Delmas with the Detroit Lions
|No. 26, 25|
|Date of birth:April 12, 1987|
|Place of birth: Delmas, Haiti|
|College: Western Michigan|
|NFL Draft: 2009 / Round: 2 / Pick: 33|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
|* Detroit Lions ( 2009– 2013)|
|Career highlights and awards|
|* Second-team All-MAC (2007)
|Stats at NFL.com|
Louis Delmas (French pronunciation: [lwi dɛl.ma]; born April 12, 1987) is a former American football safety. He was drafted by the Detroit Lions in the second round of the 2009 NFL Draft. He played college football at Western Michigan. He was also a member of the Miami Dolphins.
Delmas is of Haitian descent. He was born in Delmas, a commune in the Port-au-Prince area in Haiti, on a street named Delmas 25 and moved to Miami, Florida at age 11. When he first arrived he did not speak any English.
High school career
Delmas played high school football at North Miami Beach High School in North Miami Beach, Florida.
Delmas played college football at Western Michigan from 2005–2008. The Broncos made the 2008 Texas Bowl in his senior year but lost to Rice 38–14. Delmas was named to the All-MAC Defensive First Team in 2008 and played in the 2009 Senior Bowl All-Star game.
2009 NFL Draft
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|5 ft 11 in||202 lb||4.52 s||1.50 s||2.56 s||4.17 s||6.67 s||37 in||10 ft 6 in||12 reps|
He was signed by the Lions to a four-year contract. Delmas returned a 65-yard fumble for a touchdown in Week 1 of the 2009 season against the New Orleans Saints. Delmas won September's rookie defensive player of the month award. On December 20, 2009, Delmas became the first rookie in NFL history to record an interception return for a touchdown, a fumble return for a touchdown and a safety in the same season. He is only the second player in NFL history to accomplish the feats in the same season. He was named 2009 Detroit Lions Rookie of the Year in voting by the Detroit Sports Broadcasters Association.
On March 15, 2013, Delmas re-signed with the Lions to a two-year contract worth $9.465 million.
On October 6, 2013, Lions' center Dominic Raiola was involved in an incident of trash-talking and hate speech to members of the UW-Madison marching band. Louis Delmas is credited with both apologizing for his teammate's actions and having a word with Raiola off the field.
Delmas was released on February 13, 2014.
On March 10, 2014, Delmas signed a one-year deal with the Miami Dolphins. The contract is worth a maximum of $3.5 million. He wore number 25, honoring the street name he was born on in Haiti. On December 8, 2014, he was placed on Injured reserve after he tore his right ACL against the Baltimore Ravens.
He was resigned by the Dolphins on March 20, 2015.
|Year||Team||GP||COMB||TOTAL||AST||SACK||FF||FR||FR YDS||INT||IR YDS||AVG IR||LNG||TD||PD|
On April 4, 2017, it was reported that Delmas had been arrested by the Miami-Dade Police for resisting arrest without violence. Delmas was a passenger in a vehicle that was pulled over for speeding 76 MPH in a 40 MPH speed limit zone. The driver, Andry Madrigal, was suspected of driving under the influence and failed sobriety test on the scene. A breath sample that was subsequently taken at the station measured 0.164, which is twice the legal 0.08 limit. Delmas continued to yell while the police officers conducted the field sobriety tests and was arrested after ignoring multiple requests. He was processed at the Miami-Dade Police station before posting a $500 bond.
- "Chart: Haitian Americans in the NFL". https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/04/AR2010020401827.html. Retrieved March 10, 2014.
- Perkins, Chris (October 28, 2014). "Haitian Dolphins Louis Delmas, Terrence Fede winning friends, influencing people". http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-haitian-dolphins-1026-20141028-story.html#page=1. Retrieved May 14, 2016.
- ESPN.com Senior bowl roster finalized Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Webarchive/data' not found.. Myespn.go.com. Retrieved on May 30, 2012.
- 2009 NFL Draft rankings. draftcountdown.com
- Virginia's Sintim, Indiana's Thigpen generating interest; Top 32 shuffled. Sports.espn.go.com (November 21, 2008). Retrieved on 2012-05-30.
- "Louis Delmas wins first-ever defensive rookie player of the month award for Lions", Mlive.com, October 1, 2009, http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/10/louis_delmas_wins_first-ever_r.html
- Twentyman, Tim (December 21, 2009), "Key play: Delmas pick goes long distance", The Detroit News, http://www.detnews.com/article/20091221/SPORTS0101/912210314/1004/rookie-louis-delmas-furious-after-latest-lions-loss/Key-play--Delmas-pick-goes-long-distance
- Detroit Lions: Louis Delmas, September 19, 2011, http://www.detroitlions.com/team/roster/Louis-Delmas/a96da045-186f-43a1-8947-389a357bb3e2
- "Stafford, Suh, and Delmas named Pro Bowl alternates", detroitlions.com, January 6, 2012, http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions-insider/article-1/Stafford-Suh-and-Delmas-named-Pro-Bowl-alternates/76971202-e7e6-41e4-9545-75656672329f
- Louis Delmas back with Lions
- Sorgi, Jay. "Lions player tosses epithets, spits at UW Band members during Packers game". Today's TMJ4. NBC. Archived from the original on October 7, 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20131007172153/http://www.jrn.com/tmj4/green-bay-packers/Report-Lions-player-tosses-epithets-at-UW-Band-during-Packers-game-226755831.html. Retrieved December 8, 2015.
- Louis Delmas, Miami Dolphins strike one-year deal
- Louis Delmas to IR for Dolphins with torn ACL
- Alper, Josh (March 20, 2015). "Dolphins bring back Louis Delmas, LaMichael James". NBCSports.com. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/20/dolphins-bring-back-louis-delmas-lamichael-james/. Retrieved April 5, 2015.
- "Louis Delmas Stats". ESPN Internet Ventures. http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/12528/louis-delmas. Retrieved July 29, 2015.
- Neal, David (April 4, 2017). "Former Dolphins player arrested after cops say he yelled during friend’s sobriety test". https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article142618244.html. Retrieved April 25, 2018.
- Dwork, David (April 4, 2017). "Former Dolphins Player Louis Delmas Arrested In Miami". https://www.miami.cbslocal.com/2017/04/04/former-dolphins-player-louis-delmas-arrested-in-miami/. Retrieved April 4, 2017.