| File:2017-0717-Big12MD-MattCampbell.jpg |
Campbell at 2017 Big 12 Media Days
|Annual salary||$3.5 million (2018–2019)|
|Born||November 29, 1979|
|Head coaching record|
|Accomplishments and honors|
2 MAC West Division (2014, 2015)
MAC Coach of the Year (2015)
2x Big 12 Coach of the Year (2017, 2018)
AP Big 12 Coach of the Year (2017)
Matthew Allen Campbell (born November 29, 1979) is an American football coach who is the current head coach at Iowa State. He was head coach at Toledo from 2011 to 2015. Prior to that, Campbell had been an assistant at Toledo, Bowling Green, and Mount Union. Campbell grew up in Ohio and briefly attended the University of Pittsburgh before transferring to Mount Union, where he played defensive line.
Campbell was born in Massillon, Ohio. Rick, his father, coached football at Jackson High School. Matt played football at rival Perry, which won three conference championships while he was on the team. Campbell initially attended the University of Pittsburgh on a scholarship in 1998, but transferred to the University of Mount Union after a year. At Mount Union Campbell played on the defensive line between 1999–2002. At Mount Union Campbell played for head coach Larry Kehres, whose teams won three Division III championships during Campbell's career. Campbell himself was twice named to the College Football All-America Team and named Ohio Athletic Conference Defensive Lineman of the Year.
After college, Campbell stayed within Ohio and took a job as a graduate assistant at Bowling Green State University from 2003–2004. While at Bowling Green Scott Pioli, then the director of player personnel for the New England Patriots, offered Campbell an interview for a job at the team, but Campbell declined. Campbell returned to Mount Union for 2005–2006 as offensive coordinator; Mount Union won the Division III championship both years. Campbell then went back to Bowling Green for two years, first as offensive line coach (2007) and then as offensive line coach/run game coordinator (2008). The University of Toledo hired him as the run game coordinator for the 2009 season. This move reunited him with head coach Tim Beckman, defensive coordinator at Bowling Green during Campbell's first stint there.
Toledo promoted Campbell to offensive coordinator in 2010. Toledo made Campbell the permanent head coach at the end of 2011 when Beckman departed for the University of Illinois. He was 32 years old and the youngest head coach in the Football Bowl Subdivision. Two weeks into the job, Toledo defeated Air Force in the Military Bowl. Reportedly Campbell passed on a chance to serve on Urban Meyer's staff at The Ohio State University. Campbell coached four full seasons at Toledo: 2012–2015, amassing a record of 35–15. The 2015 team peaked at No. 20 in the AP Poll, including a victory over Arkansas.
Iowa State University named Campbell its head coach on November 29, 2015, his 36th birthday, replacing the fired Paul Rhoads. Campbell signed a six-year, $22.5 million extension with the school on November 27, 2017. Campbell was named the Big 12 Coach of the Year twice. In his second year, Campbell led Iowa State to wins such as #3 Oklahoma and #4 TCU. Iowa State won their bowl game that year against the Memphis Tigers in the Liberty Bowl. During his third year at Iowa State, he led the Cyclones to an 8-5 record. In 2018, Matt Campbell was reportedly requested an interview for the New York Jets NFL team, however, he declined the interview.
Head coaching record
|Toledo Rockets (Mid-American Conference) (2011–2015)|
|2012||Toledo||9–4||6–2||T–2nd (West)||L Famous Idaho Potato|
|2014||Toledo||9–4||7–1||T–1st (West)||W GoDaddy|
|2015||Toledo||9–2||6–2||T–1st (West)||Boca Raton*|
|Toledo:||35–15||24–8||* Departed Toledo for Iowa State before bowl game|
|Iowa State Cyclones (Big 12 Conference) (2016–present)|
|2017||Iowa State||8–5||5–4||T–4th||W Liberty|
|2018||Iowa State||8–5||6–3||T–3rd||L Alamo|
|National championship Conference title Conference division title|
|†Indicates BCS bowl, Bowl Alliance or Bowl Coalition game. #Rankings from final Coaches' Poll. |
°Rankings from final AP Poll.
Assistant coaches under Matt Campbell who became NCAA head coaches:
- Chatmon, Brandon (November 29, 2015). "Five things to know about new Iowa State coach Matt Campbell". ESPN.com. http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/107229/five-things-to-know-about-new-iowa-state-coach-matt-campbell. Retrieved November 29, 2015.
- Russo, Ralph D. (November 2, 2015). "Toledo's Campbell rockets up coaching ranks". Associated Press. http://bigstory.ap.org/article/9aa0b9be6b554f679a2e638a2d2c1bd3/toledos-campbell-rockets-coaching-ranks. Retrieved November 29, 2015.
- Rittenberg, Adam (October 27, 2015). "Campbell finds ambition in building something special". ESPN.com. http://espn.go.com/ncf/story/_/id/13984971/toledo-rockets-coach-matt-campbell-worried-next-step-coaching-career. Retrieved November 29, 2015.
- "Matt Campbell leaves Toledo to take over program at Iowa State". The Plain Dealer. Associated Press. November 29, 2015. http://www.cleveland.com/sports/college/index.ssf/2015/11/matt_campbell_leaves_toledo_to.html. Retrieved November 29, 2015.
- James, Bob (November 29, 2015). "Iowa State Hires New Football Coach". KHAK. http://khak.com/iowa-state-hires-new-football-coach/. Retrieved November 29, 2015.
- Donia, Joey (November 29, 2015). "Iowa State football names Matt Campbell Head Coach". KWQC-TV. http://kwqc.com/2015/11/29/iowa-state-football-names-matt-campbell-head-coach/. Retrieved November 29, 2015.
- Silka, Zach (December 11, 2011). "Born to coach: Campbell comes from football family". The Blade. http://www.toledoblade.com/UT/2011/12/11/Born-to-coach-Campbell-comes-from-football-family.html. Retrieved November 29, 2015.
- Porter, Todd (December 12, 2011). "Toledo names Perry grad Matt Campbell head coach". The Repository. http://www.cantonrep.com/article/20111212/NEWS/312129858. Retrieved November 29, 2015.
- Wolken, Dan (October 20, 2015). "For No. 20 Toledo and Matt Campbell, little things lead to big success". USA Today. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/mac/2015/10/20/toledo-rockets-college-football-coach-matt-campbell/74271496/. Retrieved November 29, 2015.
- Zucker, Joseph. "Matt Campbell, Iowa St. Agree to New 6-Year, $22.5M Contract After 7-5 Season". http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2746353-matt-campbell-iowa-st-agree-to-new-6-year-225m-contract-after-7-5-season.
- "Iowa State's Matt Campbell named Big 12 Coach of the Year - The Gazette". http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/college/football/iowa-states-matt-campbell-named-big-12-coach-of-year-20171130.