Gray with the Buffalo Bills
|Date of birth:November 7, 1989|
|Place of birth: Indianapolis, Indiana|
|Undrafted in 2013|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
|* San Francisco 49ers ( 2013)*|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
MarQueis Gray (born November 7, 1989) is an American football tight end who is currently a free agent. He played college football at Minnesota, and signed with the San Francisco 49ers as an undrafted free agent in 2013. Gray has also been a member of the Cleveland Browns, Buffalo Bills, Minnesota Vikings, and Miami Dolphins.
High school careerEdit
Gray went to Ben Davis High School in Indianapolis, Indiana. There, he was coached by Mike Kirschner, where he was a three-year starter. He was rated as a four-star prospect by Rivals.com, as well as the No. 3 dual-threat quarterback in the nation and the No. 1 player in the state of Indiana by Rivals. He received four stars from Scout.com, which ranks him as the nation's No. 14 high school quarterback, and ESPN.com's No. 13 quarterback nationally, where he was selected to participate in the Elite 11 Quarterback Camp, and played in the prestigious U.S. Army All-American Bowl, completing 3-of-7 passes for 56 yards and a touchdown, while rushing for 41 yards and a touchdown. He missed the majority of his senior season after suffering a broken bone in his non-throwing arm, and saw action in just five games during 2007, including three after returning from the injury, and connected on 26-of-41 passes for 376 yards and three touchdowns while also rushing for 302 yards on 64 carries with four touchdowns and caught five passes for 86 yards and a score. As a junior, he completed 73 of 140 passes for 1,113 yards and 12 touchdowns, while rushing for 603 yards and seven touchdowns on 127 carries. He earned honorable mention Class 5A all-state honors.
Gray committed to University of Minnesota on January 5, 2008. Gray also had a football scholarships from the University of Cincinnati, the University of Illinois, Indiana University, the University of Iowa, Kentucky University, Michigan State University, the University of Oregon, and Purdue University.
|Name||Hometown||High school / college||Height||Weight||40‡||Commit date|
| MarQueis Gray|
|Indianapolis, Indiana||Ben Davis High School||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)||220 lb (100 kg)||4.48||Jan 5, 2008|
|Scout:75px Rivals:75px ESPN grade: 80|
|Overall recruiting rankings: Scout: 14 (QB) Rivals: 3 (QB), 1 (IN) ESPN: 13 (QB)|
Gray returned to the team in the spring of 2009 and impressed observers in the Golden Gophers' spring game. Gray played in 2009 as both a quarterback and wide receiver. He had a breakout game against Ohio State going 5-of-6 passing for 51 yards and tossing his first touchdown pass, all career highs, he also had a career day running ball against the Buckeyes with career highs of 11 carries and 81 yards. He scored his first collegiate touchdown on a reception against Cal. He finished his freshman season with 265 yards rushing, he ended the regular season as the team's fourth-leading rusher.
Gray played both positions in the Insight Bowl, inserted as a backup to starting quarterback Adam Weber going 1-of-2 for 11 yards, with three carries for 34 yards. One of those carries — in the fourth quarter — resulted in a fumble, recovered by Iowa State who were able to run out the clock for a 14-13 victory. Gray also caught two passes for 37 yards.
As a sophomore in 2010, Gray made appearances in all 12 games including seven starts at wide receiver, where he tallied 42 catches for 587 yards and hauled in five touchdowns. He also had 119 rushing yards on 23 carries while completing two of eight passes for 24 yards.
In 2012, in the Gophers' second game against New Hampshire, Gray surpassed Rickey Foggie and Billy Cockerham with the fifth 100-yard rushing game of his career. He was moved to wide receiver for the rest of the season to allow Philip Nelson to start.
At the NFL Scouting Combine, Gray posted a 4.30-second 20-yard shuttle, a 7.25 three-cone drill, a 111.0-inch broad jump, a 30.0-inch vertical jump, a 15-repetition bench press, and ran a 4.73-second forty-yard dash, the fourth fastest time among quarterbacks. Though he played some wide receiver in college, Gray worked out with the quarterback group at the NFL Scouting Combine.
San Francisco 49ersEdit
After going undrafted at the 2013 NFL Draft, Gray signed with the San Francisco 49ers. Initially Gray worked out as a halfback but soon moved to tight end. During the 2013 preseason, Gray caught one pass for 13 yards against the Kansas City Chiefs. Gray was later cut by the team on August 30.
On September 1, 2013, Gray was claimed off waivers by the Cleveland Browns. He was used mostly as a blocking tight end and a fullback/H-back, and was also the emergency third string quarterback. Gray was waived by the Browns on August 30, 2014 during the final round of roster cuts.
On August 31, 2014, Gray was claimed off waivers by the Minnesota Vikings, but was waived by the team on November 19, 2014 to make room for the newly acquired Ben Tate. He caught one pass with the Vikings for 16 yards, in their loss against the Green Bay Packers in Week 5.
On November 20, 2014, Gray was claimed off waivers by the Buffalo Bills, On October 6, 2015, the Bills sent Gray to season ending injured reserve with a broken forearm. He would finish the season with just one catch for two yards in four games.
