football quarterback. He was signed by the New England Patriots as an undrafted free agent in 2007. He played college football at Idaho State.
Gutierrez played high school football for perennial powerhouse De La Salle High School in Concord, California, where he never lost a game as a Spartan. He was teammates with former NFL running back Maurice Jones-Drew.
Gutierrez went on to play at the University of Michigan, where he was slated to be the starter in 2004 before he suffered a shoulder injury (a torn labrum) before the season opener during pregame warm-ups. Backup quarterback freshman Chad Henne played well during the games Gutierrez was unable to play and was thus awarded the starting job. Gutierrez then transferred to Idaho State University, where he started at quarterback in 2006.
New England Patriots
After going undrafted in the 2007 NFL Draft, Gutierrez was signed by the New England Patriots on May 8 as an undrafted free agent. Gutierrez played in his first career regular season game on September 9 against the New York Jets and completed his first regular-season pass for a 15-yard gain against the Miami Dolphins on December 23. He appeared in five games with the team as a rookie while being inactive for 11 others.
During the 2008 preseason, Gutierrez completed 29 out of 45 passes for 362 passing yards and two touchdowns with two interceptions. On August 30, Gutierrez was part of the final cuts as the Patriots cut down to the mandatory 53-man roster. He was re-signed to the team's practice squad on September 10, then promoted to the active roster on September 13 after a season-ending injury to starter Tom Brady. He was inactive for the remaining 14 games of the season.
Kansas City Chiefs
Gutierrez signed a reserve/future contract with the Chicago Bears in 2011. He was waived on August 8.
St. Louis Rams
Kansas City Command
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Matt Gutierrez.|
- Matt Gutierrez Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Webarchive/data' not found.
- Fitzgerald, Gary (August 10, 2011). "Redskins Add Another QB In Gutierrez". http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Redskins-Add-Another-QB-In-Gutierrez/80c3422c-6b23-49b7-bb22-e04dd2e090c8. Retrieved June 17, 2017.
- Rattlers Assigned Former New England Patriot
- Thomas, Jim (December 8, 2011). "Rams keep adding quarterbacks". St. Louis Post-Dispatch. http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-keep-adding-quarterbacks/article_4188af1a-4541-55fd-8dd9-30e701d2af57.html. Retrieved June 17, 2017.
- "Historical Team Transactions". arenafan.com. Archived from the original on March 14, 2015. https://web.archive.org/web/20150314200853/http://www.arenafan.com/teams/?page=transactions&type=old&team=21. Retrieved January 26, 2017.
Template:Kansas City Command starting quarterback navbox