|Assistant special teams coach|
|Date of birth:September 27, 1989|
|Place of birth: Tucson, Arizona|
|Undrafted in 2012|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
| As player:|
* St. Louis Rams ( 2012− 2014)
| As coach:|
* Los Angeles Rams (2018–present)
Assistant special teams coach
|Career highlights and awards|
Matthew Daniels (born September 27, 1989) is a former American football safety and current assistant special teams coach of the Los Angeles Rams. He was signed by the St. Louis Rams as an undrafted free agent in 2012. He played college football for Duke.
College career[edit | edit source]
Daniels played college football for the Duke University Blue Devils. In 2008, as a true freshman, he played in 10 games with one start and finished the year with 22 tackles, one INT and one fumble recovery. In 2009 the Sophomore safety was an Academic All-ACC selection and started all 12 games and finished third on the team and 18th in the ACC with 83 tackles and added 3.0 tackles for loss, 0.5 quarterback sacks, six pass breakups and three caused fumbles. In 2010, his junior season, Daniels was again an Academic All-ACC choice and started all 12 games and finished second on the team with 93 total tackles and added 6.0 tackles for loss, seven PBUs, three caused fumbles, two fumble recoveries and one INT. In his Senior Year, 2011, Daniels was a Second-team All-American and finished with 126 tackles. He graduated Duke as the school's all-time leader in several key defensive categories such as tackles, caused fumbles, and pass breakups.
Professional career[edit | edit source]
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|5 ft 11¾ in||212 lb||4.48 s||1.50 s||2.55 s||4.31 s||6.90 s||35½ in||10 ft 4 in||15 reps|
St. Louis Rams[edit | edit source]
In 2012, he was signed by the Rams as an undrafted free agent. He was released on August 26, 2014. He was signed to the Rams practice squad on September 1, 2014. He was released on September 3, 2014 to make room for Brad Smelley.
Jacksonville Jaguars[edit | edit source]
San Diego Chargers[edit | edit source]
Coaching career[edit | edit source]
On February 26, 2018, the Los Angeles Rams announced that they had added Daniels to their coaching staff, hiring him as assistant special teams coach. Daniels played with the Rams under current special teams coordinator John Fassel in the recent past.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jaguars Public Relations (October 27, 2014). "Jaguars sign safety Matt Daniels to practice squad". jaguars.com. http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-PressRelease/Jaguars-sign-safety-Matt-Daniels-to-practice-squad/44a6460b-0491-4d21-922c-04ed6c41d731. Retrieved December 2, 2014.
- "Jaguars waive injured safety Matt Daniels". http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story/sports/2015/09/01/jacksonville-jaguars-roster-move-matt-daniels-injury/71533050/. Retrieved December 29, 2015.
- "Chargers Sign DT Damion Square to Active Roster, Add Four to Practice Squad". http://www.chargers.com/news/2015/11/04/chargers-sign-dt-damion-square-active-roster-add-four-practice-squad. Retrieved December 29, 2015.
- "Eric Weddle 1 of 4 Chargers placed on IR". http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/dec/28/chargers-eric-weddle-injured-reserve/. Retrieved December 29, 2015.