On March 31, 2016, Gray signed with the Miami Dolphins. On December 29, 2016, he signed a two-year contract extension with the Dolphins. Gray has taken snaps at fullback as well for the Dolphins, occasionally receiving short-yardage carries. Overall, in the 2016 season, he finished with 14 receptions for 174 yards in 16 games. In the 2017 season, he appeared in all 16 games and finished with five carries for 14 yards and one reception for 10 yards.
- ↑ Miller, Phil. "MarQueis Gray seeks song of salvation". Star Tribune. http://www.startribune.com/marqueis-gray-seeks-song-of-salvation/128534313/.
- ↑ "Minnesota Gophers hope they struck gold in QB recruit MarQueis Gray" (in en-US). Twin Cities. February 4, 2008. https://www.twincities.com/2008/02/04/minnesota-gophers-hope-they-struck-gold-in-qb-recruit-marqueis-gray/.
- ↑ "MarQueis Gray". Rivals.com. https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-MarQueis-Gray-62076. Retrieved October 7, 2011.
- ↑ "MarQueis Gray". Scout.com. http://www.scout.com/a.z?s=128&p=8&c=1&nid=2956058. Retrieved October 7, 2011.
- ↑ "Gray Won't Play for Gophers This Year: QB Will Have To Retake ACT After His Score Ruled Invalid". St. Paul Pioneer Press. September 2, 2008. http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=PD&s_site=twincities&p_multi=SP&p_theme=realcities&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=122FDFD39F11E350&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM.
- ↑ Rittenberg, Adam (September 1, 2008). "Highly touted QB Gray won't player for Gophers in 2008". ESPN.com. http://espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3563796.
- ↑ "Eligibility issue forces Minnesota QB Gray off team". USA Today. August 25, 2008. https://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/bigten/2008-08-25-minnesota-gray_N.htm.
- ↑ "Gray Passes, Flying Colors: Backup QB Shows He's Worth the Wait; Offense Puts 2008 Behind It". St. Paul Pioneer Press: p. C3 Sports. April 26, 2009. http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=PD&s_site=twincities&p_multi=SP&p_theme=realcities&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=127E5134727BDFB8&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM.
- ↑ "QB MarQueis Gray stars for Gophers in spring game". Associated Press. KARE11. April 25, 2009. http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=649345. Retrieved August 20, 2013.
- ↑ "QB In Training: The Gophers' MarQueis Gray, Unlike Ohio State Counterpart Terrelle Pryor, Is A Young Quarterback Who's Being Allowed To Take His Lumps Away From The Spotlight". St. Paul Pioneer Press: p. C1 Sports. October 21, 2009. http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=PD&s_site=twincities&p_multi=SP&p_theme=realcities&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=12B8571C06AFBF08&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM.
- ↑ "Gophers at No. 18 Ohio State: Gray waiting in wings to be a 'playmaker'". Star Tribune. October 23, 2009. http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=MN&p_theme=mn&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=12B87D48EB7BE5A0&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM.
- ↑ "Minnesota at Ohio State Box Score, October 24, 2009" (in en). https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/boxscores/2009-10-24-ohio-state.html.
- ↑ "Ohio State 38, Minnesota 7". United Press International. October 24, 2009. http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2009/10/24/COL-FB-Ohio-State-38-Minnesota-7/UPI-85741256421356/.
- ↑ "More Than A Shade of Gray: U Freshman To See Increased Duty in Two-QB System". St. Paul Pioneer Press: p. D1 Sports. October 29, 2009. http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=PD&s_site=twincities&p_multi=SP&p_theme=realcities&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=12BAA4B5D31CA788&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM.
- ↑ "California at Minnesota Box Score, September 19, 2009" (in en). https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/boxscores/2009-09-19-minnesota.html.
- ↑ "2009 Minnesota Golden Gophers Stats" (in en). https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/minnesota/2009.html.
- ↑ "Marqueis Gray 2009 Game Log" (in en). https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/marqueis-gray-1/gamelog/2009/.
- ↑ "Gray given wide berth Highly regarded QB says he's happy to help Gophers at receiver". St. Paul Pioneer Press. December 30, 2009. http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=PD&s_site=twincities&p_multi=SP&p_theme=realcities&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=12CF18D918FB2C10&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM.
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 "Box Score. Minnesota 13, Iowa St 14". ESPN. http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=293650066. Retrieved August 21, 2013.
- ↑ Peterson, Randy (January 1, 2013). "Iowa State holds off Minnesota 14-13 in Insight Bowl". Des Moines Register (USA Today). http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/bowls/2009-12-31-insight-bowl-iowa-state-minnesota_N.htm.
- ↑ "Insight Bowl - Minnesota vs Iowa State Box Score, December 31, 2009" (in en). https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/boxscores/2009-12-31-iowa-state.html.
- ↑ "Marqueis Gray 2010 Game Log" (in en). https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/marqueis-gray-1/gamelog/2010.
- ↑ Miller, Phil (November 8, 2010). "Gophers fall, with a touch of Gray". Star Tribune. http://www.startribune.com/templates/Print_This_Story?sid=106828648.
- ↑ Katzenstein, Josh (November 7, 2010). "Gray finally gets snaps under center". Minnesota Daily. http://www.mndaily.com/2010/11/07/notebook-gray-finally-gets-snaps-under-center.
- ↑ Miller, Phil (December 17, 2010). "Kill makes call early: Gray to be starting QB". Star Tribune. http://www.startribune.com/templates/Print_This_Story?sid=112040389.
- ↑ "Marqueis Gray 2011 Game Log" (in en). https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/marqueis-gray-1/gamelog/2011.
- ↑ "Marqueis Gray 2012 Game Log" (in en). https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/marqueis-gray-1/gamelog/2012.
- ↑ "Marqueis Gray Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com". Sports Reference. https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/marqueis-gray-1.html. Retrieved May 22, 2013.
- ↑ Hanzus, Dan (February 22, 2013). "Collin Klein asked to work with tight ends at combine". National Football League. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000143843/article/collin-klein-asked-to-work-with-tight-ends-at-combine. Retrieved February 22, 2013.
- ↑ "MarQueis Gray". National Football League. http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/marqueis-gray?id=2540259. Retrieved August 20, 2013.
- ↑ Mason, Tyler (April 27, 2013). "Gray, Stoudermire go undrafted but land with 49ers, Bengals respectively". FOX Sports. http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/collegefootball/minnesota-golden-gophers/story/Gray-Stoudermire-go-undrafted-but-land-w?blockID=897003.
- ↑ Goessling, Ben (April 27, 2013). "NFL draft: Ex-Gopher MarQueis Gray signs with 49ers". St. Paul Pioneer Press. http://www.twincities.com/ci_23124288/nfl-draft-ex-gopher-marqueis-gray-signs-49ers.
- ↑ Price, Taylor (May 11, 2013). "MarQueis Gray Adjusts to New Position". San Francisco 49ers. https://www.49ers.com/news/marqueis-gray-adjusts-to-new-position-10130208. Retrieved August 20, 2013.
- ↑ "49ers Roster, 90-in-90 breakdowns: MarQueis Gray". Niners Nation (Vox Media). July 25, 2013. http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/7/25/4554180/49ers-roster-90-in-90-marqueis-gray.
- ↑ "Box Score. 49ers 15, Chiefs 13". ESPN. http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=330816012.
- ↑ "Statistics". San Francisco 49ers. http://www.49ers.com/team/statistics.html. Retrieved August 20, 2013.
- ↑ Pesek, Steve (September 1, 2013). "Former Gopher MarQueis Gray cut by 49ers". http://goldandgopher.com/2013/09/01/former-gopher-marqueis-gray-cut-by-49ers/.
- ↑ Fucillo, David (September 1, 2013). "NFL roster cuts: MarQueis Gray claimed off waivers by Cleveland Browns". http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/9/1/4683454/nfl-roster-cuts-marqueis-gray-waivers-claim-cleveland-browns.
- ↑ "Archived copy". Archived from the original on August 25, 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20130825155405/http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49. Retrieved October 19, 2013.
- ↑ "MarQueis Gray 2013 Game Log" (in en). https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GrayMa00/gamelog/2013/.
- ↑ "Browns reduce roster to 53". August 30, 2014. https://web.archive.org/web/20180131023341/http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-1/Browns-reduce-roster-to-53/4553953d-05cc-45f6-9fc2-69b603734771.
- ↑ "MarQueis Gray claimed off waivers very reluctantlyby Vikings". https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/506118440835231744.
- ↑ "Vikings claim RB Ben Tate Off Waivers". November 19, 2014. https://www.vikings.com/news/vikings-claim-rb-ben-tate-off-waivers-14279190.
- ↑ "MarQueis Gray Stats". https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GrayMa00.htm. Retrieved November 11, 2014.
- ↑ "Minnesota Vikings at Green Bay Packers - October 2nd, 2014" (in en). https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201410020gnb.htm.
- ↑ "TE Gray set with Bills as RB Tanner dispatched". http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball/update/24823794/te-gray-set-with-bills-as-rb-tanner-dispatched.
- ↑ "MarQueis Gray 2015 Game Log" (in en). https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GrayMa00/gamelog/2015.
- ↑ "PRESS RELEASE: Dolphins Make Roster Moves". March 31, 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20180116140014/http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/press-releases/article-1/PRESS-RELEASE-Dolphins-Make-Roster-Moves/68b67fc1-710c-4882-b9c8-9b9980dae747. Retrieved December 29, 2016.
- ↑ "Dolphins, MarQueis Gray agree to two-year contract extension". December 29, 2016. http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article123606579.html.
- ↑ "MarQueis Gray 2016 Game Log" (in en). https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GrayMa00/gamelog/2016.
- ↑ "MarQueis Gray 2017 Game Log" (in en). https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GrayMa00/gamelog/2017.
- ↑ "Dolphins Sign Escobar, Place Gray On IR". September 6, 2018. https://www.miamidolphins.com/news/dolphins-sign-escobar-place-gray-on-ir.