|Assistant offensive line coach|
|Date of birth:June 26, 1979|
|Place of birth: Steger, Illinois|
|Undrafted in 2002|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
| As player:|
* Chicago Bears (2002)*
| As coach:|
* Oregon (2005–2006)
|Career highlights and awards|
Playing career[edit | edit source]
He attended training camp with the Bears in 2002 and the San Diego Chargers in 2003. Butkus also played center for the Rhein Fire (2003) and Cologne Centurions (2004) of NFL Europe. He attended Bloom Trail High School in Chicago Heights, Illinois and the University of Illinois.
Coaching career[edit | edit source]
Prior to joining the Bears, he spent the two years as a graduate assistant coach at the University of Oregon (2005–06). While the announcement that the tenure of Quality Control coaches Butkus and Charles London would end came on the same day as the public learned that several Bears' offensive coaches would be fired, leading to speculation that London and Butkus were fired for performance issues, the team would later clarify that the Quality Control coaches were signed to contracts set to expire after the 2009/10 season, regardless of the team's final standing.
Butkus joined the Seattle Seahawks on February 1, 2010 as an assistant offensive line coach. Butkus left the Seahawk organization on January 3, 2011 and spent three seasons with the NFL's Jacksonville Jaguars. He was offered a position with his alma mater, the University of Illinois, by new Illini head coach Tim Beckman. Butkus continued in 2016 as offensive line coach to new head coach Lovie Smith.
Personal life[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "Former Bears assistants land NFL jobs". http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/01/former-bears-assistants-land-nfl-jobs.html.
- "Illinois hires John Tenuta to lead defense". ESPN. January 3, 2016. http://espn.go.com/chicago/ncf/story/_/id/7421269/illinois-hired-jon-tenuta-defensive-coordinator-assistant-coaches-luke-butkus-chris-beatty. "Luke Butkus returns to his alma mater for his second stint as offensive line coach at the University of Illinois in 2016."
- Evans, Thayer (March 8, 2016). "Jaguars' Luke Butkus will be new offensive line coach at Illinois". Sports Illustrated. https://www.si.com/college-football/2016/03/08/luke-butkus-joining-illinois-lovie-smith-jacksonville-jaguars. Retrieved June 23, 2017.
- "Packers name Luke Butkus assistant offensive line coach". February 7, 2019. https://www.packers.com/news/packers-name-luke-butkus-assistant-offensive-line-coach. Retrieved February 19, 2019.
- Reinmuth, Gary (November 2, 2001). "Doing uncle proud". Chicago Tribune. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2001-11-02/sports/0111020281_1_toughness-middle-linebacker-dick-butkus-illinois. Retrieved June 23, 2017.