Addison with the Carolina Panthers in 2014
|Date of birth:September 6, 1987|
|Place of birth: Birmingham, Alabama|
|College: Northeast Mississippi, Troy|
|Undrafted in 2011|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
|* Chicago Bears ( 2011)|
|Roster status: Active|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
Mario Addison (born September 6, 1987) is an American football outside linebacker for the Carolina Panthers of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Troy University. He was signed by the Chicago Bears as an undrafted free agent in 2011.
After playing at Northeast Mississippi Community College for two years, Addison signed to play with Troy University. After redshirting his first year in 2008, he began seeing playing time in 2009 as a reserve player at the defensive end position. Despite being a reserve player, he saw action in all 13 games during the season and recorded 2.5 sacks and 6.0 tackles for loss.
In 2010 during his senior season, Addison broke out as a star player for Troy. He recorded 10.5 sacks, 15.5 tackles for loss, and 3 forced fumbles on the season. He was named to the All-Sun Belt Second Team following the end of the season. Addison began receiving attention from various NFL teams for his performance that year, but was never drafted.
Addison was signed on July 26, 2011 by the Chicago Bears as an undrafted free agent. He was cut by the Bears on November 21, 2011 to free up space on the 53-man roster for veteran players to cover the injuries picked up by long snapper Patrick Mannelly and quarterback Jay Cutler in the previous day's 31-20 victory over the San Diego Chargers. He had only played in two games with the team.
On October 1, 2012, Addison was waived by the Colts, but added to the practice squad the next day.
Addison was signed off the Colts' practice squad by the Washington Redskins on October 9, 2012. After playing five games with the Redskins, he was waived by the team on November 29. He was signed to the practice squad the next day.
Addison was signed on December 4, 2012 by the Carolina Panthers from the Redskins' practice squad.
On June 18, 2014, he signed a two-year contract extension. Through the first five games of the 2014 season, Addison led the Panthers with five sacks and pass rush productivity. Addison contributed to the Panthers in 2015 with 6.0 sacks on one of the league's best defenses.
On February 26, 2017, Addison signed a three-year contract extension with the Panthers after leading the team with 9.5 sacks in 2016.
Addison is a member of the Rho Delta Delta chapter of Omega Psi Phi fraternity at Troy University. Addison is a Christian. Addison attended Tarrant High School outside of Birmingham, Alabama. At Tarrant, he lettered in varsity football and basketball for four years. He originally played running back, but was moved to quarter back after the injury of the original starter. After suffering a broken hand on his throwing arm, he changed positions to defensive end. He was recruited lightly as a high school senior and chose to enroll in Northeast Community College in Booneville, Mississippi after graduation. He was a two year starter for the Northeast Tigers and was awarded an athletic scholarship to Troy University in Troy, Alabama.
- "Bears agree to terms with 26 rookies". Chicagobears.com. July 26, 2011. http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?STORY_ID=7988. Retrieved August 4, 2012.[dead link]
- "Mario Addison : USATODAY.com - Mario Addison Biography from USATODAY.com". Fantasyfootball.usatoday.com. http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/content/player.asp?sport=NFL&id=6867. Retrieved August 4, 2012.[dead link]
- McCollough, Collin (November 23, 2011). "Colts Cut Darren Evans Again, Sign DE Mario Addison". Stampede Blue. http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/11/23/2582489/colts-cut-darren-evans-again-sign-de-mario-addison. Retrieved August 4, 2012.
- Tinsman, Brian (October 9, 2012). "Redskins Release Cundiff, Sign Forbath". Redskins.com. http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Redskins-Release-Cundiff-Sign-Forbath/89393019-1f71-49f3-80b8-33c955393115. Retrieved October 9, 2012.
- Tinsman, Brian (November 29, 2012). "Redskins Claim Kehl, Waive Addison". Redskins.com. http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Redskins-Claim-Kehl-Waive-Addison/1e960ac8-85d3-446a-bca1-23748af79fff. Retrieved December 1, 2012.
- Tinsman, Brian (November 30, 2012). "Redskins Add Addison To Practice Squad". Redskins.com. http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Redskins-Add-Addison-To-Practice-Squad/de943f6c-0dd9-4a7a-a306-a7cf8feb7fa5. Retrieved December 1, 2012.
- "Carolina Panthers Sign Three To Contract Extensions". http://www.wfmynews2.com/story/sports/local/2014/06/18/panthers-sign-three-to-contract-extensions/10762513/.
- "PFF News & Analysis | Pro Football Focus". https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/10/10/pff-preview-panthers-bengals-week-6/.
- "Super Bowl 50 - Denver Broncos vs. Carolina Panthers - February 7th, 2016". Pro-Football-Reference.com. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201602070den.htm. Retrieved September 2, 2017.
- Strickland, Bryan (February 26, 2017). "Panthers re-sign Mario Addison". http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Panthers-re-sign-Mario-Addison/135a5e05-d436-42aa-ad61-e6c359254a90